We now have root! Website is live.

Search This thread

killacam1989

Oct 29, 2013
Florida
Actually mine d9es not show the "custom" when I rooted it. It onk6 shows that when I freeze something the OS should have running but canot run it because it is frozen.

Running stock kk I have just frozen a bunch or apps.

PosTed with my Note 3 using SnapMaJik Suka!!!!

Mine showed custom after I installed safestrap. And rebooted. I just uninstalled safestrap and installed again. Now it doesn't have the custom icon anymore.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Free mobile app

mrkhigh

Dec 6, 2012
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 3
It is an apk thats sole basis is to use an exploit in the kernel to gain access to the system. Of course a virus scanner would see this as malicious software.

It by definition is.

Sent from my XT907 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: mzmartipants

a042349

Feb 9, 2006
Hey all,

I've just ordered an AT&T Note 3 and it will arrive on Monday. I'm wondering if Note 3's sold recently can be easily rooted with Towellroot or if I'll need to jump through some extra hoops?

I know it's all contingent on what version of Android is on the device, but I figured if anybody's gotten one recently they might know what I'll be getting. I want to get ready so that by Monday I'll be ready (read up, d/l files, etc) to do whatever I'll need to get rooted. I'm not really interested in flashing ROM's just yet, but really do want root.

So anybody know if new Note's purchased today are easily rootable with this TR method?

Thanks!

mrkhigh

Dec 6, 2012
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 3
The latest note 3 update is still rootable with towelroot. The next version will not be. Towelroot uses a vulnerability that has been patched in all new android builds.

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

Okay I stand corrected seems they are pushing new software. as long as you have nc2 on down you will be able to gain root and you can downgrade from the current latest nj2 to nc2.

Last edited:

a042349

Feb 9, 2006
Okay I stand corrected seems they are pushing new software. as long as you have nc2 on down you will be able to gain root and you can downgrade from the current latest nj2 to nc2.

Ok thanks. So if my N3 comes with NC2 I'm good to go with TR to root, if it comes with NJ2 I need to downgrade to NC2 correct?

Two follow-ups:

Is there a link to instructions for downgrading to NC2 from NJ2?

Is there a listing of these build numbers and what Android versions they represent (mostly for curiosity/completeness)?

Thanks again!

mrkhigh

Dec 6, 2012
Google Pixel 2
Google Pixel 3
Fwiw after you gain root if you do not intend on updating I would download app quarantine, then freeze a program that was named att update or something like that. Sorry it's my wife's phone and she's not home. I'm still using a razrm. Note 3 makes it look like a toy.

a042349

Feb 9, 2006
Yeah, I have a Note 2 now and I've frozen ATT Update (it's on 4.4.2) with Titanium Backup. As soon as I get root on my N3 I'll do the same thing. Thanks again.

JMH82

Nov 16, 2014
Someone shoot me please.....

I've messed up and did the update to NJ5 4.4.4 without reading up on ANYTHING....I wanna cry now. Maybe I'll just shoot myself. I've been out of the loop for a while now on this stuff, but was able to come across towelroot and get my phone rooted not too long ago and now AT&T has made things....I don't know....F'ed up. I didn't know anything about this Safestrap stuff. What happened to the good ol days where it was easy to fix things? :( DO NOT DO THE OTA UPDATE IF YOU WANT ROOT...I probably don't have to tell you all that huh? ;) Hopefully one of my family members is able to reflash my phone since she works at a AT&T repair/refurb center. I sent her a text and she said she doesn't think her computers have been updated to the 4.4.4 yet. Heres hoping she can do something.

a042349

Feb 9, 2006
Fwiw after you gain root if you do not intend on updating I would download app quarantine, then freeze a program that was named att update or something like that. Sorry it's my wife's phone and she's not home. I'm still using a razrm. Note 3 makes it look like a toy.

Just wanted to confirm that my new Note 3 had 4.4.2 (NC2) dated March and Towelroot workd fine, I then froze AT&T update with Titanium Backup and everything's good. Now I'll enjoy it for a while and maybe read up on and give Safestrap a go down the road.

Thanks again for the help.

Reactions: mrkhigh

Top Liked Posts