Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,206 Members 44,268 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Idea: Build a USB OTG keyboard slider for MOTO X/G or Droid Maxx/Ultra

Tip us?

StevePritchard
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by godneps View Post
But then you need to have BT on all the time and even with some extra battery power hidden away in the keyboard that'd be a power killer no?

Or am I looking at this all wrong? Should we just be taking a BT slider case and adding more battery life?! I mean it'd be pretty cool to have a phone where you could leave BT on at all times and still have power at the end of the day...
Odd - I do have BT on all the time, and have power at the end of the day. BT is never at the top of the usage list for me.
Motorola Droid 4
Retired:
Motorola XT860
Motorola Milestone 2
HTC Touch Pro - Exquisite 4.22 Radio 1.14.25.35
O2 XDA Exec

The Solutor
Old
Thanks Meter 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by godneps View Post
But then you need to have BT on all the time and even with some extra battery power hidden away in the keyboard that'd be a power killer no?
BT is almost unnoticeable on the battery economy of a big sized android phone.

A keyboard does way less traffic than a BT headset, so way less battery consumption.

Th BT keyboard goes automagically in sleep mode when it's closed.

And, if you are picky, you can turn OFF the BT on the phone with a simple Tasker rule. (tasker is needed anyway to automate the screen rotation, the screen unlock when the keyboard is slided out and so).

If the above is not enough for you, I must add that the keyboard backlight, unlike a native one, is powered by its own battery.

So, the short answer to the question is absolutely not.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Solutor For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

godneps
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Solutor View Post

A keyboard does way less traffic than a BT headset, so way less battery consumption.
Now that I did not know. Every day is a school day...