Nova Launcher Update Brings Lollipop Functionality and Feel

One of the most popular third party launcher on Android, Nova Launcher, has just … more

Check Your I/O Usage with Iotop for Android

Ever needed to check the I/O usage of apps? If so, you probably tried searching for an iotop … more

T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more

Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

I need to install Metrotalk on my new phone and I need YOUR help

OP Darth Tigris

24th June 2014, 03:07 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
I searched and searched and cannot find a clear answer to this, so I apologize in advance if I'm asking something redundant.

I recently purchased an Icon and my most used app on a daily basis was Metrotalk. I was part of the beta and purchased it as soon as it was available eagerly. The dev was awesome and updated the app in a way that set a high standard. Well, with the threat from Google of blocking access to Google Voice for 3rd party apps, the developer decided to unpublish the app just weeks prior to me finally upgrading to a WP8 device (which he added numerous exclusive features for).

Here's the deal though: the xap is still available for download from it's page on the store. Is there any way for me to get install this manually on my phone still? If so, can anyone direct me a thread here that tells me how to do it?

Thanks, folks. Here's to hope ...
24th June 2014, 07:06 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Developer
Flag Seattle
Thanks Meter: 2,708

5,731 posts
More
Does your phone have an SD card slot? If so, download the .XAP from the web store and put it on the SD card, then (with card in the phone) open the Store hub. There should be an option to install the app from the SD card. I can't promise it'll work but it's worth trying.
24th June 2014, 08:02 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDayToDie

Does your phone have an SD card slot? If so, download the .XAP from the web store and put it on the SD card, then (with card in the phone) open the Store hub. There should be an option to install the app from the SD card. I can't promise it'll work but it's worth trying.

Unfortunately it doesn't.

I've read about developer unlocking my phone, using a xap deployer and several other things but I'm hesitant to go that route without knowing for sure it would work. I'm not a developer and I'm not looking to sideload a bunch of apps or anything like that. I just want this one that I purchased back really, really bad. Yeah, it's that useful of an app for me.
24th June 2014, 05:51 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 13

88 posts
When it's unpublished, there's no way to redownload it. You need an unencrypted xap for that (not from the store). Best way would be to ask the developer, and if he gives it to you you can just download the windows phone SDK, register the phone & deploy the app.
24th June 2014, 06:16 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by th0mas96

When it's unpublished, there's no way to redownload it. You need an unencrypted xap for that (not from the store). Best way would be to ask the developer, and if he gives it to you you can just download the windows phone SDK, register the phone & deploy the app.

That's what I was afraid of. Well, I will give that a try. He's been really awesome in the past, so hopefully he'll capitulate. Thanks!
24th June 2014, 08:41 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 13

88 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Tigris

That's what I was afraid of. Well, I will give that a try. He's been really awesome in the past, so hopefully he'll capitulate. Thanks!

Well, the worst that could happen is him saying no. You don't put your device security to risk, it's not illegal and should be ok ^^ if you don't want the whole SDK and don't need it, you can get the "lite sdks" from arnold link here: http://dhost.info/vink/avink/forums/...c.php?f=10&t=4 it has everything needed to deploy the app.
1st July 2014, 02:22 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Tried to contact the dev 3 different ways and no response. This sucks.
8th July 2014, 11:53 AM   |  #8  

2 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Tigris

Tried to contact the dev 3 different ways and no response. This sucks.

I tried contacting him as well on wpcentral but he didn't respond either unfortunately.
10th July 2014, 05:59 PM   |  #9  
Pearland, TX
Thanks Meter: 17

123 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'biousAllious

I tried contacting him as well on wpcentral but he didn't respond either unfortunately.

If we can find someone with a Samsung ativ s with the app installed, we could get the unencrypted xap. Or I might be able to get my lumia 920 jtag-unlocked...
13th July 2014, 05:52 AM   |  #10  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'biousAllious

I tried there too, along with email and reddit.

What I don't understand is why the pressure to remove the app from the store when other apps (such as Free Talk) are still available on there? Was Metrotalk singled out because it was awesome???

These are rhetorical questions, as I know no one here can answer them and the developer only talks about Metromail now ...

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread