Get Your XDA 2015 Custom Avatar and Signature Images Here

As stated in our motto, XDA Developer is for developers, by developers. The … more

Pin Your Photos on Android Lollipop with Photo Pinner

In the last few weeks,we have been talking quite a bit about Android 5.0 Lollipop. This … more

Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Hands On – XDA TV

Perhaps one of the more peculiar announcements this year was the curved edge-screened … more

Nova Launcher Update Brings Lollipop Functionality and Feel

One of the most popular third party launcher on Android, Nova Launcher, has just … more

My phone magically goes from locked/S-ON to unlocked/S-OFF

OP Sleepycloud

29th June 2014, 10:21 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag I live in your ROM.
Thanks Meter: 49

310 posts
More
I've been seeing a lot of really weird things going on with my phone. I've been flashing lots of updates and various images, but it really surprised me to see it locked/S-ON again. It happened in my bootloader while I was playing with the ramdump, image crc, simlock, and smartsd. Iv e tried to replicate the situation, but It's not happening again. As of now, it's back to unlocked and S-OFF. How is that even possible? Has anyone else seen this happening?
29th June 2014, 11:56 PM   |  #2  
Flag San Diego
Thanks Meter: 38

152 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepycloud

I've been seeing a lot of really weird things going on with my phone. I've been flashing lots of updates and various images, but it really surprised me to see it locked/S-ON again. It happened in my bootloader while I was playing with the ramdump, image crc, simlock, and smartsd. Iv e tried to replicate the situation, but It's not happening again. As of now, it's back to unlocked and S-OFF. How is that even possible? Has anyone else seen this happening?

The bootloader(your Hboot image) is where you make the changes to S-Off etc but I've never seen or heard of a phone reverting to S-On...as far as I know that's impossible. I am S-Off but my bootloader says Locked and S-On but that's because I flashed an Hboot file designed to do exactly that...the phone is actually still unlocked and S-Off but it appears otherwise. Are you sure you didn't do something similar when you were messing around?
30th June 2014, 12:11 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag I live in your ROM.
Thanks Meter: 49

310 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimbrady

The bootloader(your Hboot image) is where you make the changes to S-Off etc but I've never seen or heard of a phone reverting to S-On...as far as I know that's impossible. I am S-Off but my bootloader says Locked and S-On but that's because I flashed an Hboot file designed to do exactly that...the phone is actually still unlocked and S-Off but it appears otherwise. Are you sure you didn't do something similar when you were messing around?

Man... It sounds crazy, but it's true. I've been flashing for a couple of years now. I've never seen such a thing happen. I didn't flash any modified hboot masks though. I"m unlocked and S-OFF, but I saw it turn to S-OFF while I was jacking arouind in my bootloader. It stayed that way for a couple of days, then it went back to unlocked and S-OFF without any more changes made by myself.
30th June 2014, 03:43 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Birmingham, AL
Thanks Meter: 1,952

3,653 posts
Donate to Me
More
Curious as to what exactly you did to swap back between S-on & S-off. Any chance you could provide the steps you took?

Sent from my HTC device
The Following User Says Thank You to Magnum_Enforcer For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th June 2014, 06:13 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 1,981

2,399 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_Enforcer

Curious as to what exactly you did to swap back between S-on & S-off. Any chance you could provide the steps you took?

Sent from my HTC device

Kinda curious about this myself. Seems kind of impossible.

Sent from my 831C using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
9th July 2014, 10:46 PM   |  #6  
Flag Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 2

37 posts
More
Mine reverted to S-ON somehow. I know I was S-OFF because I manually flashed the last firmware update through fastboot, but now it says tampered, unlocked and S-ON.

I'm not getting magically switched back though I used Firewater, so I'll just try that again.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread