Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,501 Members 48,938 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

A few things on knox / rooting and bootloaders that need more testing / development

Tip us?

E:V:A
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1704
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanbg View Post
I have recently, and found some things of interest I'd like to have you take a look at. I'll send you a PM.
Waiting for PM...
MSM8960 Info, Architecture and Bootloader(s)
El Grande Partition Table Reference
How to talk to the Modem with AT commands

[REF][ServiceMode] How to make your Samsung perform dog tricks
[REF|R&D|RF] RF/Radio properties of Samsung ServiceMode

Want to know when your phone is getting tracked or tapped?

Help us develop the IMSI Catcher / Spy Detector!
(To be part of the EFF & The Guardian Project toolsets.)
I do not answer support related PM's.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to E:V:A For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shayind4
Old
Thanks Meter 74
Default Towelroot by Geohot

Hey guys

Check towelroot by Geohot. It works on P605 and Knox 0x0.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2783157

vacaloca
Old
Thanks Meter 87
Talk of this came up on the S5 bootloader thread as a possible vulnerability in aboot:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=1006

Figured this might be a place where it could get some thought/exposure.
The Following User Says Thank You to vacaloca For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

siraltus
Old
Thanks Meter 354
So Samsung's giving up on Knox: http://www.forbes.com/sites/bobegan/...aga-continues/

I wonder if they'll eventually give us a bootloader with no more Knox warranty flag.

Product F(RED)
Old
Thanks Meter 2556

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by siraltus View Post
So Samsung's giving up on Knox: http://www.forbes.com/sites/bobegan/...aga-continues/

I wonder if they'll eventually give us a bootloader with no more Knox warranty flag.
They're not really giving up on Knox. If you read articles about Android L's security, you'll see that Samsung "gave" Google portions of Knox's code so that it could be implemented into Android itself.

HTC Evo 4G -> HTC Evo 3D/Nexus S 4G -> Galaxy S II -> iPhone 4S -> Galaxy S II -> Galaxy Nexus -> Galaxy S3 i9300 -> Galaxy Note 2 i317 -> Galaxy Note 2 T889

The Following User Says Thank You to Product F(RED) For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

siraltus
Old
(Last edited by siraltus; 10th July 2014 at 04:20 PM.)
Thanks Meter 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Product F(RED) View Post
They're not really giving up on Knox. If you read articles about Android L's security, you'll see that Samsung "gave" Google portions of Knox's code so that it could be implemented into Android itself.
Yes, I read it. However, if you read the article, you'll see that Google's implementation of the container is different from Knox, and not backwards compatible.

The question of whether Android L will require a tamper flag in the bootloader remains to be answered - Google can drop it by using a different implementation, or they could require all devices to have it, which would be a PITA to implement in existing handsets that lack the eFuse and secure boot logic. I could see it being available only on flagship devices, as your regular S3-carrying Joe Schmoe could not care less about a secure container. Any device based on the Snapdragon 800 series chip will become compatible with just a bootloader update, as those SoCs have all the required hardware to implement the tamper flag.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to siraltus For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Er. Aditya
Old
Thanks Meter 260

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
thanks samsung for making it more idiotic then it was

Product F(RED)
Old
Thanks Meter 2556

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by siraltus View Post
Yes, I read it. However, if you read the article, you'll see that Google's implementation of the container is different from Knox, and not backwards compatible.

The question of whether Android L will require a tamper flag in the bootloader remains to be answered - Google can drop it by using a different implementation, or they could require all devices to have it, which would be a PITA to implement in existing handsets that lack the eFuse and secure boot logic. I could see it being available only on flagship devices, as your regular S3-carrying Joe Schmoe could not care less about a secure container.
I can't see Samsung backpeddling on the bootloader flag, since a tamper flag is a vital part of security. It just happens to be that it gets in the way of modifying our phones (for warranty purposes). I think they're just giving up on marketing Knox as their own in-house product and relying on Google to do the heavy-lifting. That way there's no weight on their shoulders in terms of security and cost of building and maintaining Knox.

HTC Evo 4G -> HTC Evo 3D/Nexus S 4G -> Galaxy S II -> iPhone 4S -> Galaxy S II -> Galaxy Nexus -> Galaxy S3 i9300 -> Galaxy Note 2 i317 -> Galaxy Note 2 T889

siraltus
Old
Thanks Meter 354
Quote:
I can't see Samsung backpeddling on the bootloader flag, since a tamper flag is a vital part of security. It just happens to be that it gets in the way of modifying our phones (for warranty purposes). I think they're just giving up on marketing Knox as their own in-house product and relying on Google to do the heavy-lifting. That way there's no weight on their shoulders in terms of security and cost of building and maintaining Knox.
That's my point. Since the tamper flag's main purpose is to indicate the integrity of the secure container, perhaps in Android L it will be decoupled from any hardware warranty claims and be software-resettable by some kind of enterprise administration authority that configures the secure container, such as your employer, and not just Samsung. Here's to hoping.

Tags
knox, root