FORUMS

Google No Longer Sending Calendar SMS Notifications

In a not entirely surprising move, Google announced that it’s putting an … more

Enable Multi-Window Mode on M Developer Preview

What was not mentioned in yeterday’s keynote was Android M’s multi-window … more

I/O Summary: Google Cardboard Virtual Reality

One year ago, Google introduced cardboard. Amazingly enough, that was all it took to fire … more

Android M Preview Images – XDA TV

Android M preview images are available. That and much more news is covered by Jordan when he … more

Droid Ultra to Maxx conversion (sort of)

Thanks Meter: 4
 
By Jay_P11, Member on 10th June 2014, 01:48 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
As stupid as this may sound, it looks completely possible to take the back of a Droid Maxx and put it on the chassis of the Ultra. When watching a teardown video, they're literally the exact same phone, given the wireless charging, larger battery, and non-glossy beautiful carbon back. Can't the backs just be swapped? And if anyone wanted to go to the extra step, the battery as well?
 
 
10th June 2014, 02:14 AM |#2  
tecsironman's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 21
 
Donate to Me
More
I bet it can be done. You just have to find the battery and back to do it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
10th June 2014, 02:27 AM |#3  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4
 
More
Its a bit pricey, but its the only one

http://www.etradesupply.com/motorola...oor-black.html

Seeing as they don't have a replacement battery, I guess I'll just stuff it with paper
12th July 2014, 10:21 PM |#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Did you have any success with the conversion?
Just curious as to your success. I'm considering it myself and would like to know if this worked.
13th July 2014, 07:33 AM |#5  
Senior Member
Flag Piedras Negras, Coahuila
Thanks Meter: 58
 
Donate to Me
More
Actually you need the Maxx battery that costs like 35 bucks on ebay, a sort kind of plastic frame over the camera and stuff, then, the antenna that is located on the low side of the phone and last, the back cover, obviously is more thick to fit the Maxx battery, you can still use the nfc transmitter or you can buy the nfc/wireless charging coil combo, it uses the same connector.
13th July 2014, 04:06 PM |#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Plastic frame and antenna
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel_sinbad

Actually you need the Maxx battery that costs like 35 bucks on ebay, a sort kind of plastic frame over the camera and stuff, then, the antenna that is located on the low side of the phone and last, the back cover, obviously is more thick to fit the Maxx battery, you can still use the nfc transmitter or you can buy the nfc/wireless charging coil combo, it uses the same connector.

Thanks.

When you say the "plastic frame over the camera and stuff," do you mean the Replacement Part for Motorola Droid Ultra XT1080 Camera Lens and Bezel SKU: ESMOT131219106126? I'd post a link, but XDA won't allow that for some reason.

And the antenna? Why would that need replacing?
13th July 2014, 11:31 PM |#7  
Senior Member
Flag Piedras Negras, Coahuila
Thanks Meter: 58
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattK1

Thanks.

When you say the "plastic frame over the camera and stuff," do you mean the Replacement Part for Motorola Droid Ultra XT1080 Camera Lens and Bezel SKU: ESMOT131219106126? I'd post a link, but XDA won't allow that for some reason.

And the antenna? Why would that need replacing?

The camera lens and bezel is more smaller on the Maxx, I think because to be fitted on the battery, and the antenna, that is on the bottom on the phone, is much thicker, I think to fit the thickness of the back cover...
14th July 2014, 02:46 AM |#8  
Senior Member
Flag Illinois
Thanks Meter: 141
 
More
I am shocked to see a huge influx of new or like new 16gb maxxs on swappa.com for under 300. Just saying.

Sent from my unlocked consumer edition Motorola Droid Maxx xt1080m.
18th July 2014, 07:29 PM |#9  
Member
Flag Voronezh
Thanks Meter: 47
 
Donate to Me
More
i sucessfully converted my Droid Ultra to MAXX DE )) except storage size of course.
you may look at the my post here Caution! Russian language!
but just look at the pictures and ebay links - it's so simple to understanding))) alsow you can use google translation service.
Good luck!
19th July 2014, 04:15 PM |#10  
xxBrun0xx's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag West Hartford, CT
Thanks Meter: 246
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriend33

I am shocked to see a huge influx of new or like new 16gb maxxs on swappa.com for under 300. Just saying.

Sent from my unlocked consumer edition Motorola Droid Maxx xt1080m.

I just bought one locally for $200 in like new condition last week. If this phone cost double that, I still would have been happy. Stupid Verizon customers who don't understand how phone subsidies and gsm unlocks work are why these are so cheap. Its a good time to be an enthusiast.
Last edited by xxBrun0xx; 19th July 2014 at 04:20 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes