Battery Charged in 30 Seconds? Maybe in 2016

Phones and tablets are getting more and more power hungry with each passing generation. Their … more

ZArchive Manages Your File Archives

Today smartphones are quite powerful devices that can handle multiple processes at once. In fact, some of … more

Regain Double Tap to Wake Functionality on the Nexus 6

A few months ago, Google announced its newest flagship device, the Nexus 6, alongside … more

Clean Your Recent Apps – XDA Xposed Tuesday

In this day and age, you have quite a few apps installed and running on your Android … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Disable Hands Free Activation

OP aprwx

14th April 2014, 06:25 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 5

56 posts
More
I've seen several discussions about this around the web, but none of the solutions I've read have helped me.

I have the Sprint HTC One M8 with custom ROM (ViperOneM8). The phone is activated and works fully, yet on reboot I always get the 'Hands Free Activation' wizard. If I hit Activate and then Done it goes away and I can use my phone normally, but every reboot brings it back up again.

Ideas?
14th April 2014, 06:53 AM   |  #2  
OP Member

56 posts
More
I'll add that I have custom recovery (TWRP), rooted, custom ROM, and S-Off.
20th April 2014, 11:13 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
Htc m8 and sprint
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprwx

I've seen several discussions about this around the web, but none of the solutions I've read have helped me.

I have the Sprint HTC One M8 with custom ROM (ViperOneM8). The phone is activated and works fully, yet on reboot I always get the 'Hands Free Activation' wizard. If I hit Activate and then Done it goes away and I can use my phone normally, but every reboot brings it back up again.

Ideas?

Sorry I have the same issue with mine and finally ive called htc for a swap out phone to see if its a software defect. htc said that if it still occures it may bee an issue with sprint...
21st April 2014, 04:37 AM   |  #4  
OP Member

56 posts
More
Are you running stock, or did you install a custom rom?

Sent from my Sprint HTC One M8
22nd April 2014, 09:00 AM   |  #5  
OP Member

56 posts
More
... I ask because when I first bought the phone it activated fine (with delay because it was the same day that the Galaxy S5 was released and Sprint had a delay activating phones that day)....but then I installed a custom ROM and am having this problem now with the custom ROM.
1st May 2014, 05:45 PM   |  #6  
OP Member

56 posts
More
Thought I'd post here to help others who stumble on this thread....

This removed Hands Free Activation for me on Sprint's HTC One M8:

Quote:
Originally Posted by j to the 4n

Re: Hands Free Activation ... http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=2287

This worked for me, but a couple notes:

- I wasn't able to do the command line or Root Explorer. Both methods gave me errors, seemingly that I didn't have permissions to rename or delete the file. Why would that be? I went into TWRP and 'Fixed Permissions' but that didn't help. -- found it interesting that boot up is a LOT slower now that I fixed permissions.

- I ended up going into TWRP, mounting system and then going into TWRP's file manager to rename the file. Now Hands Free Activation no longer comes up (Thank you!), but I also note that neither PRL Update or Update Profile do anything now. Not a huge deal because before they just errored out anyway, but I would think it would be important to be able to do PRL/Profile updates.
The Following User Says Thank You to aprwx For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd May 2014, 07:22 AM   |  #7  
Flag Moreno Valley CA
Thanks Meter: 21

146 posts
Quote:

Thought I'd post here to help others who stumble on this thread....

This removed Hands Free Activation for me on Sprint's HTC One M8:

This worked for me, but a couple notes:

- I wasn't able to do the command line or Root Explorer. Both methods gave me errors, seemingly that I didn't have permissions to rename or delete the file. Why would that be? I went into TWRP and 'Fixed Permissions' but that didn't help. -- found it interesting that boot up is a LOT slower now that I fixed permissions.

- I ended up going into TWRP, mounting system and then going into TWRP's file manager to rename the file. Now Hands Free Activation no longer comes up (Thank you!), but I also note that neither PRL Update or Update Profile do anything now. Not a huge deal because before they just errored out anyway, but I would think it would be important to be able to do PRL/Profile updates.

Thanks for the heads up about this. I just changed the .apk to .bak with root explorer, noted the path and file name so I can change it back to update the pir and prl. Mine didn't usually error out.
2nd May 2014, 08:52 PM   |  #8  
Flag Boston
Thanks Meter: 244

1,368 posts
More
Quote:

Ideas?

I'd find another ROM.

I think you are always safest to stay with Sprint "Native" ROMs on a Sprint Phone. Mainly because the developer usually doesn't have a Sprint Phone to fully flesh it out on a regular day to day basis. There are subtle differences between all the carriers. You also end up with a Build of Android that exactly matches the corresponding build of Firmware.

Once you do get back on a native ROM you *MIGHT* have to do a ##72786# (full wipe) to get things back in order.
18th July 2014, 09:51 AM   |  #9  
OP Member

56 posts
More
What I think are related issues lead me to a fix that was common to several problems I was having:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/spri...ssues-t2819915

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread