Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,429 Members 54,865 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Samsung Galaxy S5 supports ART

Tip us?

threedfx
Old
(Last edited by threedfx; 1st July 2014 at 06:48 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
I found both of my S5 devices (SM-G900F and SM-G900A) to launch the apps slower in ART than Dalvik. Went back to Dalvik and running fast now. Not something you would notice right away unless you have two devices to compare and do your own side-by-side with.

bmwjnky
Old
Thanks Meter 5
My S5 is doing fine on ART, no app issues and was able to do an update through Kies just fine yesterday. I have the SM-G900T for T-Mobile, all stock un-rooted. I might go the rest of the week on ART and switch it back to Dalvik over the weekend to see if I notice any difference.
The Following User Says Thank You to bmwjnky For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jgalvez21
Old
Thanks Meter 13
i cannot enable it in my exynos s5
disable xposed. delete greenfify
when it restart it doesnt do galaxy optimization

my take is , it doesnt work with root?

drakester09
Old
Thanks Meter 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalvez21 View Post
i cannot enable it in my exynos s5
disable xposed. delete greenfify
when it restart it doesnt do galaxy optimization

my take is , it doesnt work with root?
You need to uninstall xposed.

It should work on G900H, it does for me.

gee2012
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2802
I think Dalvikstill is faster and more stable atm on the S5 than ART, maybe because Samsung hasn`t fully optimised TW yet. ART is definately quiker on the Nexus 5 though.
USE Search: /this thread /all threads/Google before posting your question, you`re most likely not the first one having this issue

MateusMaciel
Old
(Last edited by MateusMaciel; 3rd July 2014 at 02:22 PM.) Reason: Adding information
Thanks Meter 1
Default Problems with ART

I don't know if this is the right thread to ask but here I go:
So an hour ago I decided to try ART on my S5 (international Qualcomm variant/not rooted) and now i'm having problems with it. It took about 15 minutes to optimize 400+ applications and now everything stopped working. The first thing I noticed was that the TouchWiz launcher was crashing over and over again. Then I decided to open the settings via the notification bar on the lock screen so I could switch back to Dalvik, but it also didn't work. The application crashes every time I try to open it. So I rebooted the phone and it was still optimizing about 40 applications and nothing was working. The only thing that works is the lock screen, some report-bug app and the notification bar. And the phone is alerting me that the storage space is running out.
Can someone please help me? I'm desperate.
The Following User Says Thank You to MateusMaciel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bmwjnky
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gee2012 View Post
I think Dalvikstill is faster and more stable atm on the S5 than ART, maybe because Samsung hasn`t fully optimised TW yet. ART is definately quiker on the Nexus 5 though.
This. Switched back to Dalvik they other day on my S5 and the first thing I noticed was when my aux connector is plugged in it would recognize it almost instanly. When I was running ART it would take about 5-10 seconds before it would recognize the aux connector. Battery life looks to be better as well back an Dalvik, got about 30 hours before the low battery warning on my last charge with using the phone a lot. Other than that I haven't noticed too many other changes, some apps looked to open a touch faster on ART but without a second S5 to test with side by side its hard to say. It will be interesting to see what Samsung does with Android L as L is completely dropping Dalvik and only using ART.

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MateusMaciel View Post
I don't know if this is the right thread to ask but here I go:
So an hour ago I decided to try ART on my S5 (international Qualcomm variant/not rooted) and now i'm having problems with it. It took about 15 minutes to optimize 400+ applications and now everything stopped working. The first thing I noticed was that the TouchWiz launcher was crashing over and over again. Then I decided to open the settings via the notification bar on the lock screen so I could switch back to Dalvik, but it also didn't work. The application crashes every time I try to open it. So I rebooted the phone and it was still optimizing about 40 applications and nothing was working. The only thing that works is the lock screen, some report-bug app and the notification bar. And the phone is alerting me that the storage space is running out.
Can someone please help me? I'm desperate.
You can try getting to the menu to do a factory reset, otherwise you can try to reset it back to stock with Kies.

pretorean
Old
(Last edited by pretorean; 7th July 2014 at 03:06 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Default DALVIK>>ART switch

My SG5 heated up when I switched it to ART, anyone had the same behavior? Themer Crashes on the regular and a few apps do it as well. Any thoughs?

Phone: Galaxy S5 G900V/Stock/unrooted

amirsarv
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I switched to ART some time ago and the device is running much faster and smoother, programs open way faster! But I have huge battery drain! Android System is draining battery even more than the display, Anyone encountered such problem?

SM-G900H Baseband G900HXXU1ANCD