Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,580 Members 40,882 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Snapdragon 800 a bit long in the tooth by now.

Tip us?

Nutsonfire
Old
Thanks Meter 44
For what it's worth, I have both the Tab Pro 8.4 and 10.1 and I find that with the stock ROM the 10.1 runs better than the 8.4. The 8.4 might be a little snappier but the 10.1 feels smoother, less jittery screen etc. Both with Google now launcher and lots of Samsung apps disabled.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
Nexus 5, Nexus 7 2013, Tab Pro 8.4, Tab Pro 10.1

AndreiLux
Old
Thanks Meter 13595

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG View Post
What's your take on this?

When processing pictures or multimedia from memory to display panel, the Mobile Image Compression (MIC) function inside the newest Exynos 5 Octa family successfully lowers the total system power. Through this feature, you would experience the maximized usage hours of mobile devices with a high-resolution display such as WQXGA (2500x1600), in particular when browsing the web or doing multimedia application requiring the frequent screen refresh.

http://www.samsung.com/global/busine...octa_5420.html
There was an interview with a Samsung SLI engineer that I can't find again where he talked more about it. In addition to battery savings (which the S' need desperately on whites) he talked about greatly improved screen refresh rates. He discussed it as a big advantage over Snapdragon. Maybe (finally) there's something in Exynos that the higher demand (guess) big AMOLED display's benefit from. I guess we'll see when the North America S-800 LTE devices come out whether there's any performance or battery life differences compared to their global Exynos/LTE brethren.
Snapdragons need to run a double width display interface to be able to run QHD screens, the Exynos doesn't. Don't have numbers, but this affect power consumption, it's correct.