Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,733 Members 54,651 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[GUIDE][HOW-TO]Make GPS work on 99% ROMs out there.

Tip us?

deepesh.tickoo
Old
(Last edited by deepesh.tickoo; 9th June 2014 at 10:24 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 313
Default [GUIDE][HOW-TO]Make GPS work on 99% ROMs out there.

Fully working GPS fix for MOST of the ROMs out there.

(For me it worked on every ROM but I need feedbacks to make sure it works on all of them.)

Okey so what we are trying to do here is reduce the Time To First Fix(TTFF) - this the time your device needs to lock on to the first satellite. After that, every subsequent GPS signal should be found much quicker, and it should be more accurate.

Stuff required
  • A rooted MediaTek phone. (Canvas HD in our case)
  • MT GPS EPO Fix App from Play Store.
  • FasterGPS app from Play Store.
  • GPS Test app from Play Store.
  • General knowledge about android.

Instructions
  1. Activate A-GPS & EPO
    You probably already know this, but just in case: In Settings → Location access, activate GPS satellites (on/off switch), then click on GPS satellites.
    Here, activate EPO assistance & A-GPS.
    Enter A-GPS, click Network Request.
    Enter EPO settings, click Auto download, then Download at the bottom.
  2. Download & installEPO files manually
    As you might have noticed, the download function doesn't really work, this is because Mediatek's FTP server seems to be down almost constantly. This has annoyed so many people that there's a thread dedicated to getting the EPO files. So you got two choices:

Download the latest version from MT GPS EPO Fix app(link above)(tested and working perfectly on Canvas HD mt6589).

Now go to Settings → Location access → click the GPS Satellites text(not the on/off switch) → go to EPO settings and you'll notice that under 'EPO FIle Info, the download date and time would be changed to the date you were trying this guide.

OR

Take the hard route and download the files yourself(If the above app doesn't works for you):

Now copy these 2 files (EPO.DAT & EPO.MD5) to /data/misc using a root explorer and change the permissions to rw rw r.
    Example:

Now restart the phone and go to Settings → Location access → click the GPS Satellites text(not the on/off switch) → go to EPO settings and you'll notice that under 'EPO FIle Info, the download date and time would be changed to the date you were trying this guide.

3. Set NTP server
    In order to sync quickly to the satellites, you should always connect to your nearest NTP server. You can do this in FasterGPS app.
    Open the app, grant super user access, and set your continent and country, it will do the rest of the job.

Okey, So now we are done. Reboot the phone, go outside below the open sky and test your GPS with GPS Test app, Google Maps and Sygic: Map My India and report your results here.

An excellent post on "noobs vs developers"
___+++New to XDA?+++___

Read the FORUM RULES first!
'OR'
THIS would happen for sure.

Click below to see my signature picture.
(I always make them myself)

Hit THANKS if I was helpfull in any way.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to deepesh.tickoo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

deepesh.tickoo
Old
(Last edited by deepesh.tickoo; 3rd July 2014 at 03:27 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 313
Frequently Asked Questions[FAQs]

Q. My ROM(probably Lewa OS, MIUI, ColorOS etc) doesn't support AGPS or EPO Settings options in settings, What should I do?
A. Use Engineering Mode(either by Mobile Uncle Tools or by dialing *#*#3646633#*#* in dialer) to use all those settings, Engineering Mode>>swipe right to Location and tap on 'Location Based Service'.

Q. I'm unable to open Engineering Mode using either of the above steps. What next?
A. You should probably contact to your ROM developer.

Q. I'm on CM11 and there is no EPO or A-GPS or Engineering Mode etc, What to do now?
A. Well there IS a fix for CM11 as well but it will not lock the satellites in seconds like in stock because of lack of A-GPS support. Anyways, here it is:
1. Change the GPS mode(Settings>Location>Mode) to 'High Accuracy'.
1. Follow complete tutorial as mentioned above except for step 1 i.e enabling EPO and A-GPS.
2. Now go under the open sky to test it. Mine locked in 20-40 seconds everytime after following this procedure.
NOTE: When using FasterGPS app to set the ntp server(continent and country) it might crash the first time, if so, reopen the app and see if it is configured properly, if not then reconfigure it according to your location. Re-check the app until it shows settings according to your needs.

___+++New to XDA?+++___

'OR'

The Following User Says Thank You to deepesh.tickoo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

deepesh.tickoo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 313
Reserved

___+++New to XDA?+++___

'OR'

The Following User Says Thank You to deepesh.tickoo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

deepesh.tickoo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 313
Reserved 2nd

___+++New to XDA?+++___

'OR'

arnabkhanra
Old
(Last edited by arnabkhanra; 2nd July 2014 at 08:37 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up fixed gps issue in cm11 v0.9 for micromax a116

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepesh.tickoo View Post
Fully working GPS fix for MOST of the ROMs out there.

[CENTER](For me it worked on every ROM but I need feedbacks to make sure it works on all of them.)

[B][SIZE="5"]Okey so what we are trying to do here is reduce the Time To First Fix(TTFF) - this the time your device needs to lock on to the first satellite. After that, every subsequent GPS signal should be found much quicker, ...........................................

Download the latest version from MT GPS EPO Fix app(link above)(tested and working perfectly on Canvas HD mt6589).
[HIDE]Now go to Settings → Location access → click the GPS

Okey, So now we are done. Reboot the phone, go outside below the open sky and test your GPS with GPS Test app, Google Maps and Sygic: Map My India and report your results here.
Locks in seconds. U r awesome

deepesh.tickoo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabkhanra View Post
Locks in seconds. U r awesome
Thanks for the review, but next time avoid quoting whole OP.

___+++New to XDA?+++___

'OR'

harold1603
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Thank you for this

Tags
fix, gps, mediatek, mt6589, mtk