Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,836 Members 41,469 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Finally found THE case for the G

Tip us?

matmutant
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,412
Default Hard Case review :

Today i got my new case in the mail-box, so here is a quick review : (click on the picture):
Moto G running Android 4.4.4 KK CM11 /!\ twitter ~ Blog : Andrux&me /!\
Bug Hunter for : CM11 and AcDisplay
supported devices:

Motorola : Moto G (falcon / Peregrine [4G])
RC-FAQ: Falcon ; RC-FAQ: Peregrine ; CM11 DeBug Thread

Xperia: X10mini (robyn); X10miniPRO (mimmi); X8/W8 (shakira)
MiniCM10: MiniFAQ
MiniCM9: MiniFAQ
MiniCM7: MiniFAQ
i don't have power of ubiquity : if you want me to answer, please quote me or mention me using "@matmutant" in the post

Zyquil
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Eh, this one or the Otterbox Commuter case?
Both seem good, just can't tell which one's thicker. Obviously would go with the thinner one, since both seem to give good protection.

matmutant
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyquil View Post
Eh, this one or the Otterbox Commuter case?
Both seem good, just can't tell which one's thicker. Obviously would go with the thinner one, since both seem to give good protection.
I don't know, i don't have a commuter to compare, did you read the full review? http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2786131
  • without cover the device is 17mm thick, 133mm long and 70mm wide
  • with the cover it is much thicker if you keep the belt clip that i removed
  • with cover but wihout clip : 18*135*75
supported devices:

i don't have power of ubiquity : if you want me to answer, please quote me or mention me using "@matmutant" in the post

Zyquil
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmutant View Post
I don't know, i don't have a commuter to compare, did you read the full review? http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2786131
  • without cover the device is 17mm thick, 133mm long and 70mm wide
  • with the cover it is much thicker if you keep the belt clip that i removed
  • with cover but wihout clip : 18*135*75
I have, I just have trouble finding the case on Amazon. A friend of mine will be getting some stuff over Amazon so I'm just tagging along.
So basically:
  • Your case(Hybrid Hard case with kickstand)
  • Otterbox Commuter Case
  • Trident Aegis Case

NWKENT
Old
Thanks Meter 474
Here's the one I use on all my Moto's..a lot less bulky, more usable options..

Here >> http://m.ebay.com/itm/370987205264?txnId=602107571024

Sent from my 4.3_14.14.14
(Unlocked) XT1028 Moto G
http://waynekent.com/page6.html

yaconsult
Old
(Last edited by yaconsult; 23rd July 2014 at 03:40 AM.)
Thanks Meter 3
Default I'm waiting for my Future Armor Hybrid case to arrive.

I have one of these on the way from China: Future Armor Heavy Duty Hybrid Stand Case

I wanted a "hybrid" case with both a hard shell and a softer part surrounding the phone. Most of the designs are very similar. I looked for one that had hard corners to deflect the force as I thought this might reduce the chance of the screen break if it should land on a corner.

I don't have it yet, so I can't give any details. Can't argue with the price - about $2.50 plus $1 for shipping or $2 for faster shipping. I paid for the faster shipping.

Right now, I'm using this one that I got from ebay for $10: TUDIA Ultra Slim Melody TPU Soft Gel Case It's ok and it feels pretty good but I'm not sure how much protection it will provide if the phone is dropped. I think the hybrid cases probably provide more protection.

Oh, and for those who liked the Aegis Case, I see that walmart sells them for $16 with free pickup from the store or fedex office. Looks like a better price for it than most other places including ebay.

Update 7/15/2014: OK - I received the Future Armor Heavy Duty Hybrid Stand Case and have been using it on my phone for a few days. Overall, it's pretty good. The inner material is harder/stiffer than the TPU case. I like the corner protection. Haven't dropped the phone yet, so no real test. Like the tpu case, the area over the buttons is just a raised area on the mold. The buttons seem slightly harder to push than on the softer tpu case. I think I would like to try a case that actually had discreet, movable buttons over the switches. I like the stand on the back but it only works in horizontal position. I have seen a couple of others that could be used either vertically or horizontally. Oh, well - what did I expect for $2.50!

Update 7/21/2014: Well, I decided that I really didn't like the button feel with the Future Armor Hybrid two-piece case. The buttons are really hard to push! I have gone back to the Tudia soft gel case and the buttons are much easier to use with it. Is it just me, or do the buttons on the naked phone seem to have rather sharp edges? The gel case is also a lot less bulky. I agree with wolfen69 about the Future Armor Hybrid two-piece case - the inner cover is quite hard plastic while the idea of a hybrid case is usually to have a soft inner section and a harder outer section.

I would still like to find a cheap case that has a soft inner lining, a hard outer shell, and actual side buttons that are easy to push. I haven't found one yet, but I'll keep an eye out. With the popularity of this phone, I expect we will see many more cases on the market.
The Following User Says Thank You to yaconsult For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

knightandroid
Old
Thanks Meter 46

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfen69 View Post
I just don't like that the otterbox comes with a built in screen protector.
You can pop the screen protector out, I have done that and the screen protector was just in there with pressure adhesive, and it did not leave any residue. But do it at your own risk

wolfen69
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaconsult View Post
I have one of these on the way from China: Future Armor Heavy Duty Hybrid Stand Case

I wanted a "hybrid" case with both a hard shell and a softer part surrounding the phone.
As you will find out, (if you haven't already) that case has both inner and outer parts that are hard plastic. It still will give decent protection, but not as good as a soft inner liner.

My Devices:

HTC G1
Nexus One
Nexus 4

tatiraju.rishabh
Old
Thanks Meter 100

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by matmutant View Post
Today i got my new case in the mail-box, so here is a quick review
Is it the cover with a retractable stand behind? My friend has one for the Moto X.

Moto G: Chatroom
Hit Thanks if my posts benefit you!

matmutant
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatiraju.rishabh View Post
Is it the cover with a retractable stand behind? My friend has one for the Moto X.
Yes (there are at least 4 different cases with stand in the back, from different brands), but on my specific one, the stand hasn't been well designed so it can't work as it full potential, plus i didn't use it at all so blocked it with double sided tape to stop it from rattling
supported devices: