Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,395 Members 46,574 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Bootloader unlock app in android market

Tip us?
 
arnuckwade
Old
#21  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 29
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvzxa3 View Post
Sad this happened because I really liked the S4. All my HTC phones are unlocked, S-Off and the whole nine. I had this phone for only 4 days and besides it's beauty, it was a disheartening experience. I think this trumps the Optimus L9's experience of a locked bootloader. Even the Optimus G Pro's bootloader can be unlocked using an app.

I think Sammy wants to be Apple in regards to how Apple has a user experience of being locked. Also with the fake S3s/S4s/Note out there they probably do not want their software cloned.

I will say in the 4 days I had it it prompted me to start a business. I learned how to root and unlock the phone just by switching modems and running regionlockaway.
I think the culprit for the locked bootloader is att not sammy.. i remember reading about it once, not so sure but it had something to do with some encryption done by att for the MF3 update..
 
hednik
Old
#22  
hednik's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 708
Posts: 1,525
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Fort Worth

 
DONATE TO ME
MDL never had an unlocked bootloader

Sent from my SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Click thanks if you think I helped you.



Samsung Captivate - CM 11
AT&T Galaxy SII - SHOstock
AT&T Galaxy SII Skyrocket - DEAD
AT&T Galaxy S4 - Beanstalk 4.4 - MDL
MOTO G - Stock




COOK/HACK of BLiNDrom and T-motion RoM
 
DeadlySin9
Old
#23  
DeadlySin9's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 620
Posts: 1,240
Join Date: Sep 2012

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by bvzxa3 View Post
Sad this happened because I really liked the S4. All my HTC phones are unlocked, S-Off and the whole nine. I had this phone for only 4 days and besides it's beauty, it was a disheartening experience. I think this trumps the Optimus L9's experience of a locked bootloader. Even the Optimus G Pro's bootloader can be unlocked using an app.

I think Sammy wants to be Apple in regards to how Apple has a user experience of being locked. Also with the fake S3s/S4s/Note out there they probably do not want their software cloned.

I will say in the 4 days I had it it prompted me to start a business. I learned how to root and unlock the phone just by switching modems and running regionlockaway.






Quote:
Originally Posted by arnuckwade View Post
I think the culprit for the locked bootloader is att not sammy.. i remember reading about it once, not so sure but it had something to do with some encryption done by att for the MF3 update..
Samsung is fine with unlocked bootloaders. Carriers request the locks, and ours has never been unlocked. They probably made Samsung to patch loki in a sense, as keeping the bootloader locked and unexploitable was probably in the deal at&t made to get the S4 and Samsung is simply protecting their interests.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app
Current Device: ATT Samsung Galaxy S4 (i337)

Past Devices:
Droid Bionic (GSM Hacked)
HTC Inspire 4G (Desire HD)
Nexus One
Motorola Backflip
HTC Dev Phone 1 (Dream/G1)
 
mg2195
Old
#24  
mg2195's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2604
Posts: 2,974
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: RSM

 
DONATE TO ME
Edit disregard
Wanna learn to develop/mod/do cool things? Check out this forum here on xda...its a great starting place full of helpful people! (its where i learned to compile from source :P)
Chef Central > Android
 
thatsupnow
Old
#25  
thatsupnow's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 352
Posts: 1,673
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vernon
I think at&t guys will just have to be patient and wait it out, eventually somebody will figure out how to unlock the bootloader I remember back when I had an xperia x10 and that thing was locked down tight and like a year later a way was figured out.
Samsung Galaxy s5 - Bobcat ROM 1.0
KT kernel 2.7 GHZ


Other phones:

Samsung Galaxy S4 I337M
Samsung Galaxy S3 I747M
Sony Play, Arc, X10
 
mocsab
Old
#26  
mocsab's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 612
Posts: 2,288
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Milwaukee
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernEvo View Post
No they will not unlock the S4 bootloader before during or after the release of the S5 . The S4 is locked now , I had to get a warranty replacement which came with the new software . To be brutally honest I dont even want the damn phone anymore because of the locked software . Knox trips out and sends me notifications regularly . Of course I cant disable it or even remove it . Personally I think they really borked this phone to hell and back.
I will never buy an ATT phone again - I buy TMOBILE and then run it on the ATT NETWORK.
My Phone Galaxy S5 G900T
My Rom: | Alliance 4.1 | CyanogenMod 11.0 | Android 4.4.4 KitKat (KLTE - UNIFIED)
My Recovery: TWRP
Kernel: KT-SGS5 - with KTWEAKER
My Carrier - ATT




Former Devices: ☆Galaxy Note 3☆HTC ONE☆Galaxy S IV☆Galaxy Note II☆Galaxy S3☆EVO 4g LTE☆Nexus☆Epic 4G☆Treo(W)☆Palm Treo☆(P)
 
DeadlySin9
Old
#27  
DeadlySin9's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 620
Posts: 1,240
Join Date: Sep 2012

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsupnow View Post
I think at&t guys will just have to be patient and wait it out, eventually somebody will figure out how to unlock the bootloader I remember back when I had an xperia x10 and that thing was locked down tight and like a year later a way was figured out.
But then there's also examples like the Droid Bionic, locked down pretty hard. There's no conclusive evidence on whether or not it will be unlocked, but between people working on it and tracking progress in the verizon forums and Hashcode working on Safestrap and getting us kexec, we'll get our freedom somehow.
Current Device: ATT Samsung Galaxy S4 (i337)

Past Devices:
Droid Bionic (GSM Hacked)
HTC Inspire 4G (Desire HD)
Nexus One
Motorola Backflip
HTC Dev Phone 1 (Dream/G1)
 
mocsab
Old
#28  
mocsab's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 612
Posts: 2,288
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West Milwaukee
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebegue View Post
Does that work? Do you still get 4glte? I guess you have to sim unlock and then change your apn? This might be a good idea for my next device

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I get great LTE Speeds - I just have to manually enter my APNS when I flash a new rom - (unless I flash an ATT ROM of course.)

Lots of people are buying tmobile roms that are on ATT - I expect more will do that if and when the S5 comes out
My Phone Galaxy S5 G900T
My Rom: | Alliance 4.1 | CyanogenMod 11.0 | Android 4.4.4 KitKat (KLTE - UNIFIED)
My Recovery: TWRP
Kernel: KT-SGS5 - with KTWEAKER
My Carrier - ATT




Former Devices: ☆Galaxy Note 3☆HTC ONE☆Galaxy S IV☆Galaxy Note II☆Galaxy S3☆EVO 4g LTE☆Nexus☆Epic 4G☆Treo(W)☆Palm Treo☆(P)
The Following User Says Thank You to mocsab For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
omino323
Old
#29  
omino323's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 20
Posts: 68
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: peekskill
Question Can At&t unlock you bootloader?

First is "unlocking your device" the same as unlocking your bootloader? Also if you are done paying off your device will at&t unlock your bootloader for you?
Primary Gadget-Oneplus One rooted-TWRP Recovery running CM11s(stock) with Franco Kernel

Secondary Gadget-AT&T Galaxy S4 rooted running SS 3.72 recovery and HyperDrive 17.1
 
jd1639
Old
#30  
jd1639's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3175
Posts: 9,384
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Minnetonka, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by omino323 View Post
First is "unlocking your device" the same as unlocking your bootloader? Also if you are done paying off your device will at&t unlock your bootloader for you?
Sim unlocking is different than unlocking the bootloader. And, no, paying off your device will not get you the opportunity to unlock the bootloader

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes