Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,235 Members 51,812 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

A: Having Problems Rooting the Note Pro 12.2 SM-P900/905? TRY THIS!

Tip us?

VenomousViper
Old
(Last edited by VenomousViper; 17th July 2014 at 04:45 PM.) Reason: added hyperlinks to thread
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5

DONATE TO ME
Arrow A: Having Problems Rooting the Note Pro 12.2 SM-P900/905? TRY THIS!

**NOTE** For the SM-P900! However steps should be the same for SM-P905 EXCLUDING THE FILE TYPES (THEY ARE DIFFERENT DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THE FILES FOR THE SM-P900 OR BYE BYE TO YOUR NOTE 12.2 Pro because now you have a problem that may or may not be repairable/reversible). You just have to make sure you have the coordinating files for the process!

If anyone else has issues try this and these steps to complete the Root/Custom ROM/TWRP Recovery installations successfully for a "First time go":

1. Remove Kies and Kies3 files, related files, folders, and everything that has anything to do with the primary installation of either the two programs on your PC and your devices. When/if prompted, select the checkable box and elect not save any type of files... if you want to keep them save them OFF your main PC on a flash or removable storage device.

2. REMOVE ALL SAMSUNG DRIVERS AND REPLACE WITH ONLY OFFICIAL SAMSUNG DRIVES!!! THIS IS A BIG MUST!

3. Using your USB 2.0 cable and ports Install the Custom Rom "P900XXUANB3-RecoveryImg.tar" FIRST and flash it via ODIN 3.07 under the PDA checkbox that is "fixed" (so you noobs don’t make any soft bricks if this is your first attempt at rooting), and only use the ODIN 3.07 THAT COMES W/ CHAINFIRES AUTO ROOT .zip file and then unzip the folder to open ODIN 3.07 ONLY! This is only because I have read that there have been issues installing the SU via Chain Fires Auto Root Process... the file is called (currently as of 25 JUNE 2014) "P900XXUANB3-RecoveryImg.tar" PDA select it and then start when in DOWNLOAD MODE on your device. Manually select DOWNLOAD MODE if you have to BEFORE PRESSING START! Otherwise, one is just going to sit there and not accomplish anything.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...3&d=1392923580
http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...9&d=1392930654
http://forum.xda-developers.com/atta...8&d=1401644348
4 Reboot back into DOWNLOAD MODE. Flash in ODIN 3.07 with the PDA section and select this file next to install: "openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.0-v1awifi.img.tar"

5. In DOWNLOAD MODE and flash the file under the PDA box TWRP (OR CURRENT RECOVERY OF YOUR CHOICE THAT IS AVAILABLE)

6. AGAIN... Restart your device into DOWNLOAD MODE via ODIN 3.07 and select PDA and then finally root this: "CF-Auto-Root-v1awifi-v1awifixx-smp900.tar.md5" Then you can backup, restore, flash anything, and be happy! YOU SHOULD FINALLY HAVE A SUCCESSFUL ROOT! Turn off and REBOOT into RECOVERY to see if TWRP stuck and then reboot to see if the SU stuck. IF everything stuck reboot back into TWRP to flash whatever rom is available MAKE SURE TO BACK UP EVERY FILE BEFORE YOU FLASH ANY NON-STOCK ROMS. If not successful rinse wash and repeat until it does!
http://download.chainfire.eu/384/CF-...ixx-smp900.zip

7. That’s it you should have root and a custom rom and recovery if you followed these instructions for flashing via ODIN 3.07 and Chainfires AutoRoot files. If you still have an issue repeat until root/recovery/Rom sticks. If you have to update the Binary for the SU just go to the Google Play Store and install the app and then try it again till it works. GOOD LUCK it worked for me this way!

**IMPORTANT**
BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP after every flash that is possible to back up. If you can, back up the NON-SU stock ROM BEFORE installing SU, after installing the recovery and/or back up.

***IF I HELPED YOU OUT THANK ME***

DISCLAIMER - all research was observed via comments on the thread according to issues people have been having during ROOTING the device I simply have compiled the data and made a check list!
JOIN MY SPRINT "FRAMILY PLAN" [~r02321236ye~UNLIMITED Talk Text & Data~]
SM-P900 - Rooted! FACTORY ~ STOCK ROM - CURRENTLY IN USE!
SM-N900P - Rooted! - CURRENTLY IN USE!
SM-T217S 3G/4G - Rooted! DEODEXED ~ STOCK ROM - CURRENTLY IN USE!
SPH-L720 - Rooted! CM11 OFFICIAL~ NIGHTLIES-Up To Date. CURRENTLY IN USE!
SPH-L710 - Rooted! CM10 OFFICIAL ~ STABLE ROM - DEVICE RETIRED!!!
PC36100 - Rooted! CM09 OFFICIAL ~ STABLE ROM - DEVICE RETIRED!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to VenomousViper For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sanvara
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Need a link to the files you mentioned.

sstea
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks. Very helpful.

I have a P900. Is there a way to unroot and bring a unit back to stock? My main concern is if Samsung sends out a software/firmware update, and a device is already rooted, can the update be applied?

Spere
Old
(Last edited by Spere; 4th July 2014 at 03:46 PM.)
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstea View Post
Thanks. Very helpful.

I have a P900. Is there a way to unroot and bring a unit back to stock? My main concern is if Samsung sends out a software/firmware update, and a device is already rooted, can the update be applied?
Read THIS

But still one quiestion, why the heck you root your device if you are going to update it via Samsung's official ways. Ah and one more question.. why the heck would you want to update your device if it's rooted?

A new update from Samsung can patch all known security holes and make your device unrootable, and since you are rooted now, one would think that you don't want to loose it. Or where do I know if you rooted because it sounded nice and cool, without knowing what you did and most importantly WHY you did.

sstea
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spere View Post
Read THIS

But still one quiestion, why the heck you root your device if you are going to update it via Samsung's official ways. Ah and one more question.. why the heck would you want to update your device if it's rooted?

A new update from Samsung can patch all known security holes and make your device unrootable, and since you are rooted now, one would think that you don't want to loose it. Or where do I know if you rooted because it sounded nice and cool, without knowing what you did and most importantly WHY you did.
Thanks. I appreciate the reply. I have rooted many devices before. I have to admit that it was more of following posted instructions and not fully understanding the details. What gives me pause is how extremely limited the support is for this tablet. I want to root my note if I can make it more responsive, get rid of bloatware, enable more apps for multi-window, titanium backup, etc. I want to make sure that if I root that I don't get stuck with on an old release. So will previously rooted Notes be able to get the necessary files to easily update and maintain root, or does rooting now mean that a tablet may be stuck at the current release? Thanks

Spere
Old
Thanks Meter 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstea View Post
Thanks. I appreciate the reply. I have rooted many devices before. I have to admit that it was more of following posted instructions and not fully understanding the details. What gives me pause is how extremely limited the support is for this tablet. I want to root my note if I can make it more responsive, get rid of bloatware, enable more apps for multi-window, titanium backup, etc. I want to make sure that if I root that I don't get stuck with on an old release. So will previously rooted Notes be able to get the necessary files to easily update and maintain root, or does rooting now mean that a tablet may be stuck at the current release? Thanks
You can always flash stock firmware via odin

VenomousViper
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5

DONATE TO ME
I was just wondering if everyone was having a much easier time with achieving root now? Kies caused me to "Hang" a lot during the Root and custom rom to stick w root... as of right now i can not get the only ONE custom ROM that looks promising, i have found by GWatts (correct me if i am wrong and i apologize if i have typed the wrong screen name handle) i believe his handle is... at this point im not sure what i am doing wrong as of yet but im sure i am missing a step or i just need to start back at unroot back to stock firmware and try and try again lol. not saying anything is wrong with his work at all by any means because people other than me with the same device have gotten it to stick and im just wishing i could as well because its sweet looking ROM! NOT TO MENTION THE ONLY ONE THAT IS OUT (that is which i know about. i haven't been on in a few months idk), SO KUDOS TO WATTS i just haven't been successful at installing his custom rom just yet... Im hoping that its just going to need to be erased again and then reformatted after a factory reset and what not, i pray it sticks because his incorporation of the aroma installer was a nice touch and his ROM really looks good... Now if i can just get it not to stick at samsung boot logo and freeze id be good lol!

VenomousViper
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanvara View Post
Need a link to the files you mentioned.
ok