[Q] RMA Prep Question

Search This thread

sadkuh

Apr 16, 2013
Hello,

My Nexus 5 is making a cracking/popping noise when I touch the screen in the bottom right corner and I get all kinds of colored lines across the screen. I attached some pictures I have and no, the phone was never dropped. The lines go away when I press on the screen but come back until I reboot. I am planning on contacting Google for a warranty issue through google play store but I have a few questions. I have CyanogenMod M8 installed on it along with TWRP recovery along with Titanium Backup Pro and a slew of other paid apps and customizations for rooted phones.

1) I've seen mixed answers regarding restoring the phone prior to RMA..will they take my phone back with it being flashed or should I revert it to factory?
2) If going back to factory condition, should I do that BEFORE I contact them and they call me back regarding the phone issues?
3) If I want the new phone setup exactly like my current phone is now, what would I do? Is it as easy as making a full backup with TWRP and moving it to my computer then when the new phone comes in, get TWRP setup again then recover from the backup?

Thanks for any help you can give.!

Attachments

• 20140523_194650.jpg
    20140523_194650.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 20140523_194706.jpg
    20140523_194706.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 61

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
I would flash the factory image before you send it back and restore the tamper flag. No need to do that before you call then as they'll probably have you try to do a factory reset.

You can make a nandroid in twrp, but DO NOT backup the efs partition. You'll be able to flash that on your new phone

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: sadkuh

raptir

May 4, 2010
  1. Definitely restore it to stock using the factory images before sending it back. People have mixed opinions about locking the bootloader or not, but it's very easy to do so why not?
  2. I would restore it to stock before I called them. They may ask you to do some troubleshooting and might want you to tell them what some of the fields say in "About Phone" including the build number, and that's easier to give them if you're on stock rather than CM
  3. You can take a TWRP backup, but as mentioned above do not backup the EFS partition. If you restore EFS to a different phone you will lose your IMEI and will not be able to get cell service

I personally wouldn't bother with resetting the tamper flag but it can't hurt. I RMA'd two Nexus 4s before I even knew about the tamper flag and didn't have an issue. From my experience as long as it's back to stock Google doesn't seem to care if it's been rooted before.

sadkuh

Apr 16, 2013
Thanks for the information! Guess It's time to grab the LG flashtool since that will restore and reset the flag in one shot. I saw a nifty threat on it in the forum. Thanks again!

jwhyte

May 29, 2013
Milwaukee
Go back to stock first. They will make you do all the troubleshooting junk first factory reset etc. Once they determine that its hardware they will start the RMA process. I just RMA'd mine and went all the way back to stock locked bootloader and tamper flag reset just to be safe.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

sadkuh

Apr 16, 2013
I went to make a backup and I attached a screenshot of my options, I don't see any EFS partition?

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-09-17-28-56.png
    Screenshot_2014-07-09-17-28-56.png
    180.3 KB · Views: 27

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would flash the factory image before you send it back and restore the tamper flag. No need to do that before you call then as they'll probably have you try to do a factory reset.

You can make a nandroid in twrp, but DO NOT backup the efs partition. You'll be able to flash that on your new phone

1. Definitely restore it to stock using the factory images before sending it back. People have mixed opinions about locking the bootloader or not, but it's very easy to do so why not?
    2. I would restore it to stock before I called them. They may ask you to do some troubleshooting and might want you to tell them what some of the fields say in "About Phone" including the build number, and that's easier to give them if you're on stock rather than CM
    3. You can take a TWRP backup, but as mentioned above do not backup the EFS partition. If you restore EFS to a different phone you will lose your IMEI and will not be able to get cell service

I personally wouldn't bother with resetting the tamper flag but it can't hurt. I RMA'd two Nexus 4s before I even knew about the tamper flag and didn't have an issue. From my experience as long as it's back to stock Google doesn't seem to care if it's been rooted before.
    Go back to stock first. They will make you do all the troubleshooting junk first factory reset etc. Once they determine that its hardware they will start the RMA process. I just RMA'd mine and went all the way back to stock locked bootloader and tamper flag reset just to be safe.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    I went to make a backup and I attached a screenshot of my options, I don't see any EFS partition?

Just use twrp's typical backup. Don't select anything extra. Boot, system, data is all you need