Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,151 Members 49,283 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] URGENT - Noob question about sygic, rooting and the kit Kat update?

Tip us?

Cchipscookies
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] URGENT - Noob question about sygic, rooting and the kit Kat update?

Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread. This morning I updated to kit Kat and now I just opened sygic. It says sd card access denied. So I searched it up and it turns out that I need to root my phone to change some settings as kit Kat prevents writing to the SD card I think. Is there a way without rooting my phone?

Even if need to root my phone, does rooting void my warranty? And can I get future updates via Ota /Sony pc companion?

This is really urgent because I need to use sygic over the weekend. (Stupid mobilicity doesn't have coverage in Waterloo!)

Thank you!

coolrevi
Old
Thanks Meter 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cchipscookies View Post
Hi all,

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread. This morning I updated to kit Kat and now I just opened sygic. It says sd card access denied. So I searched it up and it turns out that I need to root my phone to change some settings as kit Kat prevents writing to the SD card I think. Is there a way without rooting my phone?

Even if need to root my phone, does rooting void my warranty? And can I get future updates via Ota /Sony pc companion?

This is really urgent because I need to use sygic over the weekend. (Stupid mobilicity doesn't have coverage in Waterloo!)

Thank you!
Rooting might Void your warranty also depends upon the method you use to root. yes you can get future updates as long as you are in stock rom OTA or PCC.

sarobi
Old
Thanks Meter 15
I see only two possibilities: root or install sygic to internal storage. There is might also third possibility for you, it works with iGo navigation, put sygic to internal storage and maps to SD card.

Cchipscookies
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for the replies.

If I install sygic to my phone's storage, it doesn't need root right? And my phone is running out of space. Any recommendations for a app to sd app?

Thanks!

ikentoy
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cchipscookies View Post
Thanks for the replies.

If I install sygic to my phone's storage, it doesn't need root right? And my phone is running out of space. Any recommendations for a app to sd app?

Thanks!
Look for sdfix on play store that should help you restore writing privileges. 😀

Sent from my C6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Maine_Coon
Old
Thanks Meter 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikentoy View Post
Look for sdfix on play store that should help you restore writing privileges. ��

Sent from my C6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
sdfix works only on the rooted dvices.

why did those idiots from google do this?