Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,628 Members 38,733 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

External wifi chips for monitor mode

Tip us?

androidhacker007
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default External wifi chips for monitor mode

I bought a samsung tab 3 8.0 about 4 months ago and was disipointed when there was no support for monitor mode(rooted already) so i was wondering is there any external wifi chips that connect through micro usb and have support for monitor mode?
The Following User Says Thank You to androidhacker007 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BinaryDroid
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by androidhacker007 View Post
I bought a samsung tab 3 8.0 about 4 months ago and was disipointed when there was no support for monitor mode(rooted already) so i was wondering is there any external wifi chips that connect through micro usb and have support for monitor mode?
I don't have the Tab 3 8.0 but on other platforms I target, I use 2 dongles based on RTL8187B chipsets they do both monitor, and injection, they are very well supported and at most all you require is the kernel modules for your platform. I built them out-of-tree with minimal work. I am sure their are many more chipsets others prefer but I use what I know works for me. a little googling will show you what dongles contain this chipset, I pulled the covers off mine to integrate them or I would get you the specific ones I use with great success.

BinaryDroid

androidhacker007
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Thanks but and this my fault for not stating it but I was more talking about having USB otg connected and then connect a USB external WiFi chip to that. The wifi chip I have is the Alfa AWUS036NHA.
So what I want to know is if I go buy a USB otg adapter will it work. As far as I know the Alfa AWUS036NHA has support for Linux(drivers) and android is linux . so would I need these drivers and if so how do I install them? And anther thing is, if this works and is recognized how would I put the chip into monitor mode(with terminal eliminator, could use other methods but terminal eliminator is preferred)?

Sent from my SM-T310 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to androidhacker007 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]