Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,097 Members 44,511 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

My phone magically goes from locked/S-ON to unlocked/S-OFF

Tip us?

Sleepycloud
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 49
Default My phone magically goes from locked/S-ON to unlocked/S-OFF

I've been seeing a lot of really weird things going on with my phone. I've been flashing lots of updates and various images, but it really surprised me to see it locked/S-ON again. It happened in my bootloader while I was playing with the ramdump, image crc, simlock, and smartsd. Iv e tried to replicate the situation, but It's not happening again. As of now, it's back to unlocked and S-OFF. How is that even possible? Has anyone else seen this happening?

slimbrady
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepycloud View Post
I've been seeing a lot of really weird things going on with my phone. I've been flashing lots of updates and various images, but it really surprised me to see it locked/S-ON again. It happened in my bootloader while I was playing with the ramdump, image crc, simlock, and smartsd. Iv e tried to replicate the situation, but It's not happening again. As of now, it's back to unlocked and S-OFF. How is that even possible? Has anyone else seen this happening?
The bootloader(your Hboot image) is where you make the changes to S-Off etc but I've never seen or heard of a phone reverting to S-On...as far as I know that's impossible. I am S-Off but my bootloader says Locked and S-On but that's because I flashed an Hboot file designed to do exactly that...the phone is actually still unlocked and S-Off but it appears otherwise. Are you sure you didn't do something similar when you were messing around?
Current Device: Sprint HTC One M8 Harman Kardon edition(Black with Champagne) *S-OFF* (Victim of Sunshine)
Backups: Sprint HTC One M7(m7wls) *S - OFF*(Rumrunner), Sprint HTC EVO 4G - *S-OFF* (Facepalm)
Bricked Paperweights: Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE *RIP QWERTY KEYBOARD, I MISS YOU*
Prior Devices: Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy S4,Google Nexus

Sleepycloud
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimbrady View Post
The bootloader(your Hboot image) is where you make the changes to S-Off etc but I've never seen or heard of a phone reverting to S-On...as far as I know that's impossible. I am S-Off but my bootloader says Locked and S-On but that's because I flashed an Hboot file designed to do exactly that...the phone is actually still unlocked and S-Off but it appears otherwise. Are you sure you didn't do something similar when you were messing around?
Man... It sounds crazy, but it's true. I've been flashing for a couple of years now. I've never seen such a thing happen. I didn't flash any modified hboot masks though. I"m unlocked and S-OFF, but I saw it turn to S-OFF while I was jacking arouind in my bootloader. It stayed that way for a couple of days, then it went back to unlocked and S-OFF without any more changes made by myself.

Magnum_Enforcer
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1876

DONATE TO ME
Curious as to what exactly you did to swap back between S-on & S-off. Any chance you could provide the steps you took?

Sent from my HTC device
The Following User Says Thank You to Magnum_Enforcer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

drlzanej
Old
Thanks Meter 1964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_Enforcer View Post
Curious as to what exactly you did to swap back between S-on & S-off. Any chance you could provide the steps you took?

Sent from my HTC device
Kinda curious about this myself. Seems kind of impossible.

Sent from my 831C using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Devices: Sprint HTC Hero200 CDMA,Sprint HTC Evo 4G Supersonic,
Sprint HTC Evo 3D, Sprint HTC Evo 4G LTE, Sprint Htc One(M7)
Present Device: Sprint Htc One (M8) Harmon/Kardon Edition
Recovery: CaptainThrowback's TWRP 2.7.0.7
Rom: InsertCoin
Kernel: MassStashedX-0.19.1
ExtSd: 64g Class10

If I've helped you in some way, Keep it to yourself or all the kid's will want some,,,

Munkeymon
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Mine reverted to S-ON somehow. I know I was S-OFF because I manually flashed the last firmware update through fastboot, but now it says tampered, unlocked and S-ON.

I'm not getting magically switched back though I used Firewater, so I'll just try that again.