Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,802,856 Members 38,574 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

To root or not to root the s5?

Tip us?

Goldie
Old
(Last edited by Goldie; 14th June 2014 at 08:33 AM.)
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 16,596

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by devoidx View Post
I think as of right now there is no good reason to root the S5....none of the current ROMs are worth breaking the warranty for and we aren't lagging behind the android OS versions that we want urgently catch up to. My advice would be to wait until more advanced rooting methods come around that bypass the knox tripping or until CM, AOKP, AOSP etc ROMS start rolling out or if we get a couple of Android OS versions behind, whichever comes first
Oh yeah.... Wait til Cm... AOKP etc and lose most of what makes your s5 an s5!? Samsung based roms keep all that and can add as much customisation as them. Why you would buy an s5 then put aosp on it and turn it into a glorified nexus is beyond me. Just buy a nexus!

Touchwiz has this stigma since it actually was bad on s1. Since then it's been getting better and better and on the s5 it's actually very good.

Samsung based rom's keep all the Sammy functionality and can be just as customisable as cm etc without breaking integral things like camera etc. To say they are not worthy of rooting for is simply ludicrous imo

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
If you think its worth it......you could buy me a beer
The Following User Says Thank You to Goldie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Glock3am
Old
Thanks Meter 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by homer285 View Post
IMO, if not rooted, ROMed etc, why come to XDA Developers website, you know what I mean?

I do it first day on all devices, have'nt bricked one yet not!

I love to tweak the hell out of the device, rid it of bloat, block adds, not to mention the advantages of more regular updates and fixes.

Also if using custom ROM you're getting a ROM that has had many man/team hours spent on it rather than a ROM developed for a commercial mass production, theres a comment above that states "no ROM is worthy of flashing on S5 yet" well I'd like to ask you, how the hell do you know if you have'nt flashed anything yet?
Whilst I agree with most of your reasons, blocking ads deprives hard-working devs of their income and cheats the system - I don't think it's a very noble thing to do.

Plus the statement about custom ROMs having many man hours spent on them compared to stock is a bit ludicrous. Do you think Samsung just throws them out there themselves without also having plenty of development time and testing? They have the money and time to spend on it unlike most ROM developers doing it in there spare time here and there for a few PayPal bucks.

I'm yet to have a custom ROM that didn't lose some functionality or have a few crashes here and there whereas stock ROMs are pretty much as stable as it gets.

I love rooting and the custom ROM scene as much as the next man, but let's be realistic here.

bradthemarsh
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I held out on getting root right from launch day in April until a few days ago.

Now that towelroot has been invented, I was able to root while still having a 0x0 Knox reading, and totally official Rom status.

I love it! The best of both worlds, warranty, root, and stability. The only issue I ran into was after installing xposed, I couldn't get s health to work. Even after following all the step by step instructions.

I uninstalled xposed, and s health is good again.

But mainly my favourite part is greenify and titanium backup. To be able to freeze background processes that I don't often use, but still have them.

I find my phone is running a lot quicker just from that.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

gee2012
Old
(Last edited by gee2012; 7th July 2014 at 09:16 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock3am View Post
Whilst I agree with most of your reasons, blocking ads deprives hard-working devs of their income and cheats the system - I don't think it's a very noble thing to do.

Plus the statement about custom ROMs having many man hours spent on them compared to stock is a bit ludicrous. Do you think Samsung just throws them out there themselves without also having plenty of development time and testing? They have the money and time to spend on it unlike most ROM developers doing it in there spare time here and there for a few PayPal bucks.

I'm yet to have a custom ROM that didn't lose some functionality or have a few crashes here and there whereas stock ROMs are pretty much as stable as it gets.

I love rooting and the custom ROM scene as much as the next man, but let's be realistic here.
I respect and admire the hard and good work the rom and kernel devs do but most roms/kernels are sometimes not as stable as the stock rom. You flash a custom rom/kernel at your own risk while Samsung covers software errors under warranty, that says it all imo My device is not rooted atm as i only have it recently and i wanr to try it out as it is and its running well. I may root in the future though if i feel like it.
USE Search: /this thread /all threads/Google before posting your question, you`re most likely not the first one having this issue

Lowresolution
Old
Thanks Meter 10
I am still debating to root my s5 or not. Still stock so far. A couple of questions

1-) Is there any stable AOSP rom available ?
2-) Any list available regarding the bloatware that is to be removed ? ( international S5 version )

thatsupnow
Old
Thanks Meter 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowresolution View Post
I am still debating to root my s5 or not. Still stock so far. A couple of questions

1-) Is there any stable AOSP rom available ?
2-) Any list available regarding the bloatware that is to be removed ? ( international S5 version )
A simple search will get all the answers you need.

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Samsung Galaxy s5 - CM 11 5ubz3r0 theme
KT kernel 2.7 GHZ

Other phones:

Samsung Galaxy S4 I337M
Samsung Galaxy S3 I747M
Sony Play, Arc, X10

monsterkruemel
Old
(Last edited by monsterkruemel; 8th July 2014 at 09:48 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
I didnīt even think about not rooting. If there had been no root-option and no custom roms here on xda i would not have bought the S5.

Root with towelroot.

TWRP Recovery.

Perfectly happy with my extremely debloated ROM, Xposed Frameword and Gravity Box KK.

Works flawlessly!