Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,414 Members 49,506 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] SGH-I717 on T-Mobile in NYC?

Tip us?
 
DJ Scooby Doo
Old
#1  
DJ Scooby Doo's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 139
Posts: 774
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York City
Default [Q] SGH-I717 on T-Mobile in NYC?

Hey guys, I just have a quick question. I'm in the market for a new phone and I thought I could try out the Note 1. It's a perfect fit for me, except that I find more AT&T variants than T-Mobile variants for the price I'm looking at (Around $240 or less). Now, I know that NYC is probably already a refarmed area for 4G but how well does it work? Will it work as well as a T-Mobile branded Note or will there be hiccups? I also saw that people on YouTube were putting different radios in, but does it matter anymore if I flash that specific radio on a refarmed area? If anyone in a refarmed area could tell me how it is for you guys, I'd be forever grateful.

Oh and PS, I know that there are T-Mobile notes for that price, but the AT&T version has the ability to have Jelly Bean on stock, which I need since I'm buying for me and my mom.
Device(s): (Current) AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note II (Unlocked), (Sold) HTC Sensation XE, (Sold) LG Optimus L9, (Sold for parts) Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989, (Sold) HTC Sensation (Unlocked), (Bricked) LG Optimus L9 (Factory Unlocked), (Traded) HTC MyTouch 4G (Unlocked)
ROM: (Note 2) Stock 4.3 (rooted), (Sensation XE) ViperS 5.1.0, (L9) Stock V20H (rooted), (Galaxy S2) Stock 4.2.1 (rooted), (Sensation) CM10.2 (4.3) with Sultan Kernel, (L9) Stock V20F (rooted), (MyTouch 4G) SyNthetic_aospX 1.0.0-MR1SG
 
440bro
Old
#2  
440bro's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 383
Posts: 1,108
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cleveland ROCKS!!!

 
DONATE TO ME
I don't believe they made a tmobile note 1. Just at&t, bell, Rodgers, and an international version. The note 1 for at&t does work on tmobile partially. I don't think you will get lte. There are a bunch of radios you can try. Check out the super everything thread in the general section.

Price wise I think 240 bucks is A LOT for a note 1. You might be able to find a note 2 for that much and it's a better phone. There are tmobile, at&t, and Verizon variants of the note 2.
 
DJ Scooby Doo
Old
#3  
DJ Scooby Doo's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 139
Posts: 774
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440bro View Post
I don't believe they made a tmobile note 1. Just at&t, bell, Rodgers, and an international version. The note 1 for at&t does work on tmobile partially. I don't think you will get lte. There are a bunch of radios you can try. Check out the super everything thread in the general section.

Price wise I think 240 bucks is A LOT for a note 1. You might be able to find a note 2 for that much and it's a better phone. There are tmobile, at&t, and Verizon variants of the note 2.
Oh but they did make a Note 1 variant for T-Mobile. http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-tmobile

I tried to find a Note 2, but they're all broken, or have bad ESNs. I don't feel comfortable buying anything with a bad ESN. So you are advising against it?
Device(s): (Current) AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note II (Unlocked), (Sold) HTC Sensation XE, (Sold) LG Optimus L9, (Sold for parts) Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989, (Sold) HTC Sensation (Unlocked), (Bricked) LG Optimus L9 (Factory Unlocked), (Traded) HTC MyTouch 4G (Unlocked)
ROM: (Note 2) Stock 4.3 (rooted), (Sensation XE) ViperS 5.1.0, (L9) Stock V20H (rooted), (Galaxy S2) Stock 4.2.1 (rooted), (Sensation) CM10.2 (4.3) with Sultan Kernel, (L9) Stock V20F (rooted), (MyTouch 4G) SyNthetic_aospX 1.0.0-MR1SG
 
440bro
Old
#4  
440bro's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 383
Posts: 1,108
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cleveland ROCKS!!!

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Scooby Doo View Post
Oh but they did make a Note 1 variant for T-Mobile. http://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-tmobile

I tried to find a Note 2, but they're all broken, or have bad ESNs. I don't feel comfortable buying anything with a bad ESN. So you are advising against it?
Thanks for sharing the link with me. I had no idea!

I wouldn't say I'm advising against it. I had a note 1 for 2 years and loved it. 250 seems kinda high for a 2.5yr old device that's intended for a different network then I'm on. If it's brand new with a brand new battery, (Batteries barely make it 1yr in this phone) it might be worth 250 "to me".
 
DJ Scooby Doo
Old
#5  
DJ Scooby Doo's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 139
Posts: 774
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York City
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440bro View Post
Thanks for sharing the link with me. I had no idea!

I wouldn't say I'm advising against it. I had a note 1 for 2 years and loved it. 250 seems kinda high for a 2.5yr old device that's intended for a different network then I'm on. If it's brand new with a brand new battery, (Batteries barely make it 1yr in this phone) it might be worth 250 "to me".
Probably getting an S3 or maybe an S4. Thanks for your input.
Device(s): (Current) AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note II (Unlocked), (Sold) HTC Sensation XE, (Sold) LG Optimus L9, (Sold for parts) Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989, (Sold) HTC Sensation (Unlocked), (Bricked) LG Optimus L9 (Factory Unlocked), (Traded) HTC MyTouch 4G (Unlocked)
ROM: (Note 2) Stock 4.3 (rooted), (Sensation XE) ViperS 5.1.0, (L9) Stock V20H (rooted), (Galaxy S2) Stock 4.2.1 (rooted), (Sensation) CM10.2 (4.3) with Sultan Kernel, (L9) Stock V20F (rooted), (MyTouch 4G) SyNthetic_aospX 1.0.0-MR1SG
 
TNetRider
Old
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 5
Join Date: Sep 2011
Default I717 on TMOBILE

I'm using an AT&T I717 on Tmobile in NYC and have pretty results, even gets LTE.
Here is what I did:

1) Unlock the phone
2) download:
- CWM (odin flashable)
- [rom]{kitkat}[4.4.4]{beanStalk ver 4.4.4007}[7/11]
- I717UCMD3 modem
- [PATCH][AROMA] Polluti0ns Rom Patch [4.4/4.3] - V2
- pa-gapps for android 4.4
3) flash CWM recovery via ODIN
4) Update to CWM 6.0.4.7 (if you flashed an earlier version in step 3)
5) flash UCMD3 modem
6) factory reset and flash beanstalk rom
7) flash pollutions rom patch and select UBER kernel.
8) flash pa-gapps
9) give thanks to the i717 developers for providing goods that made this possible
10) enjoy the phone on tmobile with LTE in NYC.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Forums Added for the Nvidia Shield Tablet and Sharp Aquos Crystal

Just a few days ago, wetook an in depth look at theNvidia Shield Tabletand … more

[OTA Captured] Android 4.4.3 Lands on European HTC One M7

The secound release of the Android L Developer Previewmay be the new hotness for … more

Take a Perfectly Stable Shot with Open Camera

The camera app on our Android smartphones and tablets isn’t something we focus on all … more

Motorola Droid X Receives Almost Fully Functional KitKat Port

While we are all wondering when Google will decide to officially release … more