Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,883 Members 41,170 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Scary Experience With HTC One M8

Tip us?

hgoldner
Old
Thanks Meter 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathsnuggle View Post
This happened to my first m8, what I believe is happening is they are going into the bootloader, but the backlight is off. I didn't notice until I held it under a bright light and saw there was something in the screen. Afterwards I was able to navigate to reboot the device. Or you can try simulating a battery pull. Just something to try before you write your baby off as dead.
Thanks. Have since gotten a warranty replacement (which is already revealing other issues with my prior unit of which I was unaware), but if I see that behavior from this one, I'll "look for" hboot underneath the blank screen.
Verizon Wireless HTC One M8 - Rooted/S-Off
Firmware/Recovery/ROM: 1.55.605.2, TWRP, BoneStock 1.3
Asus Transformer TF300T - Rooted/unlocked
Firmware/Recovery/ROM: 10.6.1.27.5; TWRP; CROMI-X
Nexus 7 FHD (2013) - Rooted/locked - KitKat KTU84L (v4.4.3)
Chromecast - Rooted
Firmware/ROM:: FlashCast; Eureka ROM
Retired devices: HTC Rezound; Nexus 7 (2012); HTC Droid Incredible; Arnova 10 G2

BadUsername
Old
Thanks Meter 695
Happened to me the other day, completely locked up and wouldn't respond to any input.

On my S3 a battery pull fixed everything. Power + volume up is the equivalent of a battery pull.

An Adb reboot should also work.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

hgoldner
Old
Thanks Meter 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadUsername View Post
Happened to me the other day, completely locked up and wouldn't respond to any input.

On my S3 a battery pull fixed everything. Power + volume up is the equivalent of a battery pull.

An Adb reboot should also work.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
I didn't even try adb commands because it wasn't responding when plugged in. The LED wasn't coming on (which is consistent with it having gone into hboot.)
Chromecast - Rooted
Retired devices: HTC Rezound; Nexus 7 (2012); HTC Droid Incredible; Arnova 10 G2

BadUsername
Old
Thanks Meter 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgoldner View Post
I didn't even try adb commands because it wasn't responding when plugged in. The LED wasn't coming on (which is consistent with it having gone into hboot.)
The Led light would've just frozen in whatever state it was in. If you had it charging then it would've stayed on, even if you unplugged the device. I doubt it was in hboot. Even if it was, your phone still produces a log even if it's completely frozen, adb reboot should always work as long as USB debugging is enabled.

I still think it just froze up, it's a fairly common problem with the m8. It wouldn't make sense for it to randomly boot into the hboot menu from a powered on state and not respond to input.

hgoldner
Old
(Last edited by hgoldner; 11th July 2014 at 04:32 PM.)
Thanks Meter 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadUsername View Post
The Led light would've just frozen in whatever state it was in. If you had it charging then it would've stayed on, even if you unplugged the device. I doubt it was in hboot. Even if it was, your phone still produces a log even if it's completely frozen, adb reboot should always work as long as USB debugging is enabled.

I still think it just froze up, it's a fairly common problem with the m8. It wouldn't make sense for it to randomly boot into the hboot menu from a powered on state and not respond to input.
I see your point, but at least for me, it froze up immediately after I had tried to reboot it. And, as I mentioned, my current device does not have at least two other symptoms/issues which I had thought were "features" not "bugs" on my old handset, so it's just as well I did the warranty switch.

UPDATE: Also note this link (see second item down) which suggests this phenomenon might also accompany a battery calibration issue.
Chromecast - Rooted
The Following User Says Thank You to hgoldner For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]