OP mruizco

9th January 2014, 10:45 PM   |  #21  
Charlotte, NC
Thanks Meter: 1

29 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvzxa3

Sad this happened because I really liked the S4. All my HTC phones are unlocked, S-Off and the whole nine. I had this phone for only 4 days and besides it's beauty, it was a disheartening experience. I think this trumps the Optimus L9's experience of a locked bootloader. Even the Optimus G Pro's bootloader can be unlocked using an app.

I think Sammy wants to be Apple in regards to how Apple has a user experience of being locked. Also with the fake S3s/S4s/Note out there they probably do not want their software cloned.

I will say in the 4 days I had it it prompted me to start a business. I learned how to root and unlock the phone just by switching modems and running regionlockaway.

I think the culprit for the locked bootloader is att not sammy.. i remember reading about it once, not so sure but it had something to do with some encryption done by att for the MF3 update..
9th January 2014, 11:49 PM   |  #22  
Flag Fort Worth
Thanks Meter: 708

1,525 posts
Donate to Me
More
MDL never had an unlocked bootloader

Sent from my SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
10th January 2014, 01:41 AM   |  #23  
Thanks Meter: 650

1,305 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvzxa3

Sad this happened because I really liked the S4. All my HTC phones are unlocked, S-Off and the whole nine. I had this phone for only 4 days and besides it's beauty, it was a disheartening experience. I think this trumps the Optimus L9's experience of a locked bootloader. Even the Optimus G Pro's bootloader can be unlocked using an app.

I think Sammy wants to be Apple in regards to how Apple has a user experience of being locked. Also with the fake S3s/S4s/Note out there they probably do not want their software cloned.

I will say in the 4 days I had it it prompted me to start a business. I learned how to root and unlock the phone just by switching modems and running regionlockaway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnuckwade

I think the culprit for the locked bootloader is att not sammy.. i remember reading about it once, not so sure but it had something to do with some encryption done by att for the MF3 update..

Samsung is fine with unlocked bootloaders. Carriers request the locks, and ours has never been unlocked. They probably made Samsung to patch loki in a sense, as keeping the bootloader locked and unexploitable was probably in the deal at&t made to get the S4 and Samsung is simply protecting their interests.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app
10th January 2014, 05:04 PM   |  #24  
Recognized Contributor
Flag RSM
Thanks Meter: 2,606

2,978 posts
Donate to Me
More
Edit disregard
10th January 2014, 11:15 PM   |  #25  
Flag Vernon
Thanks Meter: 387

1,790 posts
More
I think at&t guys will just have to be patient and wait it out, eventually somebody will figure out how to unlock the bootloader I remember back when I had an xperia x10 and that thing was locked down tight and like a year later a way was figured out.
13th January 2014, 10:09 PM   |  #26  
Flag West Milwaukee
Thanks Meter: 721

2,589 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernEvo

No they will not unlock the S4 bootloader before during or after the release of the S5 . The S4 is locked now , I had to get a warranty replacement which came with the new software . To be brutally honest I dont even want the damn phone anymore because of the locked software . Knox trips out and sends me notifications regularly . Of course I cant disable it or even remove it . Personally I think they really borked this phone to hell and back.

I will never buy an ATT phone again - I buy TMOBILE and then run it on the ATT NETWORK.
14th January 2014, 02:59 AM   |  #27  
Thanks Meter: 650

1,305 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsupnow

I think at&t guys will just have to be patient and wait it out, eventually somebody will figure out how to unlock the bootloader I remember back when I had an xperia x10 and that thing was locked down tight and like a year later a way was figured out.

But then there's also examples like the Droid Bionic, locked down pretty hard. There's no conclusive evidence on whether or not it will be unlocked, but between people working on it and tracking progress in the verizon forums and Hashcode working on Safestrap and getting us kexec, we'll get our freedom somehow.
14th January 2014, 10:24 PM   |  #28  
Flag West Milwaukee
Thanks Meter: 721

2,589 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebegue

Does that work? Do you still get 4glte? I guess you have to sim unlock and then change your apn? This might be a good idea for my next device

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I get great LTE Speeds - I just have to manually enter my APNS when I flash a new rom - (unless I flash an ATT ROM of course.)

Lots of people are buying tmobile roms that are on ATT - I expect more will do that if and when the S5 comes out
The Following User Says Thank You to mocsab For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th July 2014, 12:37 AM   |  #29  
Flag Weschester
Thanks Meter: 26

88 posts
More
Question Can At&t unlock you bootloader?
First is "unlocking your device" the same as unlocking your bootloader? Also if you are done paying off your device will at&t unlock your bootloader for you?
16th July 2014, 04:35 AM   |  #30  
Recognized Contributor
Minnetonka, MN
Thanks Meter: 3,896

11,181 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by omino323

First is "unlocking your device" the same as unlocking your bootloader? Also if you are done paying off your device will at&t unlock your bootloader for you?

Sim unlocking is different than unlocking the bootloader. And, no, paying off your device will not get you the opportunity to unlock the bootloader

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread