Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,145 Members 36,157 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Review] Choetech T510 Qi Wireless Car Charger Dock

Tip us?

uberNoobZA
Old
(Last edited by uberNoobZA; 12th May 2014 at 08:28 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 314
Default [Review] Choetech T510 Qi Wireless Car Charger Dock

This is a quick review of the Choetech T510 Qi Wireless Car Charger Dock I am using.

Packaging and what's in the box
The dock comes with pretty much everything you need (and more) -
- the wireless dock itself
- an adaptor to use it with the air vent in your car
- a suction cup to use on your windscreen / dash
- a suction disc you can place on your dash to place the suction cup on
- 2 (yes 2) USB to Micro USB cables, a short one for when using dock in air vent and a longer one for when using dock on dash or windscreen
- small stick on cable runners to keep the USB cable from flopping around while you drive
- cigarette lighter adaptor to plug the USB cables into (5V,2100mA output)

Compatibility
It's a generic dock, and is more than big enough for the S5, and fits the Note 3 nicely as well. I'd expect it would just barely fit a 6 inch phone (space between the arms of the dock is 9.5cm (3.47 in) ).

Even though it is a wireless charger, it still has space in the 'bottom' edge for a standard size micro USB charger connector for phones that have a micro USB charging port in the center on the bottom of the phone - this means you can plug the USB charger directly into your phone for a quicker charge (wireless charging is usually less efficient than wired charging) or you can use the same dock with phones that do not have wireless charging.

Stability
The suction cup works well on glass and the suction disc. I have not used it in my car's air vents as they are very weak and will not support the weight of the dock and phone - this will obviously be a limitation for any dock that uses car air vents.

So far, I have not noticed any more vibration / shaking on the phone when in the dock, compared to other docks I have used, but then I have only driven on tarred roads in good condition while using it.

One tip - as the arms are not as thick as they could have been, and thus not as strong as they could be, they do not grip as well as they probably should. The solution to this is to squeeze them good and tight, though I expect this will put more strain on them and may result in them not lasting as long as one would expect - only time will tell.

Build Quality
With most 'generic' products made in China, build quality is usually sacrificed in a bid to keep costs down. The arms on the dock look quite thin and I expect they would break quite easily under stress, especially taking my 'tip' above into consideration. That being said, I am quite impressed with the build quality of this dock. Even though it is quite 'plasticky' it still looks premium, and seems pretty well put together. Also, it does not have the expected 'rattles' you get with low build quality plastic devices.

All in all, I'm quite impressed with this dock, and even though it is comparatively expensive (when compared to generic non wireless docks), it's not a bad price for a generic wireless dock, considering all the extras that come in the box (my xProDock, which was not wireless, not generic, and cost more, did not even have a cigarette lighter adaptor, never mind handy cable runners).

-EDIT-
It seems that I was a little premature about commenting on the build quality, as it seems to have 'broken sort of'. It seems the plastic piece housing the suction cup and the plastic arm have partly come apart ever so slightly, but there is now a rattle and you can see vibrations in the phone when mounted. Maybe it was me that did something, but still, you'd expect it to last a little longer.

I use my phone for navigation and also as an in car DVR, so I use iBolt's Dock 'n Drive app, as it has built in support for DailyRoads Voyager.

In the screenshots below, you'll notice I have an NFC tag (yes I know I shoulda used a black one) on the dock. I use this in conjunction with the Trigger app to automatically enable bluetooth, turn off wireless, set volume to max, enable GPS (you need root for this option) and then launch iBolt Dock 'n Drive (I do not both enabling 'dock mode', or using the iBolt Dockmode app, as Samsung has removed dock mode from the S5)

Notes about using NFC and Wireless Charging
As I am not yet able to get the Samsung Wireless Charging Cover (but will when they are available), I have purchased a third party wireless charging receiver for my S5, which fits under the standard (non wireless) back cover, with only the slightest of bulges (yes I know it probably messes up the water resistance of the phone, but then I don;t usually leave it in a glass of water, or take it swimming) and it also allows me to use my Spigen Slim fit case. I am not sure if what I am about to describe is due to the wireless charging receiver I am using, but thought I would mention it anyway.

(This only applies to people that use a non swipe lock screen, as NFC is disabled when using a non swipe lock screen.)

When I put my phone in the dock, NFC will only pick up the tag in the dock if I have already unlocked the phone. This is because NFC does not seem to work once the phone is charging wirelessly. This means that if I put the phone in the dock while the phone is locked and it starts charging wirelessly, when I unlock the phone, NFC will not pick up the NFC tag.

- EDIT - kms108 has just confirmed that he does not have the issue with NFC and wireless charging when he uses the Genuine Samsung Wireless Charging kit (for desktop, not for car), so I guess the issue I am experiencing lies somewhere in the car dock, or the wireless receiver. I've ordered a Genuine Samsung Wireless Cover and will update this post on whether that has the same issues with NFC on this car dock.

Dock with windscreen suction cup
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140511_110923.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	2737641

iBolt Dock 'n Drive

Name:	Screenshot_2014-05-11-11-28-54.png
Views:	462
Size:	236.4 KB
ID:	2737642

iBolt Dock 'n Drive with media controls, DailyRoads Voyager controls, and a compass

Name:	Screenshot_2014-05-11-11-20-16.png
Views:	376
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	2737643

DailyRoads Voyager

Name:	Screenshot_2014-05-11-11-19-39.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	2737644

Please hit that Thanks button if you found this review useful
Don't be shy to hit that 'Thanks' button
Current -
Samsung Galaxy S5 G900F - Stock 4.4.2
Samsung Galaxy Camera GC110 - Stock 4.1
ASUS Transformer Book T100 - Win8.1 Pro

Retired / Sold -
Galaxy Note 3 | Nexus 5 | Nexus 4 | Lumia 925 | Galaxy S3 | HTC Desire | HTC Desire HD | Galaxy S2 | Galaxy Nexus
Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition) | Nexus 7 (2013) | Nexus 7 (2012) | Galaxy Note | Galaxy Tab | Archos 80 G9 | Asus Transformer | Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-N8000
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to uberNoobZA For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tomo1971
Old
Thanks Meter 82
Couple of questions...

Does the mount have a standard garmin 17mm ball mount on the back?

Have you watched it charge the phone when in use.... Ie screen on, gps on etc... As wireless chargers are generally low output, many can't charge more than the phone discharges.

Does it work with a handset with a case?

How would we know if the coil in the charger matches up to the location of the charger in the phone? I note that phones wireless receivers are in different places

Any pics of the rear of the mount and the handset in the mount with and without a case.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

kms108
Old
Thanks Meter 846
The T510 has 3 coils for multi positioning.
Samsung Galaxy S5 SM900F
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Duos I9192

Sony XBA 3
Sony MDR EX600
Sony MDR EX800ST
Xiao Mi Piston IF Edition
The Following User Says Thank You to kms108 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

uberNoobZA
Old
(Last edited by uberNoobZA; 11th May 2014 at 03:11 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 314
"Does the mount have a standard garmin 17mm ball mount on the back? " - No. Look at the picture I took of the dock disassembled and you will see where the ball mount is.

"Have you watched it charge the phone when in use.... Ie screen on, gps on etc... As wireless chargers are generally low output, many can't charge more than the phone discharges." - Yes. Depending on what you are doing, it will struggle to charge. When I tested with wifi on, BT on, GPS on, and recording video in background, battery went down about 1% in 6 minutes. I only had it plugged into the USB port of my PC (dunno how much it outputs, but I read it's only about 500mA), so may get different result in car. Adaptor that comes with dock puts out 5v at 2100mA, and dock itself has sticker that says input is 1500mA. So if efficiency is about <= 75% (as per the packaging) then I guess in a car you could expect a maximum of between 1125mA and 1575mA going to the phone wirelessly.

"Does it work with a handset with a case?" - Yes, but depends on the case obviously. Would not recommend using with a wallet / flip type case. My pictures show it being used with a Spigen Slim Fit case

"How would we know if the coil in the charger matches up to the location of the charger in the phone? I note that phones wireless receivers are in different places" - it beeps and starts charging. As kms108 says, there are three coils on this model (as per the picture below) to allow for different positions. To be honest, I had more difficulty finding the charging 'sweetspot' on my Lugulake charging pad than I did on this dock, as it works with no issues in the dock.

"Any pics of the rear of the mount and the handset in the mount with and without a case." - Sure, see below. No pictures without case, as it makes no difference.

You KNOW you wanna hit that thanks button

Shows 3 coils used on this model

Name:	3-coils.JPG
Views:	283
Size:	230.7 KB
ID:	2737882

Dock has a charge light which goes blue when charging (green means it is receiving power)

Name:	chargelight.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	2737883

Disassembled, dock arm

Name:	dockarm.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	2737884

Disassembled, dock itself, showing where adaptor that clips onto arm goes

Name:	dockback.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	194.2 KB
ID:	2737885

Rear of dock when assembled

Name:	dockbackassembled.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	2737886

Phone in case, in dock

Name:	indockleft.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	2737888

Phone in case, in dock, showing blue charging light

Name:	indockchargelight.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	2737887
Don't be shy to hit that 'Thanks' button
Current -
Samsung Galaxy S5 G900F - Stock 4.4.2
Samsung Galaxy Camera GC110 - Stock 4.1
ASUS Transformer Book T100 - Win8.1 Pro

Retired / Sold -
Galaxy Note 3 | Nexus 5 | Nexus 4 | Lumia 925 | Galaxy S3 | HTC Desire | HTC Desire HD | Galaxy S2 | Galaxy Nexus
Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition) | Nexus 7 (2013) | Nexus 7 (2012) | Galaxy Note | Galaxy Tab | Archos 80 G9 | Asus Transformer | Galaxy Note 10.1 GT-N8000
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to uberNoobZA For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Tomo1971
Old
Thanks Meter 82
I'll order this once I can find a case that goes on the phone with the genuine wireless cover. Thanks for your time and answers.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Acaibowl
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by uberNoobZA View Post
"Does the mount have a standard garmin 17mm ball mount on the back? " - No. Look at the picture I took of the dock disassembled and you will see where the ball mount is.

"Have you watched it charge the phone when in use.... Ie screen on, gps on etc... As wireless chargers are generally low output, many can't charge more than the phone discharges." - Yes. Depending on what you are doing, it will struggle to charge. When I tested with wifi on, BT on, GPS on, and recording video in background, battery went down about 1% in 6 minutes. I only had it plugged into the USB port of my PC (dunno how much it outputs, but I read it's only about 500mA), so may get different result in car. Adaptor that comes with dock puts out 5v at 2100mA, and dock itself has sticker that says input is 1500mA. So if efficiency is about <= 75% (as per the packaging) then I guess in a car you could expect a maximum of between 1125mA and 1575mA going to the phone wirelessly.
I have tested at home with WiFi on, Bluetooth streaming music on repeat mode to my Sony MW600 on, GPS on, NFC on, Air View on, Air Gesture on,
and the battery kept at 100%.

heffe2001
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Anybody know how well this works with a Nillkin NJ003? I'm looking at wireless charging options for my car, and that's the charging module I'm putting in my phone..

KryptosXLayer2
Old
(Last edited by KryptosXLayer2; 18th July 2014 at 10:16 PM.)
Thanks Meter 289

DONATE TO ME
Bought this yesterday based on the OP's comments about it, and unfortunately it wasn't a stable way to charge my S4. I was looking for something that was future proof for me to upgrade to an S5 Prime / Galaxy F / whatever the next thing will be called. I ordered it through Amazon Prime, did 1 day shipping since Saturday's are usually my only day to screw with stuff since I work M-F and live on the road most of the time during the week. Charger constantly goes in and out of charging, won't charge up my phone, and looks / feels so flimsy that I don't find it stable enough to securely hold my phone while driving.

You can see my full review, noting that it is in fact an Amazon Verified Purchase review, by clicking here if you like, but overall, I was very disappointed in this mount as I'd like to replace my iBolt with something I can use with my next phone and not look so "generic or universal" as many of these crap mounts do. Some might remember me for being the one who did the extensive review on the iBolt for the S4, just as detailed as this review was, but unfortunately, there are discrepancies with this charger from enough people that make this a hard purchase to make, contrary to how the iBolt was for the S4 - everyone who bought one liked it and knew it just worked. I want to be prepared for the future and iBolt hasn't come out with anything yet and that sucks, but without buying something device specific from ProClip, etc, I don't see any other way of guaranteeing a solid, consistent charge....

EDIT 1 - I've sent it back and received my refund for it already, and put in my Craigsdock (Samsung) mount last night, but Greenjia, the company who distributes these Choetech mounts on Amazon, apparently didn't like my review being posted there SO much that they're sending me another one for free to review and then hopefully change my review on Amazon.... two things with this, first, I have verified with them that I have already received a refund, put in a new dock, and will not pay for another one that I am nearly 100% certain won't be any different, and second, I told them repeatedly that I have no use for this dock since I have a far superior dock already installed in the car that doesn't rely on wireless charging, a technology that is far from perfect and will almost always have issues with flagship devices using a lot of power / radios / sensors / screen on all the time, etc. So we'll see, I will update with whatever happens.....