Google Updates Play Games, Wallet, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drive, Google+, and Camera

While we haven’t really had much in the way of … more

Google Execs Talk to Ars About Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is right around the corner, and it’s expected to hit AOSP … more

UX Design in Apps and ROMs w/ Kevin Bruckert – BABBQ2014

This year’s Big Android BBQ has come and gone. While the whole event was … more

Bring Material Design Goodness to Your App with Support Library

At Google I/O 2014, the next iteration of Android was announced and … more

[Q] Calibration fixes for S-Pen on 4.4.2 KitKat?

OP shardsx

1st July 2014, 06:44 AM   |  #21  
Thanks Meter: 7

9 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtiangha

I actually managed to get my S-Pen recalibrated. I opened up S-Note and scribbled all around the edges until there was a solid 0.5 cm border. But the trick is that I did it all in a single stroke (or in other words, I never lifted the pen until I had filled in all the edges, which took a long while). After that, the dot now appears right under the pen. And it stays across applications. It worked for me; maybe it'll work for you.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

I can confirm that this method works perfectly, but ONLY if you do it inside S-Note. I'd been trying to re-calibrate it by writing on the edges for weeks and it didn't do anything, but 5 seconds in S-Note fixed it perfectly.

I think the reason it sucks so bad is that after a fresh install, the Samsung ROM doesn't even have default calibration data but it gets generated the first time S-Note is used. The only problem is that I never ever use S-Note because of LectureNotes.
Last edited by ngorgi; 1st July 2014 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Screwed up with quoting
The Following User Says Thank You to ngorgi For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th July 2014, 08:50 PM   |  #22  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 9

53 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngorgi

I can confirm that this method works perfectly, but ONLY if you do it inside S-Note. I'd been trying to re-calibrate it by writing on the edges for weeks and it didn't do anything, but 5 seconds in S-Note fixed it perfectly.

I think the reason it sucks so bad is that after a fresh install, the Samsung ROM doesn't even have default calibration data but it gets generated the first time S-Note is used. The only problem is that I never ever use S-Note because of LectureNotes.

Hi ngorgi,

I'd tried this method before but it never worked for me. Can you confirm something for me? When you are drawing in S-Note, you are drawing only on the S-Note's drawable surfaces? I mean, are you drawing into the top status bar areas or are you stopping where the status bar begins?

Thanks.
5th July 2014, 12:16 PM   |  #23  
Thanks Meter: 2

15 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCallahan

Assuming you are rooted? If so, try flashing civato's new kernel. It has integrated fix for S-Pen alignment.

this ?SphereKat-Rev4.1 Note8.0
9th July 2014, 10:27 PM   |  #24  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
My S-Spen went goofy with 4.4.2 as well (fully stock)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shardsx

Hi ngorgi,

I'd tried this method before but it never worked for me. Can you confirm something for me? When you are drawing in S-Note, you are drawing only on the S-Note's drawable surfaces? I mean, are you drawing into the top status bar areas or are you stopping where the status bar begins?

Thanks.

I am having similar stylus offset issues after 4.4.2 update. I am fully stock, and never had stylus offset issues. Crazy frustrating, and I actually opened a help case with Samsung, whose advice was to factory reset. Having never done one, I backed up via Kies, copied SDCard files, etc, but dang, what a bummer to go thru a factory reset and try to rebuild the tablet to have icons where I want them, apps, etc. Not to mention all of the local saved game progress that is gone. AND it did *nothing* to help the s-pen accuracy problems; I should have known better, but thought I'd give it a try. Samsung suggests sending it in for a tech to look at it, but not way I am doing that...I don't trust their level of support, to be quite honest.

So, I am equally interested in experiences that have gotten other users' SPens to start behaving. I have tried S-Note scribbling, but with vertical scrollbar, and menu stuff at the top and bottom of the screen, I surely cannot scribble the entire screen. I am also curious in more details on how anyone, using S-Note, got it to effect some positive change.

Thanks,
Mike

Now, after always staying stock, I am considering whether to use custom ROM or kernel; I saw the couple of posts about civx(sp?) ROMs making the s-pen work well again. So many questions on custom ROMs, though <sigh> but perhaps it's time to do some research and give it a shot.
Last edited by mruddick; 9th July 2014 at 10:58 PM.
10th July 2014, 05:14 PM   |  #25  
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
I have S Pen 4.4.2 issues, curious if our builds are the same?
Quote:

I also have S-Pen issues, and have not been able to get S-Note to drive a fix. I am running stock 4.4.2.
Just for completeness and clarity sake, I wonder if it makes sense for any of us to compare versions/builds that are on our tablets? I assume we are all on the same, but who knows...
Tablet -> about tells me:
GT-N5110
kernel 3.0.31-1498778
dpi@SWDD5610 #1
Fri May 23 20:39:57 KST 2014
Build KOT49H.N5110UEU2CNE2

-Mike
10th July 2014, 09:34 PM   |  #26  
Flag Rock Chalk
Thanks Meter: 672

1,960 posts
Quote:

Just keep in mind that not only does the framework require modification to fix the SPen accuracy but it is also in the kernel. Don't see how SNote can modify the kernel data and framework to fix. Not saying you don't see a big difference using the method you used, but have to wonder why it works for some and not others. Best option still is to root and install custom rom & kernel.

Just my $.02
12th July 2014, 11:59 PM   |  #27  
Flag Duluth
Thanks Meter: 105

1,056 posts
More
I've found that (at least in INKredible) that it is much more noticible on portrait than landscape. Changing between them and back again seems to reduce the offset. I dunno why the orientation matters so much. Normally I use landscape.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread