Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,816 Members 39,144 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Soft Bricked Verizon Galaxy Note 2 SCH-I605 VRUFND7

Tip us?

jerimiahbaldwin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy [Q] Soft Bricked Verizon Galaxy Note 2 SCH-I605 VRUFND7

I've had my Verizon Galaxy Note 2 for nearly 2 years and have not rooted. Several days ago I received the OTA update 4.4.2. Today, I wanted to root but I'm afraid I screwed up the boot loader. Presently, when I try to boot the phone I receive "Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again." Neither Kies nor Kies 3 recognize the device connected via USB. I can boot into odin mode and odin can talk to the device.

History:
I followed the guide found here:
<link blocked: search for "How to Unlock Bootloader and Root Verizon Galaxy Note 2 on VRAMC3!" in google>

However, I overlooked the build number. The guide suggests that the build number should be VRALJB but my build number was VRUFND7 (i.e. KOT49H.I605VRUFND7).
Otherwise, I followed the guide down to step 8 and then received the following results:

<ID:0/006> Added!!
<ID:0/006> Odin v.3 engine (ID:6)..
<ID:0/006> File analysis..
<ID:0/006> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/006> Initialzation..
<ID:0/006> Set PIT file..
<ID:0/006> DO NOT TURN OFF TARGET!!
<ID:0/006> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/006> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/006> boot.img
<ID:0/006> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/006> recovery.img
<ID:0/006> tz.img
<ID:0/006> sboot.bin
<ID:0/006> FAIL!
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Do I need to flash a bootloader that is compatible with KOT49H.I605VRUFND7. Else what should I do to complete the root process or revert?

Other details:
I've noticed in other attempts that every time Odin tries to write sboot.bin, the process fails. Is that because the boot loader is locked?

Any insights into helping me fix my bricked device are appreciated. I searched for many hours for more information but I'm afraid this is pretty new territory since the OTA came out only a few days ago.

jadon0827
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default help...

Hello, i just did the same thing 3 days ago, the way i fixed it was going onto samsmobile, downloading the 4.4.2 rom, then flashing it with odin. message me if you have any questions

jerimiahbaldwin
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadon0827 View Post
Hello, i just did the same thing 3 days ago, the way i fixed it was going onto samsmobile, downloading the 4.4.2 rom, then flashing it with odin. message me if you have any questions
Yes, that fixed it. Thank you so much! Were you ever able to root it?

Msmith2004
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerimiahbaldwin View Post
Yes, that fixed it. Thank you so much! Were you ever able to root it?
Yes i'd be most interested in Rooting my note 2 but have stock 4.4.2 and doesn't seem possible at the moment

jadon0827
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default title

No i wasn't ever to get my phone rooted, it doesn't look like anyone will be able to until someone finds a exploit in odin

casualPhoenix
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Anybody tried the Nasirtech method?