Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,834 Members 46,474 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Tutorial on how to make dock for Sony Xperia ZR and other Xperias at home (DIY)

Tip us?

Thibou
Old
Thanks Meter 77

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl John View Post
Thanks buddy!!
I will post some pictures of my own D.I.Y. dock when it's done
How about the charging speed of yours? Is it fast enough? Others in this thread had experienced very slow charging speed. I wonder what caused it. Perhaps, the type of wire they used. So I guess I need to look for good wires suitable for fast charging as well. Any suggestion?
Concerning charging speed, it's a boring problem for me.
At the beggining, my ZR charge well but slowly. If I go to bed and connect the ZR at the dock with less than 20%, the tomorow morning, the ZR wasn't completly charged ( around 90%) after 6-7 hours.
And since a moment, my ZR don't want to charge. I put it on the dock, the led light up but it don't charge, it's discharge ! Or sometimes it charge about 1% per 30 minutes, so currently I let my dock in the drawer...
I don't know from where comes the problem. I've exactly the same electric values as a friend's official Z dock (4,86V and 1650mA for me) but the ZR don't charge. My electric circuit is good as well. Electric contacts seem good.

Earl John
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default perhaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly.man View Post
Concerning charging speed, it's a boring problem for me.
At the beggining, my ZR charge well but slowly. If I go to bed and connect the ZR at the dock with less than 20%, the tomorow morning, the ZR wasn't completly charged ( around 90%) after 6-7 hours.
And since a moment, my ZR don't want to charge. I put it on the dock, the led light up but it don't charge, it's discharge ! Or sometimes it charge about 1% per 30 minutes, so currently I let my dock in the drawer...
I don't know from where comes the problem. I've exactly the same electric values as a friend's official Z dock (4,86V and 1650mA for me) but the ZR don't charge. My electric circuit is good as well. Electric contacts seem good.
That sounds strange. Are you using the original charger unit that came with your phone? How about charging via micro usb directly to the phone, does it still work?
I really think that there must be a specific type of wire that should be used for fast charging.
Also, try to double check the in wires of your dock. There could be short circuit happening inside or maybe the wire itself is nearly, completely cut.

Thibou
Old
(Last edited by Thibou; 4th March 2014 at 10:33 PM.)
Thanks Meter 77

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl John View Post
That sounds strange. Are you using the original charger unit that came with your phone? How about charging via micro usb directly to the phone, does it still work?
I really think that there must be a specific type of wire that should be used for fast charging.
Also, try to double check the in wires of your dock. There could be short circuit happening inside or maybe the wire itself is nearly, completely cut.
Yes I use the official wall charger (EP880) designed for the ZR. With USB cable + wall charger my ZR charge fastly.
Concerning wires, it's not needed to use some specific ones. You just need to have the correct electric values at the dock pins. In my case it's good, I've the same power as on an official dock. You need to have same values as you measure with the wall charger, it's approximatly 5V and 1500mA. In my case I've 4,86V and 1650mA with the official wall charger and with my DIY dock.
There is no short circuit because I've the good values in the pins. Due to the conception of my dock I can check the electric values by return my dock when my ZR is in place into it. And all seems good... in theory ! x)

EDIT : I use CM11 Official. I think my problem is a software problem and not an material problem. Mabye with old nightlies dock charging works but with new nightlies there is a bug.

vuckiez
Old
Thanks Meter 13
thanks for the tutorial! I'm planning to make one!

Thibou
Old
(Last edited by Thibou; 18th May 2014 at 09:19 PM.)
Thanks Meter 77

DONATE TO ME
Hi !
I have solved my problem of dock !
It's really weird but it was a problem of weldings not properly done. However, the current seems to pass but not charge.
Now I have +1% by 2 minutes of charge.
Xperia ZR → UB - Carbon KK
In drawer : Neo UB and X8 UB

To support my work :

8BB76E1
Old
Thanks Meter 1
so this is mine.. made from audio cassette case, old siemens phone data cable and a lot of hot glue.. ^_^;
just until the cheap dock from ebay arrives..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dock1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	2820819   Click image for larger version

Name:	dock2.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	121.5 KB
ID:	2820820   Click image for larger version

Name:	dock3.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	2820821  

jatyeo
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Dude. The aftermarket dock is better than stock and costs 10 bucks on ebay shipping included. Buy that. Best tutorial.

Sent from my C5503 using XDA Free mobile app

Tags
diy, dock, sony xperia zr, xperia

XDA PORTAL POSTS

Slate Calendar Helps You Organize Your Life

Without calendars in some form or another, most of our lives would be utter chaos. Unless you are … more

Shane Francis to Talk Android, Robotics, and Vision at XDA:DevCon 2014

Our international xda:devcon 14in Manchester, UK on the weekend of … more

LG G Watch Tool is a Toolkit all Owners Need

The LG G Watch is one of the first two devices hitting the market rocking the highly anticipated … more

Benchmark Your CPU Performance with Mini CPU Integer Script

When it comes to device testing, there are two types of people on XDA. The first … more