Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,401 Members 38,584 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[APP] NookCalc

Tip us?

sega dude
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [APP] NookCalc

NookCalc is a basic, four function calculator designed from the ground up for the Nook Simple Touch. It is optimized for the e-ink display. I wrote this app. The top right page button acts as a dedicated clear button, in addition to the on screen clear button and clear option in the menu.

Screenshot:
Attached Files
File Type: apk NookCalc.apk - [Click for QR Code] (837.9 KB, 20 views)
My Devices:
Craig CMP738a with official 2.2 rom.
LG Optimus F3 with stock 4.1.2 rom rooted with Saferoot
Toshiba Thrive with stock ICS rom.
B&N Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight rooted with NookManager
Try my Web Browser, Brandsonic Web! Available for Mac, Windows , iOS and Android!
The Following User Says Thank You to sega dude For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Renate NST
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 783
That looks nice, but 840 kB is way too big an .apk file for what this does.
It should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-20 kB.

You have included android.support.v4 and android.support.v7 when they are not used in the least.
You can delete those from your project.

nivieru
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Nice! It's good to see apps written for the nook.
The calculator looks nice and the e-ink optimization is great,
however, since I don't have anything to calculate just now I just did a bit of stress testing to find that:
a) there seems to be an int overflow on really large nubers, it either crashes or warps to negative.
b) I'm not sure what pressing '=' repeatedly is supposed to do (if anything at all) as it gives weird and inconsistent results.
c) it crashes on division by zero (I HAD to try that )
d) Also, to have a useful division function you really need to use floating point numbers.

It's a nice project, but needs some working on before being a useful calculator

sega dude
Old
(Last edited by sega dude; 21st June 2014 at 06:00 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it. Renate NST I removed the android.support.v7 and it significantly reduced the size of the apk from 837KB to 60.4KB, a 776.6KB difference. I didn't see android.support.v4 in my project. I didn't add any support libraries myself, Android Studio seems to put the support library in new projects and there doesn't seem to be a way to make a new project without the support library.
My Devices:
Craig CMP738a with official 2.2 rom.
LG Optimus F3 with stock 4.1.2 rom rooted with Saferoot
Toshiba Thrive with stock ICS rom.
B&N Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight rooted with NookManager
Try my Web Browser, Brandsonic Web! Available for Mac, Windows , iOS and Android!

whit3rav3n
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sega dude View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys, I appreciate it. Renate NST I removed the android.support.v7 and it significantly reduced the size of the apk from 837KB to 60.4KB, a 776.6KB difference. I didn't see android.support.v4 in my project. I didn't add any support libraries myself, Android Studio seems to put the support library in new projects and there doesn't seem to be a way to make a new project without the support library.
how do i close this program ?