[Q] F2FS or Data2SD?

Search This thread

BethyM

Oct 21, 2009
Both? Neither? One or the other?

Going to reload my TF700, probably with CROMBi-kk to try it out. Looking to optimize web browsing/facebook/gmail etc performance. Currently on CROMi-X 5.4.

BethyM

Oct 21, 2009
Very Fast would be good!! Format the internal memory as F2FS also, or just the sdcard?

sbdags

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
faster than rom2sd? ive found it to be quick at times, then mighty slow at others. thanks!
if f2fs+data2sd is the faster option, how should i go about getting rid of the sd installation, just take it out and install like normal on the tablet?

I've noticed no difference between data2sd and rom2sd but f2fs allows better use of the tablet when things are downloading in the background for example.

sbdags

Jun 24, 2007
Kenilworth, Coventry
OnePlus 9 Pro
thanks, is there a guide anywhere for moving from rom2sd to f2fs and data2sd?

Easiest way is install the latest TWRP 2.7.1.1 which has format options now for both ext4 (takes 90 mins) and f2fs (takes seconds).

You'll obviously lose everything if you format /data as f2fs so have a backup if you want to go back.

If you are using data2sd or rom2sd just remember to use the data2sd1.zip or rom2sd1.zip first to switch TWRP over to your external partitions otherwise you will be formatting internal.

Reactions: ishamm

ishamm

Sep 7, 2011
Easiest way is install the latest TWRP 2.7.1.1 which has format options now for both ext4 (takes 90 mins) and f2fs (takes seconds).

You'll obviously lose everything if you format /data as f2fs so have a backup if you want to go back.

If you are using data2sd or rom2sd just remember to use the data2sd1.zip or rom2sd1.zip first to switch TWRP over to your external partitions otherwise you will be formatting internal.

So i boot into twrp, and format which partitions? the external sd card to extf4 and the internal to f2fs? sorry having trouble getting my head around this! :p

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
So i boot into twrp, and format which partitions? the external sd card to extf4 and the internal to f2fs? sorry having trouble getting my head around this! :p

If you use data2sd (or rom2sd for that matter) you are not using the internal data partition for daily operations other than storage maybe. So you can leave it alone.

First step is to backup any data from the rom2sd data partition you want to keep.
Then you have to repartition the card. For data2sd you have to have 2 partitions (not 3 as in rom2sd): one fat32, one ext4 or f2fs. Do that in Gparted and while you're at it, you can format the future data partition to f2fs.
Then flash the rom with the data2sd option and _that v10 kernel.
I would also recommend getting TWRP 2.7.1

Reactions: ishamm

relaps

Jul 27, 2008
gparted?

so do i need to use gparted to partition my sd card or can it all be done with twrp and your crombi rom?

relaps

Jul 27, 2008
Thank you. I'm doing my best to read through the last 100 pages of the q&a and the Rom page.

relaps

Jul 27, 2008
Thank you I did read that one, very straight forward. I am having trouble finding a zip containing twrp 2.7.1.1 ... I currently have 2.6.3-that3 but twrp manager keeps crashing on me and does not Let me choose a device in order to upgrade.

relaps

Jul 27, 2008
I got the file from techerrata with md5, is this a reliable source? Please forgive my newb green-ness

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Both? Neither? One or the other?

Going to reload my TF700, probably with CROMBi-kk to try it out. Looking to optimize web browsing/facebook/gmail etc performance. Currently on CROMi-X 5.4.

Both = very fast ;)
    thanks, is there a guide anywhere for moving from rom2sd to f2fs and data2sd?

If you use data2sd (or rom2sd for that matter) you are not using the internal data partition for daily operations other than storage maybe. So you can leave it alone.

First step is to backup any data from the rom2sd data partition you want to keep.
    Then you have to repartition the card. For data2sd you have to have 2 partitions (not 3 as in rom2sd): one fat32, one ext4 or f2fs. Do that in Gparted and while you're at it, you can format the future data partition to f2fs.
    Then flash the rom with the data2sd option and _that v10 kernel.
    I would also recommend getting TWRP 2.7.1
    so do i need to use gparted to partition my sd card or can it all be done with twrp and your crombi rom?

You must use gparted ;) There is no other way.