OP rocketfans14

23rd May 2014, 04:52 AM   |  #31  
Recognized Contributor
Flag New Braunfels, TX
Thanks Meter: 610

2,230 posts
Donate to Me
More
That probably won't fix it, I asked around and twrp basically checks the cache for a zip and a open recovery script, when you factory reset it it should have wiped the cache, you can still do that from advanced while if you want but I believe the culprit is your bootmode defaulting to the wrong value. I can't verify this without you wiping internal storage and flashing a amazon os zip from the dev section though.

If you flash back to amazon os I highly recommend not connecting to WiFi, an ota would be very bad if it got rid of second bootloader because Idk if you could force /system to boot. And that flashable zip I'm thinking of might be a kfhd7 zip which would be bad... Not sure if there is one for kf2.
Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk
Last edited by stunts513; 23rd May 2014 at 04:55 AM.
23rd May 2014, 08:01 AM   |  #32  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

20 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513

That probably won't fix it, I asked around and twrp basically checks the cache for a zip and a open recovery script, when you factory reset it it should have wiped the cache, you can still do that from advanced while if you want but I believe the culprit is your bootmode defaulting to the wrong value. I can't verify this without you wiping internal storage and flashing a amazon os zip from the dev section though.

If you flash back to amazon os I highly recommend not connecting to WiFi, an ota would be very bad if it got rid of second bootloader because Idk if you could force /system to boot. And that flashable zip I'm thinking of might be a kfhd7 zip which would be bad... Not sure if there is one for kf2.

Judging from the first part of your message, flashing a zip file to update through TWRP won't fix the bootmode value. But overall, this is still a theory unless I flash an amazon os?

About the second half of your post, I kinda get the ota through WiFi will most likely mess things up and how it might erase the second bootloader. But I have no idea which flashable zip you are talking about.

In conclusion, a possible solution to the bootmode issue is to update through the device itself and not flashing a zip of it? And if the device messes up again with booting into TWRP recovery only, I can try to fix it with wiping internal storage and flashing the rom and gapp again like before? Also, if I am brave enough and got nothing to do, another possible way to solve my problem is flashing back to amazon os?

Other than that, the safest option is to do nothing, leave it alone as it is, and enjoy having android on a kindle fire?
23rd May 2014, 08:37 AM   |  #33  
Recognized Contributor
Flag New Braunfels, TX

2,230 posts
Donate to Me
More
Yea but I don't see a flashable zip lying around and if you use kffa you risk not being able to force booting into the os.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
23rd May 2014, 04:10 PM   |  #34  
Flag Cape Coral, FL
Thanks Meter: 2,990

3,707 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketfans14

Judging from the first part of your message, flashing a zip file to update through TWRP won't fix the bootmode value. But overall, this is still a theory unless I flash an amazon os?

About the second half of your post, I kinda get the ota through WiFi will most likely mess things up and how it might erase the second bootloader. But I have no idea which flashable zip you are talking about.

In conclusion, a possible solution to the bootmode issue is to update through the device itself and not flashing a zip of it? And if the device messes up again with booting into TWRP recovery only, I can try to fix it with wiping internal storage and flashing the rom and gapp again like before? Also, if I am brave enough and got nothing to do, another possible way to solve my problem is flashing back to amazon os?

Other than that, the safest option is to do nothing, leave it alone as it is, and enjoy having android on a kindle fire?

have you tried updating the bootmode via fastboot(this can also be done in the terminal with slightly different commands)? see post here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=40339524

-》Sent from my mind to your screen.
The Following User Says Thank You to mindmajick For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd May 2014, 04:25 PM   |  #35  
Recognized Contributor
Flag New Braunfels, TX

2,230 posts
Donate to Me
More
I think he tried it with adb, I would have recommended trying via fastboot but last I checked the bootloader values are different than on the kf1 and I always have a hard time finding where the values are posted on xda. I think I will bookmark that thread, thank you for that.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
18th June 2014, 01:55 AM   |  #36  
OP Junior Member

20 posts
Update
Hey, haven't been back on here for a while but I would like to give an update on the device. So far, I haven't done any further changes nor any updates of the rom (still the nightly CM 11 from May 6th). The device doesn't boot into TWRP recovery anymore whenever I restart the whole thing. Thank you for all the help

Just a side question (which you can choose to ignore because it is probably not suitable in this thread because it is not about the bootloader), is there any support for OTG USB? I would like to be able to read files from an external flash drive directly on the tablet but I'm not sure if it is supported.
18th June 2014, 03:38 AM   |  #37  
Recognized Contributor
Flag New Braunfels, TX

2,230 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketfans14

Hey, haven't been back on here for a while but I would like to give an update on the device. So far, I haven't done any further changes nor any updates of the rom (still the nightly CM 11 from May 6th). The device doesn't boot into TWRP recovery anymore whenever I restart the whole thing. Thank you for all the help

Just a side question (which you can choose to ignore because it is probably not suitable in this thread because it is not about the bootloader), is there any support for OTG USB? I would like to be able to read files from an external flash drive directly on the tablet but I'm not sure if it is supported.

It isn't supported yet, it will be eventually but from what I heard it will require a powered USB hub to be attached because there's not enough power from the kindle by itself to power a external device.

6th July 2014, 12:21 AM   |  #38  
OP Junior Member

20 posts
So...I finally updated to the newest nightly (July 3rd) and it happened again. After the download was complete and installation began after a reboot into TWRP, the device will only boot into TWRP recovery every single time unless you choose the third option (select bootmode) in the blue/white kindle logo screen. Should I assume in conclusion that the device will change the reboot path to TWRP everytime an update is installed?
10th July 2014, 09:52 AM   |  #39  
Recognized Contributor
Flag New Braunfels, TX

2,230 posts
Donate to Me
More
Possibly but I have no idea why it is doing this.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread