Google Invites Selected Devs to Buy Project Tango Development Kit

Just about a month ago, the curious Project Tango development kit was … more

Micromax Yureka: Indian Handset with CyanogenMod

Thesoap opera involving Cyanogen Inc., OnePlus, and Micromax is one of the most talked about … more

Chainfire Turns Your Bootanimation into a Logging Center

Having a nice boot animation certainly adds a little bit of aesthetic polish to your … more

Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Best .pdf reader for NST

OP kazakore

30th May 2014, 08:53 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

13 posts
I'm using FBReader for eBooks (generally .epub from when I had a PRST1) but it doesn't support pdf files as far as I can tell. The stock Nook reader is even worse for pdfs then it is for epubs! What would people recommend?

My required features:
Orientation switching (landscape/portrait)
Cropping (not display/cut out dead space around poorly presented pdfs)
Aardict dictionary integration. (I use Aardict with offline Wikipedia and Wikitionary for lookup and read quite a few technical books and journals, which are generally in pdf format, so this one is pretty important to me.)

I've seen a user created one in the Nook NST Developer forum which meets the first two, but sure most do... Anybody able to give me a recommendation that matches all three?

Thanks
30th May 2014, 09:21 AM   |  #2  

2 posts
I don't know about Aardict, and all pdf readers have their issues. But Ebookdroid is an interesting option.
I*have tested Mantano which is nice, too.
30th May 2014, 12:06 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

13 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulapi

I don't know about Aardict, and all pdf readers have their issues. But Ebookdroid is an interesting option.

Which version did you install? I've tried both the latest 2.1.9 and earlier (last open source) 1.6.6 and neither want to install on my device!

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...FU&usp=sharing
31st May 2014, 08:42 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 9

129 posts
How about Orion Viewer? It meets your first two requirements (multi-touch pinch zoom works also) and it's supposed to support external dictionaries.

I like its behavior on my NST.
31st May 2014, 09:24 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 5

31 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazakore

Which version did you install? I've tried both the latest 2.1.9 and earlier (last open source) 1.6.6 and neither want to install on my device!

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...FU&usp=sharing

The last version of ebookdroid that work on the NST is 1.5.7, it's available on the play store.
ebookdroid can auto-crop pdfs and djvus to fit the screen, which is a killer feature IMO.
2nd June 2014, 08:01 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

13 posts
Got 1.5.7 installed thanks. Instantly text is more readable and sharper than with the stock reader!! Fiddly to get it to actually go to full with portrait but at least it can when I need to

I don't seem to be able to see how you would set a dictionary though. (Or even select anything.) Did it maybe come at a later release? Or am I missing something obvious?
24th June 2014, 06:11 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 14

147 posts
EBookDroid and Orion would be my two recommendations as well.
13th July 2014, 05:26 PM   |  #8  

3 posts
i use mostly Repligo Reader 3.4.5 or Mantano Ebook Reader Premium 2.2.3, bc both work in Fullscreen and for Epubs Alreader
Last edited by whit3rav3n; 13th July 2014 at 05:32 PM.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread