Firstly, antenna not so good.
Secondly, while long using GPS fix can permanently lost until you off an on GPS.
So using GPS for long time just impossible: recording track can stop and you will not notice that.
Also tracks quality are bad. Here example:
Red – phone in default non-modified state
Green – all fixes applied
Dual version affected too.
Confirmations: 1, 2, 3, 4 and a lot posts from disappointed users on other forums.
Here is complex solutions that really helps me.
But workarounds must be applied ALL to give you acceptable result.
For now most recorded tracks smooth and correct even in cloudy weather.
Please, share your results in thread.
UPD: here said, that will be enough only perform this:
1. Settings > About phone > tap 7 time on Build number
2. Settings > Developer options > tick Mock locations
1. Disable network location
When it's on and GPS in use phone collecting information about Wi-Fi and mobile base-stations around you and sends to Google for better positioning in future.
Somehow this in correlation with our problem: track goes ragged, sometimes you "teleporting" into different location.
This was confirmed in my test a lot times.
And what advantage in this if we already have precise coordinates from GPS?
So disable it:
For stock: Settings > Location services > untick Google's location service
For CyanogenMod and other 4.4: Settings > Location > Mode > select Device Only
2. Software workaround
We just need to automatically regularly off and on GPS.
So bug with constantly lost fix just does not have time to appear – we preventively "rebooting" GPS. It's really helps.
Such shutdown doesn't causing gaps on track: last points just connecting. And then location determined instantly.
Surely you need to disable notification "GPS signal lost" in your track-recording / navigation app because it will be appears every 3 minutes.
Thanks to Tasker and App Factory I created standalone project as a separate application
It doesn't requires Tasker itself and haven't any settings: app just working in background.
To control GPS state needed Root and free plugin Secure Settings (XDA)
Task configured to launch if GPS was manually on. When GPS off by you task stops.
Don't left it "on" if not use – task may affect battery!
Specially for that, who enables GPS only when need it.
Below provided same profile for Tasker, so you can optimize it for your requirements, e.g. starting by shortcut or other conditions.
How task works
1. Wait 2 minutes for sure good first fixing satellites
–– If after this time GPS still on – goto p.2
–– If GPS was off – task ends. Protection from accidental starting cycle
2. Disables GPS
3. Wait 5 seconds
4. Enabling GPS
5. Wait 3 minutes
–– If for this time GPS don't disabled manually – goto p.2
–– If GPS was disabled manually – task ends to next enabling
1. Install from Google Play plugin Secure Settings
2. Launch it. On third tab System+ press button Disabled
3. Press OK and allow root permissions
4. Download and install this app: Fix GPS (you need installed gapps!)
5. Launch it. Nothing will happen, but the program is activated
6. Now the application will autorun in background when phone boots
– If you want to disable app delete or freeze it
– App creates persistent service that don't affects battery if GPS off. Takes up 10-14 MB RAM
– Don't forget to add Fix GPS app into white-list of your task-killer and Stamina
– You can hide installed apps from launcher, no longer needed to interact with them
And here Tasker profile if someone want to edit states for task activation for own needs.
Or you can create shortcut at homescreen to control fix manually. There's a lot of variants.
1. Download archive and extract XML file from it
2. Put file in /storage/sdcard0/Tasker/profiles/ (internal memory/Tasker/profiles)
3. Launch Tasker, tap on Tasks tab > Import > Fix_GPS.prf.xml
3. Simple hardware addition to increase sensitivity of GPS receiver
Sensitivity of receiving a signal from the satellites we have lower than it could be
It seems cause is antenna: it small, located under the sticker in the corner of the camera.
In identical conditions SNR (signal-noise ratio) from satellites in Sony 20-30, in LG P500 – 30-40
This also causes regular deterioration of accuracy and artifacts on track.
So basing on this thread I created similar primitive "additional antenna".
This is anti-technical, but really helps a bit.
Result: additional 2-7 SNR points
Check this yourself with and without modified back cover using GPS Test app.
1. Cut strip of cooper foil with width approx. 4 mm. Internet says that aluminum foil gives worst results
2. Attach it using adhesive tape inside cover at camera hole as on photo below
3. Length - as you wish. Pieces can be connected lapped by making small incisions
4. Change settings for recording tracks
If your beloved app allow to change recording settings edit them similar as below.
This is make tracks more smooth and steady.
Here is for MyTracks
– Recording time interval: 2 s
– Recording distance interval: 20 m
– Max distance: 200 m
– GPS accuracy: 30 m