Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,468 Members 37,511 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] That damn alt+backspace!

Tip us?

rad30n
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Thumbs down [Q] That damn alt+backspace!

Does anyone how to disable the alt+backspace "shortcut" that deletes the current line?

I really hate it, and searching around the internets there have been complaints about it since the first Android phone!

I've tried remapping del with a custom keymap, but no luck.
Does any developer out there has a clue where this is in the source? I don't mind commenting out the feature and recompiling my own rom, but I haven't been able to find where it is myself.

Thanks!

demkantor
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,751
I would assume it is in keychars/keylayout, but never really looked for it

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

rad30n
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by demkantor View Post
I would assume it is in keychars/keylayout, but never really looked for it

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Doesn't seem like so. It's seems like its a built-in behavior, at least I wasn't able to find the alt+del combo being defined anywhere.

luvbutrfly
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad30n View Post
Does anyone how to disable the alt+backspace "shortcut" that deletes the current line?

I really hate it, and searching around the internets there have been complaints about it since the first Android phone!

I've tried remapping del with a custom keymap, but no luck.
Does any developer out there has a clue where this is in the source? I don't mind commenting out the feature and recompiling my own rom, but I haven't been able to find where it is myself.

Thanks!
I have no idea how to assist with this, but I do find that function very annoying myself! I can't tell you the amount of times I've had it delete lines of texts before I even noticed it. If you figure this out, I'd love to test it out.

Gibson99
Old
Thanks Meter 8
count me in too. i would not miss this function at all. if i want to delete a block of text, i know how to use shift + arrow keys.

Gibson99
Old
Thanks Meter 8
at the very least, is there an UNDO function anywhere for when you do accidentally delete lines of text because of this stupid design flaw?

rad30n
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibson99 View Post
at the very least, is there an UNDO function anywhere for when you do accidentally delete lines of text because of this stupid design flaw?
Haven't been able to find any undo or workaround. And google probably doesn't care because no-one there knows what an android phone with a keyboard is --- all the ones they got are in historical glass cases :|