Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,580 Members 40,475 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Review] Galaxy Tab SM-T230NU (7.0)

Tip us?

404-Not Found
Old
(Last edited by 404-Not Found; 28th June 2014 at 10:12 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 116
Default [Review] Galaxy Tab SM-T230NU (7.0)

Hello,
I just wanted to stop by and give a review on the Tab 7.0 for those who are indescive about buying this specific tablet. So let's begin.

Gaming: An important factor since the 7.0 does not have the Snapdragon 400 and Adreno 305, instead packs a Marvell SoC and Vivante which is not so good for gaming. I tried a few games and this tablet runs great but not excellent. Here is a list of games I tried and my verdict:
•Asphalt 8: This game is great as long as you keep it in medium to ultra low settings. In medium there is a bit of lag every now and then but it does not interrupt gaming (At least I did not find it annoying). Keeping under low will make super smooth but quality won't be good. Going into High or higher will definitely make the game lag even in the menu.
•Prince of Persia: This game definetly runs great on this device there is a bit lag but happens rarely and barely noticeable.
•Collin McRae Rally: This game runs great but it not so smooth. Lag is noticeable but only happens every now and then when making turns and stuff. Also worth to mention loading screens are terribly slow taking up to 3 minutes for the race to load.
• Minecraft: I shouldn't even mention this game since it runs smoothly on almost every device including this one.
• Sonic CD: Like Minecraft, there is no lag since its a pixel based game.
•Deer Hunter 2014 v2: This is a graphic intensive game and manages to run smoothly on this device, lag may happen but its rarely ever noticeable.
• Topia: A modestly graphic intensive game but nevertheless runs excellent with no hiccups or lag whatsoever.
• Other: Games like Candy Crush, Uno, White Tavailableor other 2D games will work without any hiccups.

Gaming Rating: 7.5/10

GPS/Location: This is of worthy mention since I found the GPS not to work correctly most of the time and telling me location cannot be found. However going outside may sometimes improve detection. This however may vary to you.

GPS/Location Rating: 5/10

Animations: Animation is how good the device handles transition between apps and overall handling a basic 3D effects. To what I see Animations are definetly smooth even when pull down the notification bar from a Graphic intensive game. There is slight and rare lag when moving between apps but I noticed this only happens when having over 5+ apps open.

Animations Rating: 9.5/10

Multitasking: When having many apps open at the same time and using 2 at the same time using MultiWindow. Multitasking is great! No lag is seen when transitioning. MultiWindow is great and none of the apps seem to stutter. Like I mentioned, having 5+ apps open will cause very minor lag when transitioning. There might be lag when having a graphic intensive game running in the background.

Multitasking Rating: 8.5/10

Battery: This tablet packs a 4000 mAh battery that has amazing resitance and life. Multitasking and using only basic apps, I managed to go from 100% to 5% in 6 hours. While gaming only the battery life lasted 4 hours but may get even 3 depending on how intensive the game is.
Battery Rating: 8/10

Overall Tablet Rating: 7/10.
Overall Description: This is a rather smooth tablet ready to run any basic everyday tasks and even games, although it may not handle everything smoothly like its larger siblings. If you have the money and want a Galaxy Tab, I suggest going for the 8.0 or 10.1.

Things worth to mention:

OTG support is not available, most likely a hardware issue but may be solved by a firmware mod.

Storage is not great unless you get a 16GB variant since the 8GB model will only give you about 4GB of free space, keep in mind storage can be expanded by a microSDHC card.

Root is available by using the vRoot method for the 7.0 otherwise use TowelRoot.
See for more info on rooting:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=53020637

If you like this review please upvote otherwise please comment on anything you disagree or would like to add.

Juniorek81
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404-Not Found View Post

GPS/Location: This is of worthy mention since I found the GPS not to work correctly most of the time and telling me location cannot be found. However going outside may sometimes improve detection. This however may vary to you.

GPS/Location Rating: 5/10
Hello

As far as i know, GPS works only outdors....
If You have a 3G/LTE version with AGPS, then it can work indors....

So, no wonder that You couldn`t get a fix...
The Following User Says Thank You to Juniorek81 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

404-Not Found
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 116
Ran some some banchmarks. Worth to mention the 3D Mark Ice Storm test score was about 500~ points higher than the average Galaxy Tab 4 7.0.
Here they are:
3D Mark Ice Storm
Click image for larger version

Name:	1403988359087.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	2822788

Antutu X

Name:	1403988420764.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	2822795

Quadrant Standard

Name:	1403988472731.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	2822797

rezistrat
Old
Thanks Meter 23
I don't know what is wrong with my tab4 7 but my kids say mine craft glitches and I find candy crush is laggy. Would love a way to speed it up. FYI I tried setting it to ART and it bootlooped

Sent from my SM-T230NU using XDA Free mobile app

smknutson
Old
Thanks Meter 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezistrat View Post
I don't know what is wrong with my tab4 7 but my kids say mine craft glitches and I find candy crush is laggy. Would love a way to speed it up. FYI I tried setting it to ART and it bootlooped

I found that too. Be a good thing to advise everyone with a 7" NOT to enable ART runtime, you will bootloop. You can try to Greenify some background apps, install Adaway to reduce ad loading and bandwidth usage, and the Seeder app can have a slight effect on responsiveness.

Sent from my HTC One_M8
Samsung Galaxy S II i777
Samsung Galaxy S 4 i337
HTC One m8

404-Not Found
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezistrat View Post

I don't know thats weird really everyting runs smooth on my tab. I would advise your kids to close their apps when their done with them. Also if its rooted you may install Greenify to boost some performance. Also I don't know if this tab can be OC but I read that the PXA1088 can boosted to 1.3GHz, a 100 MHz boost from stock settings.

404-Not Found
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 116
FYI, PS3 controller is compatible via Bluetooth since we don't have OTG. Must have root though.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1404165511759.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	2826138  

soldier1184
Old
Thanks Meter 19

DONATE TO ME
Default ART

ok for people using ART DON"T UNLESS YOU ARE STOCK the hardware due to marvell SoC.2 ( system on chip ) pretty much the same as a AM1 ( FSb1 ) socketing system so it will not support ART if rooted so stop trying to use it it WILL NOT WORK it works on stock but TAKES FOREVER to run if you want to use ART reload the firmeware that's posted in this section and THEN ROOT only issue after is since it's ment for optimizing apps and space you delete apps it might crash so fare warning
1/184 INF AA 82nd Airborne Bravo Company

Current Device: ASUS Nexus v2 2013

Retired Devices:
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0
Samsung Galaxy Blaze
Samsung Galaxy S2