Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,619 Members 52,350 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] XT926 4.4.2 Questions.

Tip us?

Kin Kira
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] XT926 4.4.2 Questions.

what information do we have on rooting after the 4.4.2 ota update? Also is there any information on unlocking the bootloader? I'm trying to see what other people have tried before I keep going at the same things that have failed. Also is there any information on changing the imei/flashing this? My end goal is cyanogenmod on Virgin Mobile. I've done this with other phones and I just got my hands on this one but there doesn't seem to be as much into on this as others.

Tldr version

Root after 4.4.2 ota?
Unlock Boot loader after ota?
Is it flashable to virgin mobile?

Current Phone:
Verizon Motorola Droid RAZR HD XT926 Rooted & Unlocked 4.4.2 GSM Unlocked.

Retired Phones:
Samsung Galaxy S3(I ripped it in half oops) Cyanogenmod flashed to VM.

Evo 3D 'V' Dirty Unicorns AOKP Hboot 1.40 S-Off

HTC One V Rooted Stock

iPhone 5c Jailbroken 7.0.6

Samsung Galaxy S2 Rooted Stock

billycar11
Old
Thanks Meter 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Kira View Post
what information do we have on rooting after the 4.4.2 ota update? Also is there any information on unlocking the bootloader? I'm trying to see what other people have tried before I keep going at the same things that have failed. Also is there any information on changing the imei/flashing this? My end goal is cyanogenmod on Virgin Mobile. I've done this with other phones and I just got my hands on this one but there doesn't seem to be as much into on this as others.

Tldr version

Root after 4.4.2 ota?
Unlock Boot loader after ota?
Is it flashable to virgin mobile?
Root after 4.4.2 ota? no not yet unless your unlocked.
Unlock Boot loader after ota? no probably never.
Is it flashable to virgin mobile? maybe, not 100% sure but check out this thread by @dragonhart6505 http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2389740

Kin Kira
Old
(Last edited by Kin Kira; 8th June 2014 at 05:10 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by billycar11 View Post
Root after 4.4.2 ota? no not yet unless your unlocked.
Unlock Boot loader after ota? no probably never.
Is it flashable to virgin mobile? maybe, not 100% sure but check out this thread by @dragonhart6505 http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2389740
****. So I'm holding an unrootable piece of crap? What information do we have on methods of root attempted and such. Maybe I can contribute to this I've got nothing but time.

Edit: your thread unlocks gsm support. VM would probably need me to reprovision everything and change my IMei to match a donor phone.

Current Phone:

Retired Phones:

HTC One V Rooted Stock

Kin Kira
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
I've been attempting various root methods for 4.4.2 and for the RAZR in general. I've had no luck. Is there a collective of people working on this cause I'd love to contribute however I can.

Current Phone:

Retired Phones:

HTC One V Rooted Stock

juliolopez76
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Talking root xt926 4.4.2 Solved with towelroot apk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Kira View Post
I've been attempting various root methods for 4.4.2 and for the RAZR in general. I've had no luck. Is there a collective of people working on this cause I'd love to contribute however I can.

google towelroot apk click on upsidedown y to download apk and install apk on phone run it and your in business.

iBolski
Old
(Last edited by iBolski; 14th July 2014 at 05:30 PM.)
Thanks Meter 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliolopez76 View Post
google towelroot apk click on upsidedown y to download apk and install apk on phone run it and your in business.
Just as an FYI, that is called "lambda" which is a greek symbol.

Also, this works on 183.46.10 (the current KK ota that came out a few months back), but it does NOT work with the latest soak test (183.46.14), so you need to stay on 183.46.10, root with towelroot and then unlock your bootloader. If you do not do this AND if you take the soak test, you will be unable to root as a root exploit for 183.46.14 does not exist.

I don't want to say it won't ever be rooted, but as more and more exploits are patched up, it becomes harder and harder to root this phone, so your best bet is to root and unlock the bootloader on 183.46.10. Don't take the chance on whether a root exploit will be found or not. You'll save yourself, and the rest of us, a lot of headaches.

If you have already applied the 183.46.14 before rooting and unlocking your bootloader, you are SOL. There is NO way to go back to the previous version and root and unlock, so please do NOT ask how to revert back from the current soak test (183.46.14) and root and unlock your bootloader because you can't. You just can't, so don't ask.

I repeated what I just said because people always ask "well, if you flash back to 183.46.10". The problem is, the exploit that allowed unlocking of the bootloader is in a protected area that even unlocked bootloaders cannot write to without the proper encrytion keys. Once that area has been patched via the latest soak test, you have no way to write over it again because you would need the proper encryption key inside the image to flash in order for it to work. Unless Motorola becomes nice and gives you the key, it won't work. And the previous OTA's key is now invalid, so again, flashing the previous FXZ (183.46.10) will not work. It will just skip writing the protect area.

Clear as mud? Hopefully.
Please hit "Thanks" if this post helped you.

RAZR HD XT926 (unlocked)
32gb Nexus 7
Chromecast

cmh714
Old
Thanks Meter 13
thats lambda....but you knew that

The Following User Says Thank You to cmh714 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]