Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,603 Members 40,782 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Omni 4.4.4. on my Acer a500...Sweet!

Tip us?

deryckmeister
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Omni 4.4.4. on my Acer a500...Sweet!

Just installed this ROM. Omni 4.4.4 unofficial. Will provide some feedback soon. We are so spoiled.

Thank you developers!

D.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=53727042

ctiger
Old
Thanks Meter 15
the ability to set the permission for apps is a great feature!!!!!!!!! But that rom doesn't work for me. crashes too much for many of my apps.

shortbreads
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I installed this ROM yesterday and really like it so far, I was going to post a thanks in the thread however I don't have a high enough post count so if the dev see this thanks

I wish 4.4 had tablet UI though, I hate seeing the navbar on the desktop/home screen. If anybody knows how to get tablet UI on kitkat I'd really appreciate it.

deryckmeister
Old
(Last edited by deryckmeister; 1st July 2014 at 05:24 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
This rom is running great on my acer a500. Almost everything works right off the bat. So I can only only point out some small issues and possible work arounds.

Backup your current rom first, always! .This version of the omni rom installed well on my second try. The first try resulted in loss of root. Needed to properly wipe cache and davik cache and format data.

The lack of boot animation, got me the first time. So as the op says, wait and the rom will load. The smart launcher interface is nice.
Netflix and Youtube works right away.
Chrome Browsers don't play videos. "Lightening" browser does. You have to click on the video and then select full screen icon. Press play and it works. Even for PBS videos etc.
There is no video recorder app so anyone with a good suggestion please let me know and I can try that.
Audio recorder works.
Location works.
By the way...Tablet UI is dead, some of us really like the Tablet UI..

If you are having problems with any apps, you may need to have their cache and data cleaned. Sometimes you may have to reinstall the app. If you have apps that you want me to try, let me know and I can do that and provide feedback (please only the free versions that I can download to try .

As they say, once you're with omni you can never go back.

D.

P.S. Will post images later.

shortbreads
Old
(Last edited by shortbreads; 1st July 2014 at 08:34 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
I'm having a little bit of lag, which seems to have been improved with lulzactive and setting the cpu to 1200 max as suggested in the build thread... I'd prefer not to overclock if it can he helped though. I had SOD with 4.4.2 as well which seems to have gone away when I flashed 4.4.4... so we'll see.

youtube works fine for me too.

Yeah, that's what I had been reading regarding tablet UI but was hoping someone has found a way to implement it.

I'm successfully using moonshine icons with nova launcher by changing the icon pack in nova launcher, not launching the moonshine icon app which always stops working.

Boot animation works for me, I'm not sure why that is...

deryckmeister
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbreads View Post
I'm having a little bit of lag, which seems to have been improved with lulzactive and setting the cpu to 1200 max as suggested in the build thread... I'd prefer not to overclock if it can he helped though. I had SOD with 4.4.2 as well which seems to have gone away when I flashed 4.4.4... so we'll see.

youtube works fine for me too.

Yeah, that's what I had been reading regarding tablet UI but was hoping someone has found a way to implement it.

I'm successfully using moonshine icons with nova launcher by changing the icon pack in nova launcher, not launching the moonshine icon app which always stops working.

Boot animation works for me, I'm not sure why that is...
I am having no lags. I use interactive and sio at 1200/456. I use nova launcher with the Samsung galaxy s4 HD theme. Works well for me. No lags.

D.

mdlsp8
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs up Great work!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deryckmeister View Post
I am having no lags. I use interactive and sio at 1200/456. I use nova launcher with the Samsung galaxy s4 HD theme. Works well for me. No lags.

D.
Yesterday I installed the ROM and I have been testing it during the day (a really intensive working day) The performance of my A500 has been fantastic since the installation. Even more when I changed the sio to the values recommended by deryckmeister (I was also using nova). All goes smooth!

Thank you very much to all the people involved in these projects...you are doing an incredible job!

deryckmeister
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlsp8 View Post
Yesterday I installed the ROM and I have been testing it during the day (a really intensive working day) The performance of my A500 has been fantastic since the installation. Even more when I changed the sio to the values recommended by deryckmeister (I was also using nova). All goes smooth!

Thank you very much to all the people involved in these projects...you are doing an incredible job!
That is great news. All the thanks goes to the developers/testers both here at XDA and at Thor's for the many tools and tweaks and helpful suggestions.