Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,846 Members 37,470 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Streaming MKV files from PC to Tablet

Tip us?
 
Junetastic
Old
#11  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 25
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by no.0ne View Post
That's not a good idea as a software decoder will burn through your battery, especially with HD content.

@Junetastic Can you try playing the sample videos from this site http://www.auby.no/files/video_tests/ ? I have downloaded them to my computer and then tried streaming them to my tablet using the HW+ decoder and it worked without any problems (except the 'Birds' video, which is 40mbps and is too much for my wifi network to handle reliably. Once copied to the tablet, it of course played without problems.)
I just downloaded one file (Suzumiya) and it didn't work with H/W+ Decoder; however, I was successful in streaming some episodes of Silicon Valley from my PC with it (and using S/W decoder for audio).
 
no.0ne
Old
#12  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 13
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junetastic View Post
I just downloaded one file (Suzumiya) and it didn't work with H/W+ Decoder; however, I was successful in streaming some episodes of Silicon Valley from my PC with it (and using S/W decoder for audio).
Ok, I think I know where the problem comes from - I bet you have P600, the Exynos version right?
 
Junetastic
Old
#13  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 25
Join Date: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by no.0ne View Post
Ok, I think I know where the problem comes from - I bet you have P600, the Exynos version right?
Yeah. Am I out of luck?
 
WJThomas
Old
#14  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 59
Posts: 100
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junetastic View Post
Yeah. Am I out of luck?
I have the P600. I downloaded all of the video clips to my desktop. When I stream them directly using MX player, I do get some lag and stutter. However, when I add them to my Plex library I can play all of them just fine. The Plex server handles all the transcode that is needed and I just have to click play. I don't need to worry about formats or bitrates (unless I want to). It is so simple my 5yo can use it to watch videos on her tablet. She can even sync videos for offline viewing on car trips.
 
no.0ne
Old
#15  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 17
Posts: 13
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junetastic View Post
Yeah. Am I out of luck?
Well, it seems that the hardware decoders are quite different on the Snapdragon vs. Exynos and since Samsung is very sparse with documentation, the MX Player developers didn't manage to optimize their software for the Exynos (this is just my guess). So you might try a different player, perhaps some will work fine. But then again, it might not. In which case you might have to abandon universal streaming and either transcode your videos or use an application that will do it for you on the fly (e.g. Plex as WJThomas proposed). The downside is you have to use a computer (and often a paid app as is the case with Plex) and can't stream your content from a NAS.
 
WJThomas
Old
#16  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 59
Posts: 100
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by no.0ne View Post
In which case you might have to abandon universal streaming and either transcode your videos or use an application that will do it for you on the fly (e.g. Plex as WJThomas proposed). The downside is you have to use a computer (and often a paid app as is the case with Plex) and can't stream your content from a NAS.
The upside is that you don't have to worry about which device supports which formats, and that you can stream content from some NAS's without a computer. If you subscribe to PlexPass the app is free, and you can use the app to sync media to your device (and then you can even stream from device to device)
 
Megalith
Old
#17  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 22
Join Date: Oct 2010
Can someone please explain how they're playing .mkv files without playback stopping after a few seconds?

What I'm trying to do is play full bit-rate Blu-ray .mkv rips. I am using ES File Explorer to navigate to shared folders on my Windows PC, and what happens is that the video will eventually start playing but then stop after 5 or so seconds of playback and never continue again. I've tried accessing the files via DNLA software like Servio, but I get the exact same result each time.

And bandwidth is not the problem, as I was able to stream uncompressed content just fine when I had my Surface Pro 2.
 
blindmanpb
Old
#18  
Member
Thanks Meter 7
Posts: 46
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post
Can someone please explain how they're playing .mkv files without playback stopping after a few seconds?

What I'm trying to do is play full bit-rate Blu-ray .mkv rips. I am using ES File Explorer to navigate to shared folders on my Windows PC, and what happens is that the video will eventually start playing but then stop after 5 or so seconds of playback and never continue again. I've tried accessing the files via DNLA software like Servio, but I get the exact same result each time.

And bandwidth is not the problem, as I was able to stream uncompressed content just fine when I had my Surface Pro 2.
I use ES File Explorer to browse a 3TB networked hard drive and stream Blu-Ray .mkv files to my tablet with no problem. I use MX Player Pro (H/W decoder, H/W+ causes MX Player to force close on KitKat). No issues with playback.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes