Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

My game got popular in Russia, not at all in USA

OP michalsrb

11th January 2014, 03:46 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Oulu
Thanks Meter: 0
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
More
Hello,

I am writing mostly because of curiosity. I made an android game inspired by one DOS game I used to like when I was kid. With several added features, like online multiplayer, you can search for "Annelids" if you want to check. (I can't send links yet.)



After initial struggling it got more or less popular, but what is interesting:
About 25 % of all downloads come from Russia and only 4 % from USA. According to Google Play statistics, average in Arcade games is having 5 % from Russia and 13 % from USA. Downloads from other countries are close to the average values.

The game doesn't have Russian localization and until recently we didn't even have Russian translation of Google Play page. We didn't do any kind of promotions for Russia.
I am not complaining at all, but I wonder how could that happen.

Any possible explanations?
Attached Images
 
14th January 2014, 10:24 AM   |  #2  
Member
Thanks Meter: 5
 
70 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by michalsrb

Hello,

I am writing mostly because of curiosity. I made an android game inspired by one DOS game I used to like when I was kid. With several added features, like online multiplayer, you can search for "Annelids" if you want to check. (I can't send links yet.)



After initial struggling it got more or less popular, but what is interesting:
About 25 % of all downloads come from Russia and only 4 % from USA. According to Google Play statistics, average in Arcade games is having 5 % from Russia and 13 % from USA. Downloads from other countries are close to the average values.

The game doesn't have Russian localization and until recently we didn't even have Russian translation of Google Play page. We didn't do any kind of promotions for Russia.
I am not complaining at all, but I wonder how could that happen.

Any possible explanations?

That is to say, people in Russia like your game more. So,I think you can focus your market in Russia.
17th January 2014, 12:14 AM   |  #3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by michalsrb

Hello,

I am writing mostly because of curiosity. I made an android game inspired by one DOS game I used to like when I was kid. With several added features, like online multiplayer, you can search for "Annelids" if you want to check. (I can't send links yet.)



After initial struggling it got more or less popular, but what is interesting:
About 25 % of all downloads come from Russia and only 4 % from USA. According to Google Play statistics, average in Arcade games is having 5 % from Russia and 13 % from USA. Downloads from other countries are close to the average values.

The game doesn't have Russian localization and until recently we didn't even have Russian translation of Google Play page. We didn't do any kind of promotions for Russia.
I am not complaining at all, but I wonder how could that happen.

Any possible explanations?


What are the overall download numbers like? If its a new release with very few downloads, then its possible the % difference comes down to a single extended group of friends in Russia.
17th January 2014, 03:35 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Flag Oulu
Thanks Meter: 0
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillop

What are the overall download numbers like? If its a new release with very few downloads, then its possible the % difference comes down to a single extended group of friends in Russia.

The number are quite big now, bit over 100 000 downloads and over 24 000 is from Russia, second highest is Mexico with 7 000 (there I know why, we had some marketing in first phases there), then the others...

I am curious if there are some significant differences in the Google Play in different countries.
I find it hard to believe that there would be so different tastes in games in different countries. Do people in USA hate worms so much?
One possible explanation to me is that there is lot of games enabled only for USA, so there is bigger competition. But I don't know why would anyone want to limit themselves so much.
9th July 2014, 07:39 AM   |  #5  
Junior Member
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
Thumbs up Double Down on Russia
Quote:
Originally Posted by michalsrb

Hello,

I am writing mostly because of curiosity. I made an android game inspired by one DOS game I used to like when I was kid. With several added features, like online multiplayer, you can search for "Annelids" if you want to check. (I can't send links yet.)



After initial struggling it got more or less popular, but what is interesting:
About 25 % of all downloads come from Russia and only 4 % from USA. According to Google Play statistics, average in Arcade games is having 5 % from Russia and 13 % from USA. Downloads from other countries are close to the average values.

The game doesn't have Russian localization and until recently we didn't even have Russian translation of Google Play page. We didn't do any kind of promotions for Russia.
I am not complaining at all, but I wonder how could that happen.

Any possible explanations?

I can't explain why it's done so much better in Russia but I would double my efforts in Russia ASAP including localizing and submitting to the Yandex store there.
9th July 2014, 10:01 AM   |  #6  
xjoey20x's Avatar
Junior Member
Flag Orlando
Thanks Meter: 1
 
22 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Codengo

I can't explain why it's done so much better in Russia but I would double my efforts in Russia ASAP including localizing and submitting to the Yandex store there.


I would suggest to keep marketing in Russia then. They like your game.
9th July 2014, 12:48 PM   |  #7  
Junior Member
Flag Hamburg
Thanks Meter: 0
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2014
Unhappy US is 7 times more competitive than Russia. Here is why.
First of all, congratulations. Russia is not an easy market, it is very competitive, and your success shows you are doing things right.

However the number of downloads required for a game to make it to the top ranking in Russia and the US differ greatly. Of course ranking high means that you get maybe as many paid downloads (through advertising) as organic installs.

But to get to the top to be noticed by the top players you need the following number of daily installs:

Top 10 free, iPhone - sorry, dont have stats for Android: US - 17'161 Russia - 2362
Top 20 free US - 5509 Russia - 1256
Top 50 free US - 2712 Russia- 403

To get there you will have a CPI of $2-$3 probably (of course everyone wants a magic figure of $1,5 but only if your optimisation and traffic sources are perfect). If you have that budget, prepare to spend $34'000 for a few days because your competitors are going to be Candy Crush Saga by King.com, and they have money to keep paying to stay up there.
9th July 2014, 09:30 PM   |  #8  
Member
Flag Sydney
Thanks Meter: 6
 
49 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2014
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadonoob

First of all, congratulations. Russia is not an easy market, it is very competitive, and your success shows you are doing things right.

However the number of downloads required for a game to make it to the top ranking in Russia and the US differ greatly. Of course ranking high means that you get maybe as many paid downloads (through advertising) as organic installs.

But to get to the top to be noticed by the top players you need the following number of daily installs:

Top 10 free, iPhone - sorry, dont have stats for Android: US - 17'161 Russia - 2362
Top 20 free US - 5509 Russia - 1256
Top 50 free US - 2712 Russia- 403

To get there you will have a CPI of $2-$3 probably (of course everyone wants a magic figure of $1,5 but only if your optimisation and traffic sources are perfect). If you have that budget, prepare to spend $34'000 for a few days because your competitors are going to be Candy Crush Saga by King.com, and they have money to keep paying to stay up there.

This seems to be the decent answer to your question, michalsrb. You're lucky that you get people from Russia to download your game. They like it, so keep marketing on that location.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes