Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,721 Members 50,775 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] unknown baseband version, empty hardware version

Tip us?

nicedog
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] unknown baseband version, empty hardware version

Here's the story

1. this phone wouldn't boot up after the OTA update, the screen read "firmware upgrade encountered an issue.
please use software repair assistant & try again."

2. used odin 3.09 to reflash pit and the latest nc4 official firmware (I know it can't be rooted, but that's the only choice I have).

3. phone came back alive, worked for t-mobile and verizon sim cards.

Problem:

after a few hours or maybe a day, or maybe a restart, phone won't detect sim card, baseband version shows unkwown, hardware
version is empty, imei, network, MIN, PRL version, ERI version, imeisv, iccid are all "unknown".

What I have done:
phone will be back to normal if I flash the firmware again, I've use odin 3.09 and kies 3 many times.

I also tried flashing different modems, for ex, MI9, MJE, NC2 even NC4. But phone will keep restarting, sometimes the phone is working after
a few restarts. But eventually I will have the same problem again.

I was wondering if someone could point me to the right direction?

cam30era
Old
Thanks Meter 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicedog View Post
Here's the story

1. this phone wouldn't boot up after the OTA update, the screen read "firmware upgrade encountered an issue.
please use software repair assistant & try again."

2. used odin 3.09 to reflash pit and the latest nc4 official firmware (I know it can't be rooted, but that's the only choice I have).

3. phone came back alive, worked for t-mobile and verizon sim cards.

Problem:

after a few hours or maybe a day, or maybe a restart, phone won't detect sim card, baseband version shows unkwown, hardware
version is empty, imei, network, MIN, PRL version, ERI version, imeisv, iccid are all "unknown".

What I have done:
phone will be back to normal if I flash the firmware again, I've use odin 3.09 and kies 3 many times.

I also tried flashing different modems, for ex, MI9, MJE, NC2 even NC4. But phone will keep restarting, sometimes the phone is working after
a few restarts. But eventually I will have the same problem again.

I was wondering if someone could point me to the right direction?
When you flashed the different modems, did you check settings/about the phone to verify that the modem flash " took"? Recommend entering Odin from power off, especially when flashing modems. FWIW, I'm not at all sure this will fix your problem, but it's worth a shot.

nicedog
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam30era View Post
When you flashed the different modems, did you check settings/about the phone to verify that the modem flash " took"? Recommend entering Odin from power off, especially when flashing modems. FWIW, I'm not at all sure this will fix your problem, but it's worth a shot.
Yes I did. The baseband version showed MI9 when my phone was still working properly.
The Following User Says Thank You to nicedog For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cam30era
Old
Thanks Meter 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicedog View Post
Yes I did. The baseband version showed MI9 when my phone was still working properly.
OK. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some suggestions.

nicedog
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
one more thing I've done many times so far is, sometimes a full reset will bring it back to normal too.

settings -> backup and reset -> factory data reset.

I don't mind bricking my phone, but maybe someone knows other possible way, say, flashing EFS? I don't even know what that is.
I've been searching for the right solution but I haven't found one yet.

nicedog
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Never ever give up!

I'm the OP and I finally got it working. I simply ran EFS Professional v2.1.73, did a backup and restore of the EFS. That's it!

Michael R.
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Did you figure out what efs is?

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app