Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,332 Members 53,177 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Sony XPERIA M2 black is really black :)

Tip us?

Jozinek
Old
Recognized Contributor - OP
Thanks Meter 1884

DONATE TO ME
Default Sony XPERIA M2 black is really black :)

I like black colour very much but when i see Sony XPERIA M2, i thing about how much black colour is enough... This phone is really really very black and my question is if you like so black phone? Can it be blacker?

If i help you, hit thx button. If i help you much, donate to buy new devices...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jozinek For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

emompong
Old
Thanks Meter 339

DONATE TO ME
Heya @Jozinek, can you take photo in close up of the screen? How's the low res screen of it? Is is too visible for 4.8 display? You might want to right a lil review about M2, online blogs says bad about its camera too.

TIA.
HIT THANKS IF I HELPED YOU! - IT COSTS NOTHING!

CeBits
Old
(Last edited by CeBits; 10th June 2014 at 08:14 AM.)
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by emompong View Post
Heya @Jozinek, can you take photo in close up of the screen? How's the low res screen of it? Is is too visible for 4.8 display? You might want to right a lil review about M2, online blogs says bad about its camera too.

TIA.
The screen is qHD and pixels aren't really visible when holding the phone at normal range. The ppi density (229) is greater compared to phones with 4.3" - 480x800 screens (217). I don't have a good camera nearby, but taking a macro shot of the matrix won't really tell you anything as it doesn't match the scale when holding the phone in your hands, and let's be honest you don't really hold your phone 2cm in front of your eyes.

Otherwise, colors are great and I find it pleasant to look at, but since my last phone was the Galaxy S2, it took some time adapting my eyes to the new contrast ratio and the blacks that are generally pale compared to samoled displays.

The camera is well, mediocre. Pictures are usable only if you scale them down from 8 to around 4 mp in order to hide all the artifacts produced by the noise reduction algorithm. Here are couple of samples with all settings on max. The first two are taken in broad daylight, while the rest are taken inside under sufficiently bright fluorescent lights (8 of them). Click the thumbs for full size.

Otherwise the phone feels snappy and the battery life is good, but the biggest gripe perhaps is the absence of the "Move to SD" button in the application management. This is quite a problem if you intend to play some of the bigger games since you only get about 5GB of usable storage space. Hopefully this can be remedied once we get a full root access on our phones (BL locked here).

P.S. Traditionally, I have 2 dead/stuck pixels on my brand new M2. This seems to be a custom with all Xperia phones lately, at lest in my case. My Xperia SK17i, Arc S and J also had 2 dead pixels out of the box.
The Following User Says Thank You to CeBits For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

emompong
Old
Thanks Meter 339

DONATE TO ME
Thank you for your response,

I didn't encountered any dead pixels in any of my sony smartphones. I owned Xperia Acro S and currently using Sony Xperia Z1. Im considering M2 as a back up phone and so I asked about the screen because I know that since Im using my Z1 for almost 8 mons, It will be a huge difference between screen quality.

ofc its not fair to compare it to z1 lol, just saying. Though Sony got a good job here for the design that almost looks like the Z series. Though at its price range, my Acro S has better specs(IMO) with IP certification, more internal storage, camera etc.

Still its on my list to consider so searching for a better one - maybe of t3 will be released as early.

Cheers! @Jozinek
HIT THANKS IF I HELPED YOU! - IT COSTS NOTHING!

CeBits
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Here are the pics of the screen. I don't know how useful these actually are as you can't clearly see the pixel when looking with naked eye, but nevertheless. The phone on the left is my old S2. Just don't confuse the net effect the screen produces when taking a picture with the actual pixels. To get the idea, scale the picture down until it matches the phone in your hand 1:1 or else you are just looking at a magnified version of the device.

Anyway, the last pic is super macro and as you can see it's an RGB panel. Click for full res.

The Following User Says Thank You to CeBits For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

molnartibor
Old
Thanks Meter 14
i'd say the M2's resolution is on the lower limit of what can be considered acceptable. (I am comparing with the Lumia 625 which has 800x480 on a similar screen size - that is below acceptable). generally in the menu or homescreen you won't notice any lack of resolution, but when it comes to reading small text on webpages the font lacks sharpness and is harder to read.
Sony Ericsson MT15i Xperia Neo | LegacyXperia CyanogenMod 11 (4.4.2) | 3.4 kernel by nAa
Huawei MediaPad | CyanogenMod 10.2 (4.3.1)

pikas23
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Yup, i too have stuck white pixels, unnoticable from afar,.. whitish freaky dots.. But its too microscopic.. I think its because of the TFT screen? It aint ips..?

Sent with my m2
DroidVPN User

SONY Xperia M2
Previous Phone: Innos D9
Previous Phone: LG P500 Still working