Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] S5 - Region Lock - How to test?

OP p4j1

12th July 2014, 11:00 AM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 1

78 posts
Some websites say that apart from making 5 mins worth of calls its also necessary to insert a regional SIM card before turning on the phone for the first time. Is this true?
12th July 2014, 03:27 PM   |  #12  
Thanks Meter: 622

1,978 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambada24

Some websites say that apart from making 5 mins worth of calls its also necessary to insert a regional SIM card before turning on the phone for the first time. Is this true?

No way to know unless someone does rigorous testing. Samsung probably prefers the particulars to remain murky to make it harder for end users to buy lower priced phones from other countries.

12th July 2014, 06:28 PM   |  #13  

78 posts
How can I go about resetting my phone to as close to its factory state as possible? I want to go through the initial configuration process with the SIM card inserted as I had configured it without a SIM card.
12th July 2014, 07:29 PM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 622

1,978 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambada24

How can I go about resetting my phone to as close to its factory state as possible? I want to go through the initial configuration process with the SIM card inserted as I had configured it without a SIM card.

A bit off topic in this thread. So you should start a new thread if you have any follow up questions..
But to answer, Settings > General > Backup and reset > Factory data reset > Reset

That should do what you want.
Be warned that this will delete all of your user data, files and apps. So do a backup first.

And optionally follow that by using Odin or Kies to flash a full OEM stock firmware image on the device.
The latter step isn't really necessary 99% of the time and does very little that the first step hasn't already done. But you did say.. as close as... possible

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
did I mention that if it was my device being sold, etc, that I would also trash my encryption keys, do several dd passes over the flash memory, soft brick, repartition, then wipe again with forensic software while pondering whether I had any reasons to simply grind the handset into fine powder.. ?
Last edited by fffft; 12th July 2014 at 07:43 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to fffft For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th July 2014, 11:23 PM   |  #15  

78 posts
Did both steps. At least if the phone decides not to work with a local sim card when I'm out of Europe I'll have a clean conscience
Thanks a million.
The Following User Says Thank You to lambada24 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread