[Q] Soft bricked, can't boot after flashing any Rom

Search This thread

n1234d

Aug 18, 2013
Mumbai
Google Pixel 6a
Hi everyone! My problem is that if I flash any rom (I've tried ARHD, Viper), the phone gets stuck at the boot screen. I've left it in that state for almost an hour and it hasn't progressed further. Restoring my nandroid backups also yields the same result. My fastboot getvar all:

(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.16.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.16.21331831.A15G
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) serialno: HT45
(bootloader) imei:
(bootloader) imei2: Not Support
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m8_ul
(bootloader) platform: hTCBmsm8974
(bootloader) modelid: 0P6B65000
(bootloader) cidnum: 11111111
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 0mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: c3d94491
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.163s

The phone is currently unlocked, s-off. I tried flashing with both, philz and twrp, none work. Also, these roms worked before on the same phone with the same recovery so I really have no idea of what went wrong. The firmware on the phone is 1.56.720.6 (Asia-India). I have tried clearing the cache partition multiple times, but it doesn't help.

n1234d

Aug 18, 2013
Mumbai
Google Pixel 6a
Hi everyone! My problem is that if I flash any rom (I've tried ARHD, Viper), the phone gets stuck at the boot screen. I've left it in that state for almost an hour and it hasn't progressed further. Restoring my nandroid backups also yields the same result. My fastboot getvar all:

(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.16.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.16.21331831.A15G
(bootloader) version-main:
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) serialno: HT45
(bootloader) imei:
(bootloader) cidnum: 11111111
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: c3d94491
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.163s

The phone is currently unlocked, s-off. I tried flashing with both, philz and twrp, none work. Also, these roms worked before on the same phone with the same recovery so I really have no idea of what went wrong. The firmware on the phone is 1.56.720.6 (Asia-India). I have tried clearing the cache partition multiple times, but it doesn't help.

The attached image is where it gets stuck. Adb works

E:\m8\>adb devices
List of devices attached
HT45NWM07703 device
@EddyOS, @nkk71 please see this. I think there's something wrong with my /data partition..

Attachments

• ts.jpg
    ts.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

EddyOS

Jan 2, 2010
London
According to the OP's getvar output they've NOT done the GPe conversion as the HBOOT version included in the RUU is 3.18.0.0000 and the OP is still on 3.16.0.0000

OP, I'd follow my guide linked in my signature and you should be good to go

n1234d

Aug 18, 2013
Mumbai
Google Pixel 6a
Did you recently do the GPE conversion?
Nope

May be you should try to flash the stock rom and stock recovery then flash the ruu.
I hadn't touched the firmware, so there shouldn't be any problem related to that. Anyways, a rom and recovery do Not affect an RUU flash.

This, the partitions get altered so you can't just simply flash back
Again, nope, I didn't do gpe

According to the OP's getvar output they've NOT done the GPe conversion as the HBOOT version included in the RUU is 3.18.0.0000 and the OP is still on 3.16.0.0000

OP, I'd follow my guide linked in my signature and you should be good to go

I flashed the international fw zip, and ARHD, (I had checked the hash of the file) and it still didn't work. Also, when I would reboot, some random artefacts would appear during the boot animation (different each time, sometimes wouldn't appear), such as there would be a random flash of purple across the screen or the boot animation would leave a trail behind it (like the effect you get web you would drag a stuck window in win98) etc. sometimes TWRP would act extremely sluggish while sometimes it would be fast and snappy. Quite a few times, while flashing any rom, the screen would go black and reboot to TWRP at random (even after disabling the display timeout). I tried formatting all the partitions on the internal storage. Still gave me problems. I tried to repair file system of each partition in TWRP. The data partition could never get repaired. All of these random problems lead me to believe that this was 99% the fault of the phone/hardware. Luckily I was within the 14 day replacement period and so I went out today after flashing the faux locked/s-on bootloader (I know I should not mess with firmware unless required, and I hadn't till now but I didn't care anymore since I was getting it replaced anyway. I also had 2 dead pixels and a scratch on my camera glass. Now I just have to sit back and wait for a new phone :)

Sneakyghost

Jul 24, 2008
InMyHead
We've seen this issue on Viper a few times and it usually happened after someone installed e.g. a VZW recovery to the GSM phone or vice versa.
A wrong recovery would flash stuff into the wrong partitions.

A RUU for your device, really just any, should fix it. You should run a RUU and then factory reset right afterwards from bootloader BEFORE flashing another custom recovery.

There is a cingular (AT&T) RUU out right now from HTC here: http://dl3.htc.com/application/RUU_...G_20.31A.4145.02L_release_368350_signed_2.exe which you could try - it is a GSM RUU. We don't really have WWE 401 RUU yet.

Just make sure you don't grab a SPRINT or Verizon RUU if you find any!!!!!!

Reactions: n1234d

n1234d

Aug 18, 2013
Mumbai
Google Pixel 6a
We've seen this issue on Viper a few times and it usually happened after someone installed e.g. a VZW recovery to the GSM phone or vice versa.

A RUU for your device, really just any, should fix it. You should run a RUU and then factory reset right afterwards from bootloader BEFORE flashing another custom recovery.

There is a cingular (AT&T) RUU out right now from HTC here: http://dl3.htc.com/application/RUU_...G_20.31A.4145.02L_release_368350_signed_2.exe which you could try - it is a GSM RUU. We don't really have WWE 401 RUU yet.

Too late for trying a fix :p , I just want to know what caused it, and I'm 1000% sure I had the right recovery, because as I said, I flashed many other roms in the past with the same recovery, and the problem came after I tried ARHD. And this is the gsm phone.

Sneakyghost

Jul 24, 2008
InMyHead
Yeah well no idea then. Just know I've seen this happen from wrong recoveries. Also not the time to dig into it any further if you've gotten that resolved already I'll leave it as is. Thanks for asking me though. Just keep in mind I've been out of XDA since months and am only slowly reading my way back in so I'm sure there are way more knowledgeable guys around regarding firmware, softbricks and the like.

mobile post... lazy typing...

Reactions: n1234d

7mojo

Nov 5, 2011
Too late for trying a fix :p , I just want to know what caused it, and I'm 1000% sure I had the right recovery, because as I said, I flashed many other roms in the past with the same recovery, and the problem came after I tried ARHD. And this is the gsm phone.

In such a big mess! I have the same problem as the OP - same to the last dot. I am on India version of device, and was just trying to update firmware to 4.4.3 and in that quest i flashed firmware from here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54899772&postcount=1392.

Post that camera and wi-fi stopped working - so I thought may be I screwed up with boot.img and reflashing Viper/ADHD would solve it. While on my way to install Viper I cleaned/wiped data in recovery and hit reboot accidentally which got the phone to stuck in bootloop. I pushed in back in recovery however, since then I have not been able to install either Viper or ADHD. I even tried doing a nandroid back-up from here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54940131&postcount=1419, however nothing brings me past the splash screen.

Off-late (few hours) I am not been able to do a back-up (nandroid) as my recovery throws cant mount sdcard or sdcard1 both. Please help!

Here is the "getvar all" log:

(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.18.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.19.21331147A1.16G
(bootloader) version-main: 2.10.720.1
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: HT469WM02625
(bootloader) imei: xxxx
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__038
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 42372cde

n1234d

Aug 18, 2013
Mumbai
Google Pixel 6a
In such a big mess! I have the same problem as the OP - same to the last dot. I am on India version of device, and was just trying to update firmware to 4.4.3 and in that quest i flashed firmware from here http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54899772&postcount=1392.

Post that camera and wi-fi stopped working - so I thought may be I screwed up with boot.img and reflashing Viper/ADHD would solve it. While on my way to install Viper I cleaned/wiped data in recovery and hit reboot accidentally which got the phone to stuck in bootloop. I pushed in back in recovery however, since then I have not been able to install either Viper or ADHD. I even tried doing a nandroid back-up from here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54940131&postcount=1419, however nothing brings me past the splash screen.

Off-late (few hours) I am not been able to do a back-up (nandroid) as my recovery throws cant mount sdcard or sdcard1 both. Please help!

Here is the "getvar all" log:

(bootloader) version-bootloader: 3.18.0.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.19.21331147A1.16G
(bootloader) version-main: 2.10.720.1
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: HT469WM02625
(bootloader) imei: xxxx
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__038
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: 42372cde
Did you re-unlock your phone?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

7mojo

Nov 5, 2011
Did you re-unlock your phone?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Yes, I did. Using HTCDev.

At the moment, I would be just happy with someway of going back to the clean slate. Is there a way I could go back to original/stock using ADB/Fastboot as recovery also doesnt seem to work.

Thanks

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yeah well no idea then. Just know I've seen this happen from wrong recoveries. Also not the time to dig into it any further if you've gotten that resolved already I'll leave it as is. Thanks for asking me though. Just keep in mind I've been out of XDA since months and am only slowly reading my way back in so I'm sure there are way more knowledgeable guys around regarding firmware, softbricks and the like.

mobile post... lazy typing...