Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,606 Members 47,823 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

AOSP roms for G3 - how stable will they be?

Tip us?

astralbee
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default AOSP roms for G3 - how stable will they be?

I have asked this question elsewhere but didn't get an answer so I'm trying here.

I've had 3 generations of Samsungs and I really want to switch to something different, possibly the LG G3. What would really convince me is if I could reasonably anticipate a rock solid AOSP ROM for it at some point in the future. I'm sick of Samsungs bulky and laggy Touchwiz, and I've fallen in love with the pure Google experience that AOSP roms offer; but while they work OK on the Samsung, they suffer from a drop in quality and performance because I am told Samsung drivers are not open source and they have to use open source alternatives.

I've noticed that LG have an open source code distribution page with software for phones on it. Now I'm no developer, so the question I am asking is - do LG release their code open source? And does this mean that original developers are able to drive the LG hardware properly? What were AOSP roms like for the G2?

hello00
Old
Thanks Meter 1875
Quote:
Originally Posted by astralbee View Post
I have asked this question elsewhere but didn't get an answer so I'm trying here.

I've had 3 generations of Samsungs and I really want to switch to something different, possibly the LG G3. What would really convince me is if I could reasonably anticipate a rock solid AOSP ROM for it at some point in the future. I'm sick of Samsungs bulky and laggy Touchwiz, and I've fallen in love with the pure Google experience that AOSP roms offer; but while they work OK on the Samsung, they suffer from a drop in quality and performance because I am told Samsung drivers are not open source and they have to use open source alternatives.

I've noticed that LG have an open source code distribution page with software for phones on it. Now I'm no developer, so the question I am asking is - do LG release their code open source? And does this mean that original developers are able to drive the LG hardware properly? What were AOSP roms like for the G2?
the aosp builds for the g2 are pretty stable..it only took them a few weeks to sort them out but i just wish they offered a google edition like many companies are doing with their devices like the m8..s5..etc
-Black&Cyan for ICS 4.0.4, JB 4.1.1 and CM10 AOSP Theme Apps, -Blacked Out Gapps, Custom Batt% & Icons
-HTC Sense Camera for HTC One m7 Google Edition Roms 4.2.2 Click Here
-★ [THEMED] Kitkat 4.4 Mms.apk Dark Holo & More ★Here
★ ★ UCCW Clocks by me Click here ★ ★
The Following User Says Thank You to hello00 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

astralbee
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello00 View Post
the aosp builds for the g2 are pretty stable..it only took them a few weeks to sort them out but i just wish they offered a google edition like many companies are doing with their devices like the m8..s5..etc
Thanks for the reply. I found one or two aosp builds for my Galaxy S3 that I would describe as 'stable' in that they don't crash or lock up - but the audio quality using an open source driver is noticeably poorer, and that affects using the phone, audio messages, music playback, and video recording/playback - to the point that it just wasn't acceptable to me. My camera would always crash on aosp roms too.

So I'm still interested to know if original developers have access to the source code for for the G3 hardware - because if I'm paying for a 13mp laser guided camera, I want it to still function as it should under any rom I put on it!

kevina90
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I found one or two aosp builds for my Galaxy S3 that I would describe as 'stable' in that they don't crash or lock up - but the audio quality using an open source driver is noticeably poorer, and that affects using the phone, audio messages, music playback, and video recording/playback - to the point that it just wasn't acceptable to me. My camera would always crash on aosp roms too.

So I'm still interested to know if original developers have access to the source code for for the G3 hardware - because if I'm paying for a 13mp laser guided camera, I want it to still function as it should under any rom I put on it!
I was also wondering about this. On the Htc one xl the aosp camera was significantly worse than the sense one.

Is there any way to know if when the g3 gets aosp there will be any driver issues? The g3 on paper seems absolutely fantastic but the possibility of no aosp or aosp with less functionality is terrifying to me.
Phone: LG G3

Tablet: Nexus 7

Watch: Motorola Motoactv

Retired: HTC Aria, HTC Titan II, iPhone 2g, Blackberry Curve 8520, HTC ONE XL, HP Touchpad

Pilz
Old
Thanks Meter 146
I wish there was a GPE version of the G3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Pilz For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

drawde40599
Old
Thanks Meter 1617

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

I THINK a lot of code is shared from these manufacturers but camera stuff may not be on that list . Just got the LG G3 yesterday and i don't like it at all besides the camera , finding it kinda laggy in comparison to N5 ( if u use the resents button a lot u'll notice ) and its not the same build quality as my G2 , feels cheaper to me . I'm a fan of AOSP, all my devices have some form of it, this G3 may be going back to the store for a new M8 its pretty easy convert to full GPE . and i love my M7

distancesprinter
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello00 View Post
Where can I download the AOSP builds for g3? If they don't exist, where will I go to find them when they do exist?

Thanks!

Jibe@
Old
(Last edited by Jibe@; 17th July 2014 at 06:55 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by distancesprinter View Post
Where can I download the AOSP builds for g3? If they don't exist, where will I go to find them when they do exist?

Thanks!

They don't exist yet. From what I understand the boot loader hasn't even been unlocked yet. I guess there are people working on it tho. As far as where you can find the builds, they'll be here on XDA, either in the Android Development section of this G3 forum, or in the carrier specific G3 sections (which have yet to be created).

Never mind, I guess they just created the carrier threads.....