Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Sony XPERIA M2 black is really black :)

OP Jozinek

22nd May 2014, 08:26 PM   |  #1  
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag www.XPERIA.cz
Thanks Meter: 2,267

1,008 posts
Donate to Me
More
I like black colour very much but when i see Sony XPERIA M2, i thing about how much black colour is enough... This phone is really really very black and my question is if you like so black phone? Can it be blacker?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jozinek For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th June 2014, 01:59 AM   |  #2  
LUCENA CITY
Thanks Meter: 346

671 posts
Donate to Me
More
Heya @Jozinek, can you take photo in close up of the screen? How's the low res screen of it? Is is too visible for 4.8 display? You might want to right a lil review about M2, online blogs says bad about its camera too.

TIA.
10th June 2014, 09:08 AM   |  #3  
Quote:
Originally Posted by emompong

Heya @Jozinek, can you take photo in close up of the screen? How's the low res screen of it? Is is too visible for 4.8 display? You might want to right a lil review about M2, online blogs says bad about its camera too.

TIA.

The screen is qHD and pixels aren't really visible when holding the phone at normal range. The ppi density (229) is greater compared to phones with 4.3" - 480x800 screens (217). I don't have a good camera nearby, but taking a macro shot of the matrix won't really tell you anything as it doesn't match the scale when holding the phone in your hands, and let's be honest you don't really hold your phone 2cm in front of your eyes.

Otherwise, colors are great and I find it pleasant to look at, but since my last phone was the Galaxy S2, it took some time adapting my eyes to the new contrast ratio and the blacks that are generally pale compared to samoled displays.

The camera is well, mediocre. Pictures are usable only if you scale them down from 8 to around 4 mp in order to hide all the artifacts produced by the noise reduction algorithm. Here are couple of samples with all settings on max. The first two are taken in broad daylight, while the rest are taken inside under sufficiently bright fluorescent lights (8 of them). Click the thumbs for full size.

Otherwise the phone feels snappy and the battery life is good, but the biggest gripe perhaps is the absence of the "Move to SD" button in the application management. This is quite a problem if you intend to play some of the bigger games since you only get about 5GB of usable storage space. Hopefully this can be remedied once we get a full root access on our phones (BL locked here).

P.S. Traditionally, I have 2 dead/stuck pixels on my brand new M2. This seems to be a custom with all Xperia phones lately, at lest in my case. My Xperia SK17i, Arc S and J also had 2 dead pixels out of the box.
Last edited by CeBits; 10th June 2014 at 09:14 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CeBits For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th June 2014, 06:14 PM   |  #4  
LUCENA CITY
Thanks Meter: 346

671 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thank you for your response,

I didn't encountered any dead pixels in any of my sony smartphones. I owned Xperia Acro S and currently using Sony Xperia Z1. Im considering M2 as a back up phone and so I asked about the screen because I know that since Im using my Z1 for almost 8 mons, It will be a huge difference between screen quality.

ofc its not fair to compare it to z1 lol, just saying. Though Sony got a good job here for the design that almost looks like the Z series. Though at its price range, my Acro S has better specs(IMO) with IP certification, more internal storage, camera etc.

Still its on my list to consider so searching for a better one - maybe of t3 will be released as early.

Cheers! @Jozinek
10th June 2014, 07:59 PM   |  #5  
Here are the pics of the screen. I don't know how useful these actually are as you can't clearly see the pixel when looking with naked eye, but nevertheless. The phone on the left is my old S2. Just don't confuse the net effect the screen produces when taking a picture with the actual pixels. To get the idea, scale the picture down until it matches the phone in your hand 1:1 or else you are just looking at a magnified version of the device.

Anyway, the last pic is super macro and as you can see it's an RGB panel. Click for full res.

The Following User Says Thank You to CeBits For This Useful Post: [ View ]
22nd June 2014, 07:40 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 15

126 posts
More
i'd say the M2's resolution is on the lower limit of what can be considered acceptable. (I am comparing with the Lumia 625 which has 800x480 on a similar screen size - that is below acceptable). generally in the menu or homescreen you won't notice any lack of resolution, but when it comes to reading small text on webpages the font lacks sharpness and is harder to read.
12th July 2014, 10:44 AM   |  #7  
Flag Tagbilatan City
Thanks Meter: 3

68 posts
More
Yup, i too have stuck white pixels, unnoticable from afar,.. whitish freaky dots.. But its too microscopic.. I think its because of the TFT screen? It aint ips..?

Sent with my m2

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread