Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,761 Members 41,934 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

My setup with Ubuntu and a custom permissive Kernel

Tip us?

aarstar
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Camera Camera?

Hey, thanks for the great kernel. It's working as expected to enable permissive mode, but I'm having one issue with it. When I use your kernel, the camera is disabled (says something like "Camera Failed"), and it won't work even when trying different software besides stock, like Google Camera. Anyway, clearing cache, etc. doesn't do anything, but the camera works again when I flash the stock kernel. Is this related to permissive mode or something else with the settings?

lickarock
Old
Thanks Meter 526

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarstar View Post
Hey, thanks for the great kernel. It's working as expected to enable permissive mode, but I'm having one issue with it. When I use your kernel, the camera is disabled (says something like "Camera Failed"), and it won't work even when trying different software besides stock, like Google Camera. Anyway, clearing cache, etc. doesn't do anything, but the camera works again when I flash the stock kernel. Is this related to permissive mode or something else with the settings?
The camera fails for me too. I dumped a logcat and isolated the issue here:

W/ActivityManager( 2746): Permission Denial: get/set setting for user asks to run as user -2 but is calling from user 0; this requires android.permission.INTERACT_ACROSS_USERS_FULL

V/ApplicationPolicy( 2746): isApplicationStateBlocked userId 0 pkgname com.google.android.GoogleCamera

But... the camera is not a huge deal. It did, however, break wifi. I did not get a logcat of that yet, but I would assume it is also a permission issue.

aarstar
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Wifi works for me using the fix mentioned in the OP. Also, thanks for looking into the camera issue. I agree it's not a big deal, and it's easily fixed by flashing the stock kernel, until someone figures out a proper fix.
The Following User Says Thank You to aarstar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

lickarock
Old
Thanks Meter 526

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarstar View Post
Wifi works for me using the fix mentioned in the OP. Also, thanks for looking into the camera issue. I agree it's not a big deal, and it's easily fixed by flashing the stock kernel, until someone figures out a proper fix.
Wow, I totally missed that entire line in the OP... You literally just made my whole day. I fought this all day long, desperate to get ubuntu working. Thank you for pointing that out.