Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,299 Members 48,727 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] SCH-i605 (Note 2) 4.4.2 update and still root?

Tip us?

draxxis
Old
Thanks Meter 0
If I wanted to be tied down like this, I would of bought an iPhone.

All I want is like most of us want:
The ability to use ANY of our apps ANY to be able to save to the SD card.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Free mobile app

xdastragis
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default poke

any update? I'm in Thailand right now and would love to be able to use the 3g here.... but phone is locked down can only use voice and text

Android_Fr3ak
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdastragis View Post
any update? I'm in Thailand right now and would love to be able to use the 3g here.... but phone is locked down can only use voice and text
No. And don't hold your breath. Probably not going to happen.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Free mobile app

mkobella
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default No Root... Ever

So I have spent countless hours searching, and come up with nothing. Anyone else have an update?

On a side note. Anyone know of a good phone to replace this with? Is the Note 3 rootable? What sucks is even if I get a new phone I can't root it and back up my crap. Anyways. I love the Galaxy line, just not having root is really ticking me off. And I hate how if you call in with a problem or something they ask you to do a factory reset. Well that's all good and well if you don't care about losing everything, but if I can't have root I'm not about to do that. I really want to switch carriers at this point as it's frustrating.

Anyone have any good suggestions on phones!?

mattdiehl83
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Thumbs up Dude..For Real??!!

So i smashed my note 2 (sch-i605) was fairly peed off atfirst. Then a thought occured (which is a miracle in my head) that now ill get a replacement device that will not have 4.4 on it.....YAYYYYY right? NOPE!! I get the device with 4.3....ok i figure i can work with that. Nah not at all. I tried geohot's awsome towelroot-no luck which is a shocker since the device should be supported..then tried every verison of framaroot-again NOPE. Even tried kingo. Now im still rather new to all this. I rooted my wifes att s3 and enjoy that. I rooted my vzw lg g pad 8.3 and like that. But with the g pad i cant do any custom roms which kinda sux. But i want MY phone rooted. Plz...why is nothing working with this phone?? Any idea why its not working when my device should be supported. Any help is always appreciated and teaches me more on this topic. Thankyou in advance.my kernel is april 10th 2014 btw on a VZW Galaxy note 2 (sch-i605) running android 4.3.

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkobella View Post
So I have spent countless hours searching, and come up with nothing. Anyone else have an update?

On a side note. Anyone know of a good phone to replace this with? Is the Note 3 rootable? What sucks is even if I get a new phone I can't root it and back up my crap. Anyways. I love the Galaxy line, just not having root is really ticking me off. And I hate how if you call in with a problem or something they ask you to do a factory reset. Well that's all good and well if you don't care about losing everything, but if I can't have root I'm not about to do that. I really want to switch carriers at this point as it's frustrating. And as for the note

Anyone have any good suggestions on phones!?
I would say a nexus device of any sort. From what i hear they seem to be the best to modify. I dont know if thats correct but from what ive seen doing research seems a good choice. Im hooked on the galaxy line tho and i figure with patience these AMAZING men and women on xda will always find a solution to all of our android woes. And as for the note 3...Id assume that if the 2 on 4.4 cant be cracked i dont see the 3 being able to be. Atleast with verizon id say. Seems verizon is the devil to Devs. Anyway happy picking friend. Hit the thanx if i helped if you dont mind
The Following User Says Thank You to mattdiehl83 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BluGuy
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdiehl83 View Post
So i smashed my note 2 (sch-i605) was fairly peed off atfirst. Then a thought occured (which is a miracle in my head) that now ill get a replacement device that will not have 4.4 on it.....YAYYYYY right? NOPE!! I get the device with 4.3....ok i figure i can work with that. Nah not at all. I tried geohot's awsome towelroot-no luck which is a shocker since the device should be supported..then tried every verison of framaroot-again NOPE. Even tried kingo. Now im still rather new to all this. I rooted my wifes att s3 and enjoy that. I rooted my vzw lg g pad 8.3 and like that. But with the g pad i cant do any custom roms which kinda sux. But i want MY phone rooted. Plz...why is nothing working with this phone?? Any idea why its not working when my device should be supported. Any help is always appreciated and teaches me more on this topic. Thankyou in advance.my kernel is april 10th 2014 btw on a VZW Galaxy note 2 (sch-i605) running android 4.3.

---------- Post added at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:16 PM ----------

I would say a nexus device of any sort. From what i hear they seem to be the best to modify. I dont know if thats correct but from what ive seen doing research seems a good choice. Im hooked on the galaxy line tho and i figure with patience these AMAZING men and women on xda will always find a solution to all of our android woes. And as for the note 3...Id assume that if the 2 on 4.4 cant be cracked i dont see the 3 being able to be. Atleast with verizon id say. Seems verizon is the devil to Devs. Anyway happy picking friend. Hit the thanx if i helped if you dont mind
There were 2 releases of 4.3 for the sch-i605. MJ9 and ND3. MJ9 is rootable and ND3 isn't. I believe you can use Odin to go back to MJ9 if you are on ND3. Then you can root. However if you accept the 4.4.2 update you can't flash back to 4.3.

Also towelroot won't work because our phone uses a Samsung cpu which the exploit isn't present in the kernel for it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BluGuy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mattdiehl83
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Humph :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluGuy View Post
There were 2 releases of 4.3 for the sch-i605. MJ9 and ND3. MJ9 is rootable and ND3 isn't. I believe you can use Odin to go back to MJ9 if you are on ND3. Then you can root. However if you accept the 4.4.2 update you can't flash back to 4.3.

Also towelroot won't work because our phone uses a Samsung cpu which the exploit isn't present in the kernel for it.

Ok so i do infact have the ND3. Is there ANY quick root method for this device? And if so would u be able to link it. And if not at all perhaps you could send me the right direction to flash to the other build you mentioned?

BluGuy
Old
(Last edited by BluGuy; 16th July 2014 at 09:21 PM.)
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Ok so i do infact have the ND3. Is there ANY quick root method for this device? And if so would u be able to link it. And if not at all perhaps you could send me the right direction to flash to the other build you mentioned?
There isn't a root method for ND3.

The following thread has the Guide in the first post. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2024207

You will want the return to stock section. Remember you can only downgrade to MJ9.

The Following User Says Thank You to BluGuy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mattdiehl83
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluGuy View Post
There isn't a root method for ND3.

The following thread has the Guide in the first post. http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2024207

You will want the return to stock section. Remember you can only downgrade to MJ9.

Ok thank you so much. Now when i do this is there anything i need to know thats important? And is it a fairly straight forward process? Or do i run risks of ruining my device? Lastly....once successful downgrading then i can use framaroot?
So sorry for all the questiins but id rather ask now rather then flooding this thread. Again thankyou very much for your guidance.

BluGuy
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Ok thank you so much. Now when i do this is there anything i need to know thats important? And is it a fairly straight forward process? Or do i run risks of ruining my device? Lastly....once successful downgrading then i can use framaroot?
So sorry for all the questiins but id rather ask now rather then flooding this thread. Again thankyou very much for your guidance.
Just follow the Guide.

As for root I have read saferoot works.

The Following User Says Thank You to BluGuy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]