Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,130 Members 53,836 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Kernel][ION+PMEM][CM11] Just Another... Stage 6.2 (08/07/2014)

Tip us?

coliv_aja
Old
Thanks Meter 355

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoo View Post
op updated with

JAKStage6.1-UV-HM_407MB - 3.4.95
  • enabled ANDROID_BG_SCAN_MEM in config and added some kernel/scheduler commits to make lowmemorykiller 'scan free memory more frequently' work. (Commit: staging: android: lmk: check free memory when tasks switch to background)
  • disabled QuickWakeUp Driver because of no significant less power consumption

Commits:

Code:
- Revert "audit: kiss goodbye you stupid piece of crap logging messages." (Credits to tycoo)
- sched: convert WARN_ON() to printk_sched() in try_to_wake_up_local() (Credits to Syed Rameez Mustafa)
- tracing/sched: add load balancer tracepoint (Credits to Steve Muckle)
- sched: change WARN_ON_ONCE to WARN_ON in try_to_wake_up_local() (Credits to Steve Muckle)
- sched: remove migration notification from RT class (Credits to Steve Muckle)
- sched: fix reference to wrong cfs_rq (Credits to Srivatsa Vaddagiri)
- sched: Fix SCHED_HRTICK bug leading to late preemption of tasks (Credits to Srivatsa Vaddagiri)
- sched: Mark schedule_io_timeout() with EXPORT_SYMBOL (Credits to Jordan Crouse)
- sched: provide per cpu-cgroup option to notify on migrations (Credits to Steve Muckle)
- sched: fix rq->lock recursion (Credits to Srivatsa Vaddagiri)
- Squashed update of kernel from 3.4.94 to 3.4.95 (Credits to Cristoforo Cataldo)
- Add default configuration for JAKStage6 (Credits to tycoo)
With zram that much it's lagging to much.

tycoo
Old
(Last edited by tycoo; 1st July 2014 at 03:41 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by coliv_aja View Post
With zram that much it's lagging to much.
Sad to hear. For me a higher amount of zram makes the whole system much smoother atm.

Did you wipe cache and dalvik cache before reboot? What app is lagging for you?

Nevertheless you can use Performance Control to easy disable zram or decrease the values for zram and/or vm swappiness (link in op).

EDIT: Well i read some recent posts of you, you are a experienced user and i guess you did everything right. So, just plz reply what exactly is lagging for you. Could it be that it is maybe a certain app issue?
*Samsung Galaxy Wonder / LCD Rev.3* *i8150XXLMI*
*CyanogenMod 11.0 (20140713-UNOFFICIAL)* * JAKStage6.3 - 3.4.98* *CWM 6.0.5.0*
My must-have root mods & apps:
Xposed Framework / Performance Control / ViPER4Android FX - XHiFi
AFWall+ / MyPhoneExplorer / Link2SD / FolderMount / Helium / UsageTimelines Free

.. Cyanogenmod 11 + AriesVE-DevConnection-Team - 'Masters of ION'

coliv_aja
Old
Thanks Meter 355

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Sad to hear. For me a higher amount of zram makes the whole system much smoother atm.

Did you wipe cache and dalvik cache before reboot? What app is lagging for you?

Nevertheless you can use Performance Control to easy disable zram or decrease the values for zram and/or vm swappiness (link in op).

EDIT: Well i read some recent posts of you, you are a experienced user and i guess you did everything right. So, just plz reply what exactly is lagging for you. Could it be that it is maybe a certain app issue?
No, the whole system is getting slower. It's fast at first but getting laggy when zram used reach more than 100mb. I have been lower the zram and it's getting better.

tycoo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 173
Quote:
No, the whole system is getting slower. It's fast at first but getting laggy when zram used reach more than 100mb. I have been lower the zram and it's getting better.
If you dont mind, plz test again with increased zram and vm swappiness set to 100. I am personal using swappiness 100 too, but set it in kernel to default 85 because i thought this value is some more "user friendly".
AFWall+ / MyPhoneExplorer / Link2SD / FolderMount / Helium / UsageTimelines Free

The Following User Says Thank You to tycoo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

coliv_aja
Old
Thanks Meter 355

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
If you dont mind, plz test again with increased zram and vm swappiness set to 100. I am personal using swappiness 100 too, but set it in kernel to default 85 because i thought this value is some more "user friendly".
I will try. But isn't higher compression ratio, cpu will work more which cause performance issue, especially in single core cpu. And zram is using the same ram, so system is forced to save data to zram with less ram available which is slower. Furthermore with higher swappiness, it's forced data to zram until it's full. The problem is when extracting the data from zram which is required more cpu and time, so lagging is avoidable, except for multicore cpu. In my opinion system app is better saved without compression, so the interaction is more fluid, and foreground app can saved to zram when needed, which mean we need to lower the swappiness.
I myself need zram, I'm just using this lil'phone for call/text and chat, and other phone for games and media consumption. Without zram indeed it's annoying because app often need reloading when switching to another app.
Sorry for my bad english, posting with tapatalk is so hard to navigate to check spelling and grammar.

tycoo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 173
Quote:
I will try. But isn't higher compression ratio, cpu will work more which cause performance issue, especially in single core cpu. And zram is using the same ram, so system is forced to save data to zram with less ram available which is slower. Furthermore with higher swappiness, it's forced data to zram until it's full. The problem is when extracting the data from zram which is required more cpu and time, so lagging is avoidable, except for multicore cpu. In my opinion system app is better saved without compression, so the interaction is more fluid, and foreground app can saved to zram when needed, which mean we need to lower the swappiness.
I myself need zram, I'm just using this lil'phone for call/text and chat, and other phone for games and media consumption. Without zram indeed it's annoying because app often need reloading when switching to another app.
Sorry for my bad english, posting with tapatalk is so hard to navigate to check spelling and grammar.
Thanks for your thoughts! And sorry my late reply. I was busy and concentrated my efforts on other topics first. I like to give a precise answer, but then it is not so easy for me and needs some time to find the proper english formulations. I will try it soon again to continue the discussion.

cheers

tycoo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 173
op updated with new kernel. Changelog see 2nd post.

Next kernel i will perhaps enable zram multi compression streams, but have to test it some more first.

cheers

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tycoo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]