Exchange Mail App alternative?

Search This thread

crazyagg

Oct 20, 2011
Dallas
All,

The default LG G3 Mail app is kinda meh....I hate the fact it does not allow me to view 'ALL EMAILS' under one, instead I have to manually toggle through my sub folders. I came from HTC One M7 and their mail app was the best I've used.
Can anyone recommend me other alternative that is not Touchdown? I hate the old looking UI of Touchdown.
I'm trying Nine Mail App now...so far so good? Any others?

Thanks!

I just posted this thread, it's for the stock Android 4.4.2 email app WITH the Exchange Security bypass.

http://xdaforums.com/lg-g3/themes-apps/mod-exchange-security-bypass-4-4-2-t2818469/post54198593

sshark

Sep 17, 2008
I am using stock email/calendar app that came with my LG G2 and I am extremely impressed. LG has put all necessary features in the stock email app that one would need to handle email away from desk. For example, threading/directory search for names/folder support/rich text/attachments/urgency markers for emails.

While for calendar, you can actually look at availability for attendees , propose new time, remove/reject meeting requests with comments, set out of office responder ... This is just awesome. Having come from Atrix HD, Nexus 4, Windows Phone, HTC Evo/Evo 3D...., this has been a pleasant surprise.

Having said that, couple of things -

Mailwise has threaded support and developer is quite responsive. I would give that a shot.

For Outlook365 configuration, try server name as outlook.office365.com . This server is very responsive.

Reactions: GroovyGeek

GroovyGeek

Oct 11, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I just posted this thread, it's for the stock Android 4.4.2 email app WITH the Exchange Security bypass.
This app some some significant downsides relative to the stock LGE app, most notably it usually fails miserably to auto-configure Exchange accounts, while the LGE app tends to do it with flying colors. But if you know EXACTLY the settings you need and are prepared to enter them manually then you should be OK. It also does not thread.

I am using stock email/calendar app that came with my LG G2 and I am extremely impressed. LG has put all necessary features in the stock email app that one would need to handle email away from desk. For example, threading/directory search for names/folder support/rich text/attachments/urgency markers for emails.

WAIT, THE G2 EMAIL APP THREADS?!?! Because the G3 does not. Can you post the G2 .apk and .odex? I want to give them a try.

GroovyGeek

Oct 11, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
What you need to make Exchange works with the original Google Android 4.4.4 E-mail app are these :

Google E-mail APK

Google Exchange Services APK

It works well with LG Calendar and Contacts app.

Hope it helped

Both these suffer from the "dumbness" I pointed out earlier - they often fail miserably to auto-configure Exchange accounts and require precise knowledge of the format needed to enter things. Some people have needed to enter their email address as company\username, others as username@company.com, other as as company\username@company.com. Yet others have had to worry about the type of certificate to specify - SSL, SSL (accept all certificates), or something else. Finally, you need to know the exact URL of the company mail server - company.com, mail.company.com, webmail.company.com, etc, etc. All this has resulted in (unjustified) accusations that Google has broken Exchange in Kitkat and is refusing to fix it

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/pvfZKsrSURk
http://windowsitpro.com/blog/kitkat-causes-activesync-headaches-android-users
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...oid-4-4-users-no-single-cause-yet-determined/

While the Google stock apks continue to suffer from this dubmness, all of the Samsung, HTC, LG, Moto, etc stock apks deal with it beautifully - you enter your email address and passwords, and they sort it out with the server automatically. The most aggravating thing about the situation is that this has persisted though three minor updates of 4.4, yet the similar apps in 4.3 and 4.2 worked flawlessly. Last but not least, Google took a huge step back when they took conversation threading out of the apk in 4.4, I believe it was there in 4.3/

Last edited:

danw84

Jan 5, 2013
Both these suffer from the "dumbness" I pointed out earlier - they often fail miserably to auto-configure Exchange accounts and require precise knowledge of the format needed to enter things. Some people have needed to enter their email address as company\username, others as username@company.com, other as as company\username@company.com. Yet others have had to worry about the type of certificate to specify - SSL, SSL (accept all certificates), or something else. Finally, you need to know the exact URL of the company mail server - company.com, mail.company.com, webmail.company.com, etc, etc. All this has resulted in (unjustified) accusations that Google has broken Exchange in Kitkat and is refusing to fix it

https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/nexus/pvfZKsrSURk
http://windowsitpro.com/blog/kitkat-causes-activesync-headaches-android-users
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...oid-4-4-users-no-single-cause-yet-determined/

While the Google stock apks continue to suffer from this dubmness, all of the Samsung, HTC, LG, Moto, etc stock apks deal with it beautifully - you enter your email address and passwords, and they sort it out with the server automatically. The most aggravating thing about the situation is that this has persisted though three minor updates of 4.4, yet the similar apps in 4.3 and 4.2 worked flawlessly. Last but not least, Google took a huge step back when they took conversation threading out of the apk in 4.4, I believe it was there in 4.3/

You probably right, I can't tell since I know the exact settings of my Exchange server.

A solution for the people who don't know these parameters would be to configure their Exchange account on another phone who has this option, and then go check the settings in the account to use them in the original Android app.

sshark

Sep 17, 2008
This app some some significant downsides relative to the stock LGE app, most notably it usually fails miserably to auto-configure Exchange accounts, while the LGE app tends to do it with flying colors. But if you know EXACTLY the settings you need and are prepared to enter them manually then you should be OK. It also does not thread.

WAIT, THE G2 EMAIL APP THREADS?!?! Because the G3 does not. Can you post the G2 .apk and .odex? I want to give them a try.

I am attaching screenshots from my device. Also, I couldn't get APK/ODEX from my device but got these from Verizon G2 stock rooted ROM.

All files go under /system/priv-app/.

Report back to us if this worked and/or if you like it.

Attachments

• 2014-07-17-22-59-28.jpg
    2014-07-17-22-59-28.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 257
  • 2014-07-17-23-00-21.png
    2014-07-17-23-00-21.png
    200.2 KB · Views: 236
  • 2014-07-17-23-00-35.jpg
    2014-07-17-23-00-35.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 228
Reactions: GroovyGeek

GroovyGeek

Oct 11, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I am attaching screenshots from my device. Also, I couldn't get APK/ODEX from my device but got these from Verizon G2 stock rooted ROM.

Unfortunately these don't install on the G3. Putting them in priv-app with rwrr permissions does not trigger an auto install as it should, and attempts to manually install fail. If the odex file is present the installer does not even launch, if you delete the odex the installer launches but does not complete successfully.

GroovyGeek

Oct 11, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
With odex removed did you try to clear app data and reboot after?
One you uninstall the G3 stock app there is nothing to clear (through the UI) and the G2 app never installs so again there is nothing to clear. It is possible that the G3 app leaves traces in the file structure and it is necessary to delete some folders to get the G2 app to work, but I don't know what to delete and would rather not screw up my phone trying to find out

fastguy

Feb 22, 2006

Hi I don't think this lgemail app would work without its LG exchange app. Could you also post it? It shall be in /system/app

sshark

Sep 17, 2008
Hi I don't think this lgemail app would work without its LG exchange app. Could you also post it? It shall be in /system/app

That was my first instinct too, and I searched before uploading. There is no file with names exchange or exchange.apk or lgexchange.apk in the folder.

I think, unlike GoogleMail, exchange is baked into LGEmail app.

Perhaps, finding de-odexed version of LGEmail might help. Also, I don't know if there are any references to framework APK in LGEmail file that I uploaded. Not having proper framework will prohibit functioning of the app.

I think, we are off of assumption that framework between G2 and G3 is compatible....

---
Here is entire folder containing all files from /system/framework folder

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y3fn7j73ys6ojm1/framework.zip

Last edited:

fastguy

Feb 22, 2006
Thanks and very strange indeed to not have an exchange one. So I tried it on my Cyanogenmod and it does force close when launched. Maybe the ODEX story or it may be calling some specific add on in frameworks by LG skin.

3's&7's

Jul 25, 2013
P3X-439
I just installed the google email client .apk and its associated exchange services .apk.

We use office365 hosting and it synced up perfectly super fast.

I removed my accounts from the lg email app, then froze the lg email app, rebooted, and no issues.

VERY happy to have this back from the n5.

D0MINO

Jan 14, 2011
Maildroid is the best mail app android has I think, but I haven't gone through the others recently as I am very satisfied with it. The free version is less limited than before and I love the simple look of it but it also has very in depth options. Not sure if it will suit ur needs but try it.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

nerdo

Apr 11, 2008
myMail

What about myMail... absolutely worth it :good:
Been using it since before G3, didn't bother even trying the stock LG email client.

Use it for all my 5 email accounts. Supports Hotmail folders, clean UI, snappy, good overview, swift swiping between accounts!
Supposed to support exchange, haven't tried it personally.

MyMail-1.jpg
mymail-1.jpg

Check out this review (not by me ;))

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    All,

The default LG G3 Mail app is kinda meh....I hate the fact it does not allow me to view 'ALL EMAILS' under one, instead I have to manually toggle through my sub folders. I came from HTC One M7 and their mail app was the best I've used.
    Can anyone recommend me other alternative that is not Touchdown? I hate the old looking UI of Touchdown.
    I'm trying Nine Mail App now...so far so good? Any others?

Thanks!

http://xdaforums.com/lg-g3/themes-apps/mod-exchange-security-bypass-4-4-2-t2818469/post54198593
    If you can get the stock KitKat email app to work with Exchange it should be a great option. Much of the same interface and goodness as Gmail, threaded emails, etc, etc. My problem is that I have now tried two phones and at least 5 custom ROMs (on my HTC One X) and I have never been able to get the stock KitKat app to work with Exchange. I have tried CleanROM, Viper, Paranoid, Cyanogen, ASOP, as soon as the OS is 4.4 or newer Exchange simply does not work. Things work with the 4.3 Email.apk and Exchange2.apk but that does not have threading. Yes, I have tried all sorts of posted workarounds, Exchange2Google.apk from various sources, etc, no luck. There are numerous threads out there from people claiming to have this problem. Must be a Google screwup because the Samsung, HTC, and LG OEM apps have absolutely no issues with Exchange under KitKat.

If anyone knows of a workaround please PM me or just respond to this thread.

Just suggesting,

I've had a lot of headaches trying to make my exchange work on android.
    Auto settings never worked for me, i had to manually type the server user password and such.
    My problem was that i was not typing the domain before username.
    Im pointing this out because LG email app has a domain field and stock email app doesnt.
    So what I do is I fill domain\user.name@company.com in username field on stock email app, and i use pod51015.outlook.com on server field. And it works like that. Server might be different for you.
    Yeah, I have seen numerous people suggest that as a workaround but it has never worked for me. Perhaps the email server is not correct, I need to go talk to the IT guys. The annoying part is that the phone vendor email app always successfully auto-configures. It seems that everyone except Google has figured out how to do this correctly.

Yeah, IT people here gave me the server info. You should try entering manually next.
    Do any of these apps integrate exchange emails into appointments on your regular calendar automatically?

Also I'm looking for one that doesn't make me put a ridiculous password on my phone.

Nine allows for this. Exchange and appointments into regular calendar. You are given the choice of applying security at the app level instead of the device level. So you only have to enter PIN when opening the app...not when unlocking the device.

There is an app called Enhanced Email that allows you to bypass security completely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

While for calendar, you can actually look at availability for attendees , propose new time, remove/reject meeting requests with comments, set out of office responder ... This is just awesome. Having come from Atrix HD, Nexus 4, Windows Phone, HTC Evo/Evo 3D...., this has been a pleasant surprise.

Having said that, couple of things -

Mailwise has threaded support and developer is quite responsive. I would give that a shot.

For Outlook365 configuration, try server name as outlook.office365.com . This server is very responsive.