Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,797 Members 51,557 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Mac File Transfer

Tip us?

mrdeviance
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default Mac File Transfer

For some reason I can''t use Android File Transfer with my HTC One M8 - It just doesn't appear. The phone goes into MTC mode and says USB Connected, but ATP gives me the "No android device found" error?

Anyone else had the same error or have any other mac workarounds?

I can't stand HTC Sync Manager ...

psinno
Old
Thanks Meter 15
I ran into the same problem yesterday.

All I could find on the internet was a post advising to reboot with the phone plugging in. That seemed to work but it was only a temporary fix. And a review mentioning the problem , that HTC had acknowledged it and that a fix was expected in late April.

BAM1789
Old
Thanks Meter 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdeviance View Post
For some reason I can''t use Android File Transfer with my HTC One M8 - It just doesn't appear. The phone goes into MTC mode and says USB Connected, but ATP gives me the "No android device found" error?

Anyone else had the same error or have any other mac workarounds?

I can't stand HTC Sync Manager ...
FYI to everyone.. This is a Sense Only problem. MTP works fine on GPE ROMs. As a workaround, if you want to keep Sense, use AirDroid or something similar to transfer files to your phone via WiFi.
DAT QHD G3

v-b-n
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 735

DONATE TO ME
This was already asked in Q/A subforum -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2714671

Here's my response :-

Quote:
You will need ROOT and app called "DriveDroid"

Download Android File Manager - http://www.android.com/filetransfer/

Open DriveDroid app, give it root access and under its settings, change USB or Permanent USB mode to "Mass Storage Android Debugging"

Connect to OSX and open the Android File Manager app on OSX... next time you wont need to open it manually, it will open everytime you connect the phone.

This might break connection to HTC Sync though

(I use the above for my iMac)
Current Devices : HTC One, iPhone 5
Retired : HTC Diamond2, HTC HD2, HTC Sensation XE, HTC Sensation XL 16GB, Motorola Razr, Galaxy S2, Galaxy Note, Xperia S, Xperia V, HOX+, HTC Butterfly, Galaxy S4

alwin006
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAM1789 View Post
FYI to everyone.. This is a Sense Only problem. MTP works fine on GPE ROMs. As a workaround, if you want to keep Sense, use AirDroid or something similar to transfer files to your phone via WiFi.
I think it's not a solution, wifi transfer is really slow with big files. Plus, I own a nexus 7 and MTP is not that great either.

mrdeviance
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by v-b-n View Post
This was already asked in Q/A subforum -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2714671

Here's my response :-
I did see that, but I don't want to root it just yet.
I thought there must be a simple native solution, but it doesn't look like there is until HTC do a fix!

Ghost
Old
Forum Moderator / Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4,007
Moderator information,

Thread moved to Q&A, also I deleted a post. Remember forum rules, swearing and the suggestion of swearing is against forum rules.

Ghost

craig0r
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Make sure HTC Sync Manager is not installed at all if you want Android File Transfer to work. This has been an issue in the past, although it doesn't sound like the issue here though. I personally don't have a problem using HTC Sync Manager to transfer my files, but if course I can see why people wouldn't want to use it.

I think the reason MTP is such crap on Macs is that Microsoft owns the license for the MTP protocol, and they let everyone use it except Apple, thus making Windows a more appealing OS. Just a theory though...

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium HD app
craig0r

Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0 N5110 Stock 4.2.2 rooted
Rogers HTC One
HP Touchpad with CM10

doublehp
Old
Thanks Meter 34
In http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=54035979 I may provide a partial solution; depending on your exact need. Look for the post I sent a few minutes ago. More to come in the next days; I will test other apps, and report.
HTC One M8, unpacked 2014-06-19 at 4PM; HTCDEV + SuperSU + S-Off + hone made random scripts at boot 2014-06-20 at 11:30PM .

HTC Sensation received July 27th 2011 (First HTC). Cracked Fre3vo 28th. Craked S-OFF via Revolutionary 30th with success on first attempt. LeeDrOiD 1.2.