[ROM][AOSP][Nightly/Release] CarbonROM KitKat [jflte/i9500]

Search This thread

Zaileion

Nov 11, 2012
Settings - Security, Enable Widgets ... I had to google it too :laugh:

Once you have that enabled you can swipe right at the lockscreen, add cLock to the new lockscreen and then delete the old one :)

Sweet! That fixed it. I had to enable widgets under security (the one area I didn't check) and then in had to delete the current cLock widget and add a new cLock widget. Now its fixed! Awesome! Thanks everyone!

Reactions: Nimueh

Zaileion

Nov 11, 2012
Battery Theme

OK. So how do I apply a custom status bar battery theme? Not the few options in the settings I mean some 3rd party theme like a speedometer or similar. I tried xposed battery themer but it does nothing.

And one more question. Where is the option to change the dpi screen resolution?

Last edited:

docluv01

Nov 23, 2010
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Noob question....sorry guys.

I just got the gs4 NC5, and was able to get SS 3.72 and hyperdrive 17.1 installed (multiple steps).

As I understand it, it had to be installed on slot 1.

Is the same the case with Carbon? Or can it be installed in other slots?

FOr the install steps, I"m assuming just wipe, flash rom, flash gapps, and that it? or does some other module etc need to be put on too?

Thanks in advance!

arcane spade

Jun 5, 2012
Careful. Most AOSP Roms aren't safe strap compatible. I saw one in the Verizon s4 devilment that was but I think if your ss mostly have to stick with touchwiz based Roms.

Noob question....sorry guys.

I just got the gs4 NC5, and was able to get SS 3.72 and hyperdrive 17.1 installed (multiple steps).

As I understand it, it had to be installed on slot 1.

Is the same the case with Carbon? Or can it be installed in other slots?

FOr the install steps, I"m assuming just wipe, flash rom, flash gapps, and that it? or does some other module etc need to be put on too?

Thanks in advance!

nazfalas

Mar 23, 2010
For anyone yearning for another nightly - I successfully compiled my first nightly today:

THIS IS AN UNOFFICIAL NIGHTLY
DOWNLOAD AT YOUR OWN RISK

CARBON-KK-UNOFFICIAL-20140715-1601-jflte

I already tested and it's running without a hitch, but this is not affiliated with Team Carbon in any way so do not blame anything on them (or me, you've been warned :p ) if flashing this zip causes a thermonuclear crisis in your home country.
:D
hf

edit:
changed link to box.com

Last edited:

Nimueh

Recognized Contributor
May 19, 2012
OnePlus 3
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
For anyone yearning for another nightly - I successfully compiled my first nightly today:

THIS IS AN UNOFFICIAL NIGHTLY
DOWNLOAD AT YOUR OWN RISK

CARBON-KK-UNOFFICIAL-20140715-1601-jflte

I already tested and it's running without a hitch, but this is not affiliated with Team Carbon in any way so do not blame anything on them (or me, you've been warned :p ) if flashing this zip causes a thermonuclear crisis in your home country.
:D
hf

Thanks for your efforts, grabbing it now ... not sure I'll install it since my version from early July is working fine, but it'll be nice to have it just in case :)

Are there any major changes/edits to be aware of? I noticed there hasn't been an official nightly for a week, so I figured nothing changed for our S4 ;)

nazfalas

Mar 23, 2010
Thanks for your efforts, grabbing it now ... not sure I'll install it since my version from early July is working fine, but it'll be nice to have it just in case :)

Are there any major changes/edits to be aware of? I noticed there hasn't been an official nightly for a week, so I figured nothing changed for our S4 ;)

They switched to a different build schedule with only two nightlies per week due to power consumption of their build servers. Our device will get builds on Thursdays and Sundays from now on, but I guess the last two failed (I also had repo sync errors over the weekend and could not build). There's mainly small fixes, but quite a few of them.

Carbon Changelog
Carbon Gerrit

You can check on the changes there (if you did not already do that ;) ).
But as you can see nothing major has changed for our device in particular in a while:
https://review.carbonrom.org/#/q/status:merged+jflte,n,z

I am just a flash-o-holic :D that's why I built the nightly after nothing showed up on Thursday/Sunday.

Nimueh

Recognized Contributor
May 19, 2012
OnePlus 3
They switched to a different build schedule with only two nightlies per week due to power consumption of their build servers. Our device will get builds on Thursdays and Sundays from now on, but I guess the last two failed (I also had repo sync errors over the weekend and could not build). There's mainly small fixes, but quite a few of them.

Carbon Changelog
Carbon Gerrit

But as you can see nothing major has changed for our device in particular in a while:

I am just a flash-o-holic :D that's why I built the nightly after nothing showed up on Thursday/Sunday.

Yea I always check those changelogs, but especially the Gerrit one is usually a bit over my head :D

I'm not sure I'll flash anything this week, I'm going on a 1-week vacation to the UK next week and last thing I need before then is messing around with backups + flashing :laugh:

But thanks again, appreciate it :)

Reactions: nazfalas

arcane spade

Jun 5, 2012
Anybody have problems with incoming phone calls while using the phone? Every time I couldn't pull down the notification bar to answer so I just have to wait till it goes to voicemail and call back. I tired several nightlies and none worked. Everything else was great but not being able to answer calls half the time is a deal breaker.

Carbon Changelog
Carbon Gerrit

realizerecognize

Nov 19, 2012
Same here. That is the only glitch I have. Everything else that I use works fine

Sent from my SGH-M919 using XDA Free mobile app

NeoWave

Oct 3, 2005
great job on the rom. i love it all and i've been using it since i got my s4 (and my s3 before then).
But, i seem to have a lot of issue with the camera... i use snapchat and the camera (the google one on the market, should i avoid it?) a lot, and i always have to end rebooting my phone bacause the camera stop working. I get "can't connect to camera" on every app i want to take a picture with. Only fix is to reboot...

I also seem to have a lot of freezes (couple times day) with swiftkey, phone would freeze when the keyboard is supposed to popup and come back to life after 10sec. pretty frustrating when you are in a rush sometimes :(

I am sure the rom is fine, but the compatibilty with these apps seems kind of broken.

Does anyone noticed the same behaviors ?

i did a full wipe and flashed to last succeful build (7/7/14 i belive) no custom kernel

no bluetooth issue in my car at all like the previous posts (alpine hd149bt)

nazfalas

Mar 23, 2010
Does anyone noticed the same behaviors ?

i did a full wipe and flashed to last succeful build (7/7/14 i belive) no custom kernel

no bluetooth issue in my car at all like the previous posts (alpine hd149bt)

Which gapps did you flash? I would recommend PA gapps (using mini modular plus all the modules). Been using them since they came out and haven't had a problem.

I can confirm the Bluetooth issue, though.

Nimueh

Recognized Contributor
May 19, 2012
OnePlus 3
great job on the rom. i love it all and i've been using it since i got my s4 (and my s3 before then).
But, i seem to have a lot of issue with the camera... i use snapchat and the camera (the google one on the market, should i avoid it?) a lot, and i always have to end rebooting my phone bacause the camera stop working. I get "can't connect to camera" on every app i want to take a picture with. Only fix is to reboot...

I also seem to have a lot of freezes (couple times day) with swiftkey, phone would freeze when the keyboard is supposed to popup and come back to life after 10sec. pretty frustrating when you are in a rush sometimes :(

I use Swiftkey too and never had any issues like that, not even with the Blacked Out Android L keyboard either. As to the camera I'm quite happy with the one in the Rom, so I've never tried the other one. But the built-in one never caused problems like that either.

I'm not even on a clean install, have been dirty flashing nightlies for quite a while ;)

NeoWave

Oct 3, 2005
I find swiftkey a bit laggy in showing up but not these issues you're mentioning.. However I can say for sure it's a swiftkey problem because the same issue arises on the tablet with another room and totally different setup

Thank you guys for your responses. Sadly this camera issue is a real pain... I might try a GPE rom and see whats up. love carbon though. this pocket mode is AMAZING

sjsharksfan420

Dec 16, 2011
www.interwebsource.com

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [ROM][AOSP][Nightly/Release] CarbonROM KitKat [jflte/i9500]

About Carbon

CarbonRom is an aftermarket firmware based on the Android Open Source Project. We are dedicated to fast, stable, and feature-filled roms, honesty and communication with our users, and openness with our code. We like frequent builds, with the very latest and greatest hardware support and fixes. We strive to not only provide you with the best rom we can build, but also to give back to the Android community and our fellow developers. For us, this is about creating something we can be proud of and hope you will enjoy.

Please feel free to look at, build, and use our code on CarbonDev GitHub. and on our Gerrit CarbonDev Gerrit.

We would like to thank CyanogenMod for their device trees, framework/settings mods and their code that was incorporated into this project. We also extend our gratitude to the devs whose code that we have incorporated. Proper authorship has been maintained and can be viewed on our repository.

Special thanks also go to Slim Rom for some of their features, PA, AOKP, and anyone else we may have borrowed commits from that hasn't been mentioned here. If you feel you have been unfairly left out, please - let us know.

While we make every effort to test these builds as much as possible, we are not responsible for anything that may happen to your device, family, pets, or perception of reality. We ask that you do your part to know your device and know how to recover from problems before you flash! If you have questions, ask your fellow users or ask us in #teamcarbon on freenode IRC.

Features

All of our features can be found on our site here:

Carbon Features

Here are some screenshots:

Carbon Screenshots

Carbon Updates

Join us on these Social Media Channels to keep yourself up-to-date on all the latest Carbon news, updates, contests, and more! Join our completely open Google+ community for insider conversation with devs and other users.

Download Carbon

All Carbon downloads and further information such as features, changelog, and FAQ can be found on our website.

Carbon Downloads

Changelog

For a detailed changelog, check out the changes made each night here:

Carbon Changelog

Support

We spend an astonishing amount of time developing this software. We can't spend much time on XDA as a result, so if you need support, please try the following:

1) Search. Search, search, search. Yes, you. I don't care how unique or important your question is, it's very likely someone has adressed it already. Especially if you're even close to new at this.

2) Read our FAQ, which can be found on our website. Carbon FAQ

3) Ask a question in your device forum. Someone will no doubt try to help you. Warning: this help may come in the form of telling you it's a dumb question that has been asked before. See step 1 - such are the perils of asking questions when you haven't done the research yourself. Android is about helping yourself.

4) Ask a question on our IRC channel. Connect to #teamcarbon on irc.freenode.net or click here. You'll find several other Carbon fans and usually one or more devs as well. Please be polite.

Who is Team Carbon?

Find out here:

Carbon Team

Remember, every penny you send to us goes right back into the rom. It's used for hardware, server costs, etc - all the things that help us make Carbon better with every release. Your support means the world to us! If you've enjoyed Carbon, please consider a donation toward this goal. Thank you, and we hope you continue to enjoy Carbon!

XDA:DevDB Information
    [ROM][AOSP][Nightly/Release] CarbonROM KitKat [jflte/i9500], ROM for the Samsung Galaxy S 4

Contributors
    CarbonDev, NBruderman
    ROM OS Version: 4.4.x KitKat

Version Information

Created 2014-02-04
    Last Updated 2014-07-25
    Guys, this is now a unified thread to both variants of the Galaxy S4, both Exynos and Qualcomm.
    And so, hello, my name is Nir and I'm the maintainer of the S4 for CarbonRom.
    Personally, I own a I9500 device, so it will be easier for me to attend this device.
    However, If you have a problem with your jflte device, please add a log of the error, and I will do everything I can to assist with it!
    In case anyone isn't aware, since 8/24 Carbon has been including the ability to do call recording.

Not the old fashioned crappy way where you had to turn on the speaker and it used the mic during the call to pic up the audio. This way is true in line call recording that picks up both side of the audio at the kernel level and routes them to an audio file on your SD card.

Here is how to activate it....

• First open the stock dialer. (This only works on the stock dialer)
    • Then go to settings.
    • Towards the bottom of the list you will see an option for ALLOW CALL RECORDING
    • Check it

Now you will have a little record button on the right side of the menu bar at the bottom of the dialer when a call connect. You know...the bar with the speaker button, the mute button, etc....(Note, a call must be connected for the button to appear. You can't see it just by opening the dialer)

Right now it'll just record your voice. It won't pick up the other side of the conversation.

So you'll need to enable that.

You can do this by opening a Terminal Emulator window and typing the following command.

• SU (this will enable superuser rights for terminal. You should see a # next to the prompt now)
    • Then type setprop persist.call_recording.src 4 (Credit to smeroni68 for the code. And Bejda for showing how to make it survive a ROM update by putting it as a persist file. Click on their names and give them a thanks. They earned it.)
    • Now
      make another call (you can test it by calling your voicemail) and touch the record button on the dialer.

Boom. You are now recording your calls.

This creates a PERSIST file in the directory data/property which should survive nightly ROM updates. So that's cool.

The audio files are stored in the internal SD card in a directory called CALL RECORDING (Real tricky to find.... ;) ) They are approximately 1kb per second. So they are tiny files that won't use up all your storage space.

There is probably a way to get it to automatically record all calls. But I haven't figured that out yet. I'm working on it. Right now it's handy as an "As needed" feature.

Check your local laws. This is illegal in some places without consent. Don't use it in ways that aren't legal in your...blah blah blah if you get sued or arrested for doing it improperly it's your problem.
    IT will be avalible de classic carbon FULL BLACK background ?!?

I didnt find all options in this realease...
    thanks... its running smooth here ! :good:

Some features still work in progress, stay tuned all features will be added soon.
    Good evening, there are already news? When it goes on or when the server is ready for use again? Nice greetings

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

DL server back up http://carbon-rom.com/downloads/?device=jfltexx&type=nightly