Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,490 Members 40,334 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Enable USB mass storage, how?

Tip us?

Shebee
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
Default Enable USB mass storage, how?

How can I get this enabled, whether by default setting or custom method.

Gr8man001
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shebee View Post
How can I get this enabled, whether by default setting or custom method.
Have you enabled the Developers Options under settings? When I check USB Debugging and hook the M8 to laptop with a USB cable, it shows up as a mass storage.

One-M8-Master
Old
Thanks Meter 2196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8man001 View Post
Have you enabled the Developers Options under settings? When I check USB Debugging and hook the M8 to laptop with a USB cable, it shows up as a mass storage.
It will be shown as mtp device but not usb mass storage...he wants to mount the internal and maybe external sd card as mass storage like you would plug the usb flash drive to pc/laptop...but there is at the moment no way or method/workaround to get it working...but mtp should work on this phone fine so that transferred files shouldn't be corrupted etc

Gesendet von meinem HTC One_M8 mit Tapatalk
Its simple read before asking and use the search button and always be thankful its FREE!!!

Devices : HTC HD2 (Sold/broken), HTC One X (has my sister now), HTC One M8 (current) (changing roms always after few weeks of use and testing)

Shebee
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 37
I don't get it, why does Google do this BS?
Simplicity had no value anymore.
Mtp sucks and is slow and buggy.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shebee View Post
I don't get it, why does Google do this BS?
Simplicity had no value anymore.
Mtp sucks and is slow and buggy.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
Why? So the phone and computer can both access the storage at the same time so apps don't FC when you use mass storage. It's been like this for 2 years now so a bit late to be getting angry!
HTC One M8 (Gunmetal Grey) 16GB
ROM: 1.54.401.10 (KOT49H) | HBOOT: 3.16.0.0000 S-OFF | Recovery: Stock | Baseband: 1.16.2133156.UA15G_20.18m.4096.07L | Kernel: Stock | CID: HTC__001

OnePlus One (Sandstone Black) 64GB *** PENDING ***

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required)

duvall87
Old
Thanks Meter 11
It would be nice if you could have the choice between the two. Sucks I can't hook up to my car's media interface.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

doublehp
Old
Thanks Meter 32
In http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=54035979 I may provide a partial solution; depending on your exact need. Look for the post I sent a few minutes ago. More to come in the next days; I will test other apps, and report.
HTC One M8, unpacked 2014-06-19 at 4PM; HTCDEV + SuperSU + S-Off + hone made random scripts at boot 2014-06-20 at 11:30PM .

HTC Sensation received July 27th 2011 (First HTC). Cracked Fre3vo 28th. Craked S-OFF via Revolutionary 30th with success on first attempt. LeeDrOiD 1.2.

@rbiter
Old
Thanks Meter 957
People that have problems probably don't have good drivers setup for their phone. I think the last time I had issue with mtp was note2 and I updated my Samsung USB drivers and all was well. Have pretty much done that first thing when I get a new phone now. Never had problems with nexus 4/5, note3, moto x and now HTC m8.

sent from my HTC One M8 using hofo mobile app

doublehp
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Driver issue ... on desktop side ?

There are MTP issues on phone side, and this is not driver related. On same hardware version, you can find a veriety of stock ROMs, with a veriety of behaviour.

Plus there is a specific case where MTP deeply sux. If you read ads about M8 on HTC.com, you will see ... this phone is wonderfull because it can read UMS devices. Now, use this to connect two M8 together ... nothing happens; because whatever you do (with your OTG cable), M8 will provide MTP, and expect UMS. So, in short, this phone is not even compatible with itself !!!

So, the question is not to know if drivers have been installed correctly on desktop (Windows, Linux, Mac, whatever you like ... BSD, QNX, Solaris, OpenVMS ... just to quote the ones that can boot withint 2m around me ^^ Oh, forgot my Octane; it's 3m away). The fact is that MTP sux; and in many case, UMS is a must have. OTG was one example (wired phone to phone);similar example would be phone to tablet: you need at least one device to perform UMS; if both are MTP only, you are stuck.

Some M8 do UMS with stock ROM, others don't.

In my thread, I gave alternatives for MTP and UMS.
HTC One M8, unpacked 2014-06-19 at 4PM; HTCDEV + SuperSU + S-Off + hone made random scripts at boot 2014-06-20 at 11:30PM .

HTC Sensation received July 27th 2011 (First HTC). Cracked Fre3vo 28th. Craked S-OFF via Revolutionary 30th with success on first attempt. LeeDrOiD 1.2.

@rbiter
Old
Thanks Meter 957
Like I've said my problems have been few. And if I do need to connect phone to phone I prefer WiFi direct or Bluetooth. And I rarely hook my phone up to my laptop anymore. I use WiFi file transfer pro. About the only time I use it it to do my initial load up of 50-70gb+ of FLAC/mp3 more so because my phone won't lose charge while doing the massive transfer overnight. Then as I need to update or sync files I just use wifi file transfer pro to update. I don't see what the big deal is for PC's and such. But I do understand for use cases as car audio, the rare need to do phone to phone transfer because one/both users are less familiar with wireless transfer and I am sure there are more that I can't think of now. You would think somebody could've made an app that merged a file explorer and tricked os into doing ums, at the very least with micro SD cards. Internal would definitely be trickier and probably a lot of phones would be left due to the masses of different phones, skins and frameworks. I dunno. Hasn't been a problem for me at all really.

sent from my HTC One M8 using hofo mobile app