Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Review of Don Scorpio Dolphin premium headphones w/lots of pics!!!

OP vectron

25th June 2014, 06:22 PM   |  #21  
Thanks Meter: 0

3 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vectron

I was talking about $400 P7 It's a great pair of phones, premium quality build and materials, but after awhile I couldn't get a comfy fit and bass was too overpowering, while upper mids were a bit colored. B&W makes amazing speakers, so they were trying to squeeze speaker design into headphones

I KNEW you are going to bring Takstar Pro 80 because that's what a lot of people compared Dolphins to on head-fi, and I remember Dolphin won hands down. I was watching a movie last night on my laptop, and my wife daisy-chained her IEMs to Dolphins so we don't wake up kids, and I enjoyed the sound a lot. Fantastic bass, great soundstage, and overall great sound signature. It's not audiophile neutral/balanced quality since there is some coloration, but they have a fun sound and fantastic ergonomics to fold flat. Btw, I verified with Penonaudio and they have EVERY color in stock!!!

That's because the takstar pro 80 is a heck of a value too I just needed a little more nudge before really getting the dolphins. Thanks for the insight. Now im gonna buy it.
25th June 2014, 11:43 PM   |  #22  
Flag ISRAEL
Thanks Meter: 135

513 posts
More
Quote:

What is your budget and type of music you are listening to?

Sorry for the delay. My budget is in the $200 range. I listen to all types of music, From classical to jazz to rock to rap to pop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
26th June 2014, 01:48 AM   |  #23  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 2,225

2,956 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpionhd2

Sorry for the delay. My budget is in the $200 range. I listen to all types of music, From classical to jazz to rock to rap to pop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I still think Dolphins will be a good choice for you; plus its a great deal for $99. ATH-M50x are great too and you can get Slappa case for it to make "portable" (it's in my M50x review). Sennheiser Momentum over-ear just dropped in price to mid 200s, also a great solution - they sound amazing!!! A few other suggestions are Shure SRH840 and SoundMagic HP100, $200 each.
4th July 2014, 02:21 PM   |  #24  
Flag ISRAEL

513 posts
More
Quote:

I still think Dolphins will be a good choice for you; plus its a great deal for $99. ATH-M50x are great too and you can get Slappa case for it to make "portable" (it's in my M50x review). Sennheiser Momentum over-ear just dropped in price to mid 200s, also a great solution - they sound amazing!!! A few other suggestions are Shure SRH840 and SoundMagic HP100, $200 each.

What are your thoughts on Bose QuietComfort 15?
4th July 2014, 03:16 PM   |  #25  
OP Senior Member

2,956 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpionhd2

What are your thoughts on Bose QuietComfort 15?

For active noise cancellation (ANC) you can't beat them. I never tried any Bose headphones, but typically ANC introduces a background hiss which affects the purity of the sound. Don't think its a big deal for majority of listeners, but for some it could be a deal breaker. Plus, QC15 uses batteries which means you constantly have to worry about those. Also, some listing on Amazon says QC15 is discontinued by manufacturer?

I would say, if you are traveling on the plane a lot or listen to a music in a very loud environment - those would be a good choice.
4th July 2014, 03:21 PM   |  #26  
Flag ISRAEL

513 posts
More
Quote:

For active noise cancellation (ANC) you can't beat them. I never tried any Bose headphones, but typically ANC introduces a background hiss which affects the purity of the sound. Don't think its a big deal for majority of listeners, but for some it could be a deal breaker. Plus, QC15 uses batteries which means you constantly have to worry about those. Also, some listing on Amazon says QC15 is discontinued by manufacturer?

I would say, if you are traveling on the plane a lot or listen to a music in a very loud environment - those would be a good choice.

I will be using them on a mountain bike for daily commute as well as other applications.

What about the SoundTrue model?
Last edited by scorpionhd2; 4th July 2014 at 03:24 PM.
14th July 2014, 12:32 AM   |  #27  
Thanks Meter: 1

1 posts
Don Scorpio Dolphin
Dear all,
I spent 8 months of my life in China last year and also spent my free time going around in the most incredible place worldwide for electronics gear.
The Shenzhen Electronic market
I bought one sample after try many kinds of headphone copy or original one's. I never know Don Scorpio brand and never try this product before but in just 5 seconds play a song from my Iphone ( that can't be a reference in audio quality!) and simply I love it. So finally I completely agree the Vectron opinion. Surely better than high end headphone made by AKG, not at same level of better Sennheiser, but sure 100% that the value of this head phone is may be 4 time the money spent ( if you have as reference the 120 usd price).
Just a remarks, in China cost only 30.

Regarding the materials quality, no dubt some detail can be better made, but never forget the price and the value of 2 way excellent driver that really can give you a timeless pleasure.

Chinese can make it perfect in some details but the price will be higher for sure (believe me I do this job everyday)

The Following User Says Thank You to jjdmx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th July 2014, 04:40 AM   |  #28  
OP Senior Member

2,956 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdmx

Dear all,
I spent 8 months of my life in China last year and also spent my free time going around in the most incredible place worldwide for electronics gear.
The Shenzhen Electronic market
I bought one sample after try many kinds of headphone copy or original one's. I never know Don Scorpio brand and never try this product before but in just 5 seconds play a song from my Iphone ( that can't be a reference in audio quality!) and simply I love it. So finally I completely agree the Vectron opinion. Surely better than high end headphone made by AKG, not at same level of better Sennheiser, but sure 100% that the value of this head phone is may be 4 time the money spent ( if you have as reference the 120 usd price).
Just a remarks, in China cost only 30.

Regarding the materials quality, no dubt some detail can be better made, but never forget the price and the value of 2 way excellent driver that really can give you a timeless pleasure.

Chinese can make it perfect in some details but the price will be higher for sure (believe me I do this job everyday)

Though I'm more into in-ear headphones, I still use Dolphins quite often.

Since you had a chance to preview so many different headphones, any other ones you can share with us about? Something unique with a great sound quality and more premium build?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread