Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,742 Members 37,640 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[q] my z1s screen is cracked!

Tip us?

BigDnm01
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Sony fixed my cracked phone, free of charge. I guess it was under warranty. They didn't even contacted me, they just ship it back to me with a UPS tracking number.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigDnm01 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

aooga
Old
Thanks Meter 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDnm01 View Post
Sony fixed my cracked phone, free of charge. I guess it was under warranty. They didn't even contacted me, they just ship it back to me with a UPS tracking number.
Wow you really got lucky! Either that, or Sony knows there's a problem with their phones and don't want to get into a whole debacle about it.

BigDnm01
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by aooga View Post
Wow you really got lucky! Either that, or Sony knows there's a problem with their phones and don't want to get into a whole debacle about it.
I really feel I lucked out. I was thinking I need to pay 200-300 USD for repairs and was dreading it. I even didn't wanted to send it in because I didn't have the money to spare.

gtownie
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
I really feel I lucked out. I was thinking I need to pay 200-300 USD for repairs and was dreading it. I even didn't wanted to send it in because I didn't have the money to spare.
Well ok then. Looks like it is time to try and find a backup phone to use for a week or so while I send mine in.
The Following User Says Thank You to gtownie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gtownie
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Quote:
Any idea how long after they received it you got that tracking number? They've had mine for a little over a week and I'm just curious. Thanks

BigDnm01
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
In about 2 weeks, i remember i sent it via fedex 4-11, they receive it 4-15 and i received the tracking number on the 25th.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigDnm01 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kentexcitebot
Old
(Last edited by kentexcitebot; 15th May 2014 at 08:05 PM.)
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by LotoTutu View Post
If you want to save a lot, you can try to replace the screen by yourself. But it is hard job...
Share a Z1 repair guide with u. Hope it can help you.
This is a good method to reduce cost, but you'll have a higher chance in losing your water / dust resistance. You can also damage your phone if you're not careful. Not sure if people really care about the resistances though.
Quote:
I don't know why, but I'm sure I didn't do it. My Sony Xperia Z1s C6916, which I bought from T-Mobile USA, suddenly had a crack in the screen, across the screen, left to right. The screen now is unresponsive and keep reading wrong touch controls. I cannot use it anymore.
Now I google it and found it's a well known problem amongst the Xperia Z series user, and that Sony, most of the time, won't recognize that is a manufacturer defect, and won't repair it under warranty.
I sent my phone in to Laredo as well, my phone didn't have a warranty associated to it and they replaced the screen (along with some other parts) for free. If you want water/dust resistance, shell in the $25 for inspection / shipping and see what they'll charge you. For me they just repaired it without leaving an email or phone call. If they charge you an unreasonable price ($150 < x) then have them send it back to you and repair it yourself or have a third-party vendor do it for you.

LotoTutu
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentexcitebot View Post
This is a good method to reduce cost, but you'll have a higher chance in losing your water / dust resistance. You can also damage your phone if you're not careful. Not sure if people really care about the resistances though.
In fact , the Sony customer support can't guarantee water resistance either after disassemble your Z1s.

Jonas740
Old
Thanks Meter 4
The oem precut adhesive should not cause any problems with ruining your ip58 waterproof.

I've done lcd swaps and it should be properly sealed if you use that. As I've read, brand new Z1s have leaked water aswell so it might be about luck.

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Free mobile app
Xperia Z1 - Stock kernel - .761 - Locked Bootloader
Xperia V - New display and working like a charm.

facemymusic
Old
(Last edited by facemymusic; 10th July 2014 at 03:31 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
My Sony Xperia Z1s C6916, which I bought from T-Mobile USA, suddenly had a crack in the screen, across the screen, left to right.
This just happened to my bf's z1s. He put it in his pocket when he got out of the car, walked into our apt, and when he took the phone out it was completely cracked and the screen was unresponsive.

He's sending it out today be checked by Sony. The rep made it VERY clear that the "engineers" would look at the phone and determine if it was a manufacture defect or not. If it was a defect, they'd fix it and return it. If not, then they'll call and discuss repair options.

You might not be able to tell from the photos, but the cracks are under the glass, and it's clear that it's not do to user abuse. Hopefully the "engineers" see it the same way.

Posts like these helped convince us that sending the phone to Sony was worth a shot, so I just wanted to share our experience. I hope he has the same success you did with getting it fixed. I'll update in a couple of weeks on the verdict.

PS: for anyone else that faces this issue, TMO insurance will not cover this without a $150 deductible. We were told that regardless of what caused the crack, they don't exchange phones with cracked screens. The TMO rep we talked to def didn't believe that the crack happened spontaneously. Don't waste your time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0054.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	2844047   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0059.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	2844048  

The Following User Says Thank You to facemymusic For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
screen, xperia z1, xperia z1s