Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,832 Members 50,461 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] S4 is not charging

Tip us?

SelfElevated2
Old
Thanks Meter 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7mada View Post
Any other help?
There really is no other help. You gotta figure out if its your charge port or the charger.

If u can't replace with warranty there is 2 other options.
1. Buy the s4 wireless charge kit. Its like 80 bucks on eBay.

2. Get a universal battery charger and 2 spare batteries. And just swap batteries everyday.

3. Buy the charging port on Amazon or eBay and pay a electronic store to swap it out. Or do it yourself if u can handle it

sandman7793
Old
Thanks Meter 447
Fixed mine today. Took maybe 15 min. And $7.00. To eBay it goes.
Simple as pie, just use ifixit to do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app
A bOy StUcK iN a ManS BoDy..

TF101 Rooted KatKissing it!!! OC 1400

Samsung Galaxy S4 4.4.2, Sons rocking it now!

AT&T Samsung GN3 Rooted SS DynamicKat

nrhpd527
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman7793 View Post
Fixed mine today. Took maybe 15 min. And $7.00. To eBay it goes.
Simple as pie, just use ifixit to do it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using xda app-developers app
I am in the same situation and have just ordered the parts. I did a sample teardown and it appears to be pretty simple to do it. I'll report back in a few days, but my USB is for sure dead as it won't read either on a PC or Mac, or charge via a car, wall, or USB cable in a computer. I bought the Samsung S4 battery charger and kit, and the old battery works in there, so I know it's not the battery. However, the battery's "water damage" sensor is now pink, so I presume that the nasty humidity in North Texas this spring has killed the USB board. At any rate, hopefully, the fix is en route.

nrhpd527
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrhpd527 View Post
I am in the same situation and have just ordered the parts. I did a sample teardown and it appears to be pretty simple to do it. I'll report back in a few days, but my USB is for sure dead as it won't read either on a PC or Mac, or charge via a car, wall, or USB cable in a computer. I bought the Samsung S4 battery charger and kit, and the old battery works in there, so I know it's not the battery. However, the battery's "water damage" sensor is now pink, so I presume that the nasty humidity in North Texas this spring has killed the USB board. At any rate, hopefully, the fix is en route.
Well, the part and tools arrived and it was an easy replacement. The phone now charges like original. However, and this is a much larger issue, I cannot get and mobile data or any sort of non-wifi connectivity. I am thinking this board, which supposedly contains the antenna, is defective. It appears I can have EITHER network connectivity or sound, but not both. When I put the small plastic cover that also contains the speaker back on, it instantly kills my GSM connection to AT&T. With it off, I am getting a solid 4G LTE connection, and with it on, no signal at all other than wifi.

I've searched here and on the web, and the only thing I see so far is sending back the new USB board and hoping that the next one works in all areas.

Anyone have any ideas?

dwestall
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrhpd527 View Post
Well, the part and tools arrived and it was an easy replacement. The phone now charges like original. However, and this is a much larger issue, I cannot get and mobile data or any sort of non-wifi connectivity.
Double check the antenna cable connections at both ends. If you still have problems, try installing your old board back and see if data/wifi works. If it does, then the new board is probably defective.

nrhpd527
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwestall View Post
Double check the antenna cable connections at both ends. If you still have problems, try installing your old board back and see if data/wifi works. If it does, then the new board is probably defective.
The new board was defective, but they sent a replacement that worked better than the original. I also ended up finding out that the 1st replacement board had shorted the antenna cable, so I replaced that. My my son is now using the S4 with no problems. Long story short, he left his S3 on my car and it got destroyed, so I got an S5 and he got the S4...

All in all, to get back on track, this was an easy repair for anyone. I was surprised at how easy replacing just about anything other than the screen itself would be.