Security Policy Updates

OP rob306

22nd April 2014, 04:56 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Flag Logandale
Thanks Meter: 6

23 posts
More
Constantantly getting a Security Policy Update notification saying policies are already up to date. Auto update is unchecked under Security Settings. Anyone else getting these notifications?

Sent from my SM-G900V using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to rob306 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd April 2014, 10:39 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 8

21 posts
Yes. Root...where are you?

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
22nd April 2014, 04:51 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Flag Logandale
Thanks Meter: 6

23 posts
More
Seems like I get the message when I update or install an app from Play.

Sent from my SM-G900V using xda app-developers app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rob306 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd April 2014, 09:35 PM   |  #4  
Flag Manchester, NH
Thanks Meter: 29

314 posts
Yep. Few times a day and EVERY time the phone reboots.
The Following User Says Thank You to xgerryx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd April 2014, 06:15 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 1

9 posts
Does anyone know what these security updates are?
28th April 2014, 09:39 PM   |  #6  
Flag Sin City, Las Vegas, NV
Thanks Meter: 7

43 posts
Yes... I have been getting these notifications that just started this morning.
A couple of days ago, I downloaded 4.4.2 and used Odin to install on my N7100, Rooted, stock ROM and kernel.
Before that, I understood that installing a ROM from another location, like the French ROM, might trigger some not-so-good stuff.
In the notification drawer I got the notification "Knox Security Policy Update... Tap here to allow automatic updates for...." and that's all there was because I didn't want to tap on the notification in case it was going to reactivate Knox and break Root.
I cleared the notifications, but it came back on reboot.
One thing that I noticed is that in searching for Knox in Root Explorer, with 4.3, there were only about eight or so files previously, now there are about 15 additional ones (didn't actually count them, but I have to scroll down in order to see the whole list).

This is gonna sound dumb, but I actually went into Kies (Which, by the way I never use) and got a message that there are updates for my device.
Well, since 4.4.2 Is the latest update for the N7100, I thought that possibly Samsung had pushed out 4.4.3, but in Kies there was no info in the software version field... it was just blank, so I left it alone because this was hot on the heels of that Knox Security Policy Update notification, so I'm leaving well enough alone for the time being until I get some definitive information from somebody here that actually knows what he's doing.

Losing root isn't the end of the world, but it's something that I'd rather not deal with at the moment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Official_Noob For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th July 2014, 08:30 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
n00b running a Verizon Galaxy S III, SCH-i535. (wrong device forum, explained that in last line of post)
Just updated (via Kies) from android 4.1.2 to 4.4.2 kitkat - and (of course) lost root access.
Used towelroot to get it back, already had SuperSU installed, so updated that, seemed to work fine. (using "su" command in terminal emulator returned a # prompt, and apps that request root permissions get blocked by SuperSU until I give the OK)
Now there is a shield shaped icon in the notification drawer, and it shows the following header and text when the drawer is open:

Security policy updates 07-04-2014
Tap here to allow automatic updates for the protection of your phone.

Clearing notifications makes it go away, but it reappears when the device is rebooted.
Installing/uninstalling apps via Play did not cause the notification to reappear, nor did locking/unlocking the phone.

Posting this here because it is the only thread I could find (on multiple sites, not just this one!) containing the same issue I am experiencing. Anyone know what this is yet, or how to get rid of it?
11th July 2014, 04:28 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 56

188 posts
More
I get these too. I believe they are telling you that there are currently no issues with the phone's security. As others have said, I get them when I first connect to Wifi, when I restart the phone, or when I install an application. I haven't been able to find much information on the notifications, but I'm guessing a policy is updated with new information when an application is installed. If you root you can freeze the updates. I just deal with them, I think they're essentially telling me I don't have any compromising applications installed.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread